Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:18 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

Default Opinions on air ride...

Ok, so right now Im running hotchkis springs with tokico shocks struts and the 5 axis kit. I love the look and the ride but I'm a lil tired of worry where I can go with out messing up my kit.

I recently been think of air ride just so can have nice ride height and if need clearance just pop it up. Like for speed bumps or driveways etc.

Well I just wanted to get opinions from people that are running air ride or have had experience. Any input would be appriciated thank you.

Little background, xb is daily driver lover going anywhere usually have couple to full car of friends, that's why worried about clearance. Love taking car everywhere, just came back from yosemite no clearance issues but only 2ppl in car.

One idea for air ride was so could enjoy going to snow in winter. Any prob with that?

Well thanks for replys I'll stop rambling now.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive had air ride on a few vehicles and its not for the daily driver or for road trips, kiss your smooth ride gone and it will constantly need work, an air ride set up is never finished
Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

when you do it right it will last you forever... its rather expensive and can be a complete 'female dog' to install in some vehicles. its not for the daily driver, but it looks damn awesome...

and yes, before my xB i was into Minitrucks and have bagged my xB, worse vehicular decision evar
Old 09-14-2009, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like somebody doesn't need anymore Cowbell!
Old 09-14-2009, 04:19 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Why wouldnt air ride be good for a dd? This is something that comes on certain vehicles from the factory.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aftermarket air ride and OEM air ride are two diff things
Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OEM air ride wont set ur ride on the ground, just make minuscule adjustments to ride to compensate for weight, not make a show car, plus itll beat the crap outta your car if not set up right
Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Air is FINE for a daily driver. If you say otherwise, it was installed improperly. If you have a clue as to what you are doing, you will be fine.

IMO, miketf1 has one of the better setups right now. It'll get down as far as he wants, and he can dial it in so he doesn't muff up his 5Axis kit. If you need advice, feel free to PM me. I've yet to do air on my car. $$$'s short.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:39 PM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Air is FINE for a daily driver. If you say otherwise, it was installed improperly. If you have a clue as to what you are doing, you will be fine.

IMO, miketf1 has one of the better setups right now. It'll get down as far as he wants, and he can dial it in so he doesn't muff up his 5Axis kit. If you need advice, feel free to PM me. I've yet to do air on my car. $$$'s short.
thanks yea i know if done right with good money shouldnt be bad and much problems
Old 09-18-2009, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my setup is purely to get as low as physically possible and as of now with no frame modification it really may be the lowest setup.

if you want it just to pop up whenever you near a speed bump i say modify your tokicos and put some bags on it. the tokicos are taller than the ksport struts which means that it has more droop travel which means at full up you will sit higher than i will. on the opposite at full down you wont be as low as me but youll still be sitting pretty low.

as for the setup, based on my experience see if you can piece together your own setup rather than buying the UAS setup. i would say something like a 3gallon tank with a viar420 running 3/8" lines and something like a 150psi switch. the 3gallon will be about enough to raise up and down once or twice to show off. i would advise 1 or 2 420 viars rather than the 2 480's that im running cause its darn loud. and you dont need the faster 480s to pressure up to 150psi. the 150psi switch is cause 200 is a little too much. however if you want some super slow and smooth up/down i would say run some 1/4" lines.

hope it helps!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had my air runner for over a year daily driven 15k + and not had one single problem..........its all about installing it ....i had autofashion do my install who have been installing air for years now...........
Old 09-23-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want it to ride well and be reliable I recommend getting a kit that is meant to work together and not piece together a kit based on what is cheap.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

air rox!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it possible to lay the frame out with air bags? literally like the rear bumper touching the ground, what kits goes the lowest?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbdunks
is it possible to lay the frame out with air bags? literally like the rear bumper touching the ground, what kits goes the lowest?
You need to tub out to do that.

There's no bolt on kit that lays frame.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it possible to lay the frame out with air bags?
Miketf1 is getting pretty close:

Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so basically if I were to buy a coilover setup and replace the springs for airbag system I can get the car lower? Is it because of the perches on the coilover can be adjusted?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am also with Airrunner setup (modified) and this is my daily driver. probably average about 25 miles a day. I had my install done by Marshall of eight08Customs and he did the most amazing effen job. reliable and so sick! heres a link of some of the install.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...=156401&page=2

you can see some of the more recent pics on pg.3 and 4 of that forum w the five axis kit on. dont think its as low as miketf1's but pretty low.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so basically if I were to buy a coilover setup and replace the springs for airbag system I can get the car lower? Is it because of the perches on the coilover can be adjusted?
yes. thats what my kit is. but MaxBoost925 modified it some more to go even lower.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Like everyone has already stated, you can only go so low. If you wanted to fabricate an entire new swing axle, place the front pivots forward more, tub it, and bag it, you'd get down. Down as far as you could ever want. Trust me, I've hung out underneath my car just looking at stuff for more than half an hour... OEM gas tank would have to be tossed in lieu of a fuel cell, charcoal canister would have to be relocated, cut up and tubbed, etc. And that's all for the rear. For the front, the strut towers will probably have to be cut, even with coilovers. If you max the coilovers out all the way down, you can only get so much lift out of them before they max out full extension wise.

Or, you could go an option that I've been kicking around in my head. I'll have to get a couple chassis engineering books and read up...

Quick Reply: Opinions on air ride...