Notices

Tokico HP rear shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tokico HP rear shocks?

I just picked up a pair for the front but now cant find any for the rear in stock. I've ordered from 3 vendors only to be refunded because they are out of stock. I don't really want to run different brands on front and rear.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Side note: I'm swapping out my stock springs,shocks and struts for hopefully new Tokico shocks/struts and Tanabe NF210 springs. I want close as possible to stock ride height but better performance and smoother ride.
I've heard the NF210's are night and day over stock and currently my stock struts need to be replaced so might as well do it all at once. I'm on 17's and have the Hotchkis sways + strut bar up top.

2008 xB. (attached a few pics for fun)
Attached Thumbnails Tokico HP rear shocks?-img_2086.jpg   Tokico HP rear shocks?-img_2090.jpg   Tokico HP rear shocks?-img_2944.jpg   Tokico HP rear shocks?-img_2952.jpg   Tokico HP rear shocks?-img_0775.jpg  

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-22-2018 at 06:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-22-2018, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update: so after extensive searching and research I have found the rears to be discontinued and unavailable...which sucks. I returned the fronts which seem to be easily obtainable compared to the rears.

So...now my choice is between the TRDs for 450 or so or KYB Excel G. I really like the Red of TRD and really wanted the Bright Blue of Tokico but the KYB are half the price of TRD (except in black unfortunately).
I don't want a super stiff ride as this is a daily driver and adventure trip mobile for me...hence the small drop with NF210s and only replacing shocks and struts due to them being blow out and might as well do it all at once.

I'm thinking of doing the KYB and just painting them Red or Blue prior to installing. That mixed with the Red Tanabe springs should look sweet. Thoughts?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-23-2018 at 12:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Over a year ago, I was in the same boat. I was concerned about ordering the gas shocks & raising my ride height (was on Eibach springs).

Your ride height looks so high. I'm not used to seeing that?

I ended up going w/Megan Coilovers in which I was able to dial in my ride height.

Here's a pic.
This is likely not the response you were looking for but just wanted to share a similar experience

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-23-2018 at 12:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-23-2018, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, but not looking into coilovers at the moment. I actually was able to pickup both the KYB shocks/struts and the Tanabe NF210 springs for less than the TRD shocks/struts alone so that is what I'll be installing.
Most likely going to paint the KYB shocks a nice bright Blue to contrast with the Red springs. I'll post up results and pics once it all arrives and I've got it installed.

Oh and yes my ride height is completely stock. Only suspension change was the Hotchkis sway bar and upper strut bar. I quite often drive this car on a mix of windy paved mountain roads as well as dirt roads camping and backpacking where without the height
I would probably have not made it....which is why I'm only swapping to NF210s with the minor drop. I have just heard great things about the improved ride quality when switching to these springs and since the shocks/struts need replacing I figure I might as well
add the springs at the same time.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-24-2018 at 01:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2018, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

KYB painted Blue before install:

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-25-2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typo