Notices

Towing suspension plan is over dont worry!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:38 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

Default Towing suspension plan is over dont worry!!

Dont plan to tow big load with xb2 anymore so dont worry. If everyone reads all my post they will know i changed my mind and plan. Thank you for your time.

Planning to tow 1000-1200 pounds about 3-4 days a week fr upcoming mobile auto detailing business, and Im trying to decide on new suspension. Here's my ideas been thinking:
-tanabe nf210 with airlift 100 helper bags
-go to eibach in corona get custom high rated springs
-or go all out for air ride (could it handle load though)

Last edited by sp2; 02-24-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind that the xB is not rated to tow anything whatsoever. Also keep in mind the rated carrying capacity is 800lbs, that includes anything you put in the car, luggage, passengers, audio equipment. I would say towing 1000lbs would be pushing the limits of the car as is, and 2000lbs an extremely poor choice. If you're planning to carry any sort of load, I would advise you not to lower your car at all. The added weight will already lower the vehicle, and you will need all the suspension travel you can get. Have you looked into a pickup truck?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:46 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

i have but since have xb loan couldn't qualify and don't wish to get rid of xb
thanks for reply
Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, if you have an 4AT xB, I think the transmission would die pulling 1000-2000lbs regularly.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by buickid
Also, if you have an 4AT xB, I think the transmission would die pulling 1000-2000lbs regularly.

Yeah... I know your options may suck for getting something else...but what some are saying above me here are correct. It's not just a suspension mod issue. Towing that kind of weight on a regular basis would destroy the trans. It just wasn't designed to handle that kind of stress on it.

Good luck man.. I know it sucks to be between a rock and a hard place.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Then why do dealerships put tow hitchs on the xb2's when you buy them or go to them and say you want one on. I know yall are going to say to make more money out of you but I talked to a real good friend at a toyota/scion dealer that is service manger and he said you can tow up to 1200 pounds with no prob and if any probs acure you are covered under warrenty. I would ask the manager or service manager about the towing man.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

I was looking at 07 rav4 4cyl specs says towing rated at 1500lbs I know has same engine as our xb2 and has auto trans, Im sure the xb is not much difference engine trans wise. Plus rav4 300lbs heavyier
I don't plan to pull more than 1200 lbs at one time. This is with all my auto detailig gear and a full 90 gallon water tank. Got to think too when I use that water it will lighten the load so it's not like be 1000-1200 lbs every second I'm towing, tank empty xb be pulling about 600 including trailer. Idk

Let's try get back in track, not trying to ignre comments and concerns for more xb but no input on suspension has been made.

Anybody know what a good spring rate for that kind of load?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sp2: I'm sorry I'm not giving you the answer you want, but what you want to do is unsafe, and will potentially damage your vehicle.
90 gallons of water is 720lbs alone. Assuming you weigh 150lbs, thats already over the weight limit of the xB. Just because the Rav4 can tow, doesn't mean the xB can. Sure it might be the same engine with a 4AT, but the transmission could be an entirely different model. Or the transmission might have a lower final drive ratio. And it probably has a transmission cooler. The Rav4 chassis and xB chassis are different. One is designed to tow, the other probably not. Two entirely different cars that happen to share the same engine, maybe transmission. Most cars aren't designed to be pulling around their weight limit all the time. Sure it can pull 800lbs, and probably even 1,000lbs. But asking it do this all the time is a sure fire way to fry your trans, wear out bearings/linkages, and just generally wear things out quickly. You want a vehicle that can handle more than what you want to carry.

I've had the xB with ~900 lbs in it, and I can tell you the brake needed a decent amount of additional force to stop. The Rav4 probably has this taken into account. If you do decide to do this, keep in mind the possible implications. If you ever get into an accident and insurance finds out you were exceeding the rated limits of the vehicle, you might find yourself without any coverage. If Toyota find you exceeding the rated limits of the vehicle, you can probably bet on not having a warranty. You're gonna with you had one when that auto trans starts slipping.
If for some reason you still want to do this, keep the stock springs and get a helper bag for the rear. Any lowering won't help with weight carrying a bit. F-350s are raked forward for a reason.
I deny all responsibility if you get injured/injure anyone, or car is damaged, etc.

TheCCBox: Those trailer hitches are probably meant for a bike rack or similar. I'd like to see a dealership who says you can exceed the rated capacities of a vehicle, let alone keep warranty coverage. What if you got into an accident because the vehicle couldn't handle the extra weight? Huge lawsuit for the dealership. Manager or service manager will probably laugh at you if you bring in your xB and tell them you were regularly carrying 1200+lbs in a vehicle rated for 800lbs, and now your transmission is toast. They'll happily give you a four figure price for a new trans though.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:30 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

well me and 4 friends is about 1000lbs and iv driven like that several times no problems.
Its not going to be over 1000lb load, which is going to be every once in a while every couple days.
trailer 250-300lbs
washer 100lbs
50-60 tank 400-480lbs
misc gear 100-200
so about 1000lbs

This is only until i can save up money to pay off xb and get Xrunner. If bank would let me i would but can't right now.

thanks for everyones input

plan on getting trd big brake kit and some custom eibach springs in next week or 2 keep you guys updated
Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

X-Runner's payload capacity is about 400lbs less than any of the other Tacomas.
One car for work, one car for play is a good strategy, so you don't run into more payload problems like with the xB...
Old 02-16-2010, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheCCBox
Then why do dealerships put tow hitchs on the xb2's when you buy them or go to them and say you want one on. I know yall are going to say to make more money out of you but I talked to a real good friend at a toyota/scion dealer that is service manger and he said you can tow up to 1200 pounds with no prob and if any probs acure you are covered under warrenty. I would ask the manager or service manager about the towing man.
okay, scion/toyota, the people who conceived, designed and engineered your car openly say that the car is NOT rated to tow anything. i can't imagine why people think toyota would say this and not mean it. a cars towing capacity is a selling point.

now, your dealership will sell and install ANYTHING YOU PAY THEM TO, why for money. they'll sell you under coated, paint protection and scotchguarding for hundreds to thousands of dollars in mark-up. so selling you a tow hitch isn't out of the relm of possibilities.

now, they say it is under warranty, but when you need a new transmission, and toyota decides to investigate and notice a tow hitch on your box, they're going to take a guess and say you've been using this vehicle for towing, and it was never designed to do that.

your car, your risk, your money, but don't say you were not warned.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Towing suspension??

No need for a big brake kit. I would just get hawk hps pads for front and rear. I would get a strut tower bar and a rear sway bar to stiffen things up a bit. I'm upgrading to to the hotchkis swaybar set so if you need a trd bar make me an offer. :-)
Old 02-17-2010, 06:52 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

Already have hotchkis everything and tanabe strut bar

I know already warned thank you
doing a lot of thinking right now hard choice
Old 02-20-2010, 11:02 PM

i tow dj equipment on weekends and have had a couple issues... first off my tow load is about 1000lbs including trailer.. (automatic transmission) when i towed my entire system: my "Check Engine" and "VSC light" came on twice (different occasions, both during winter months)... nothing major, just had to reboot computer by unhooking battery for an hour. but when the lights came on - it is scary. I DO NOT recommend lowering your car when you plan on towing. just keep it easy when towing..
Old 02-21-2010, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yodjent
i tow dj equipment on weekends and have had a couple issues... first off my tow load is about 1000lbs including trailer.. (automatic transmission) when i towed my entire system: my "Check Engine" and "VSC light" came on twice (different occasions, both during winter months)... nothing major, just had to reboot computer by unhooking battery for an hour. but when the lights came on - it is scary. I DO NOT recommend lowering your car when you plan on towing. just keep it easy when towing..
Its possible that the ECU is complaining about an overheating transmission...
Old 02-22-2010, 06:18 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

Well after going to the smartwax grandopening event sat night I have actually learned about new low pressure washing systems that come in a 3 or 5 gallon system. Which is better environmentally, cheaper equipment wise and water cost wise and for my case lighter. Which allows me to use my xb2 for my future detailing business. So no more questions on towing 1000+ lbs.
So my new future weight load will probably be no more than 300lbs tops.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stechs stacked ontop of eachoter
Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 PM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zsanz
stechs stacked ontop of eachoter
naw i was thinking more like some BB springs with some TC struts and an XD camber kit and a 5x114.3 to 4x100 conversion kit
Old 02-24-2010, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Towing

Originally Posted by sp2
Planning to tow 1000-1200 pounds about 3-4 days a week fr upcoming mobile auto detailing business, and Im trying to decide on new suspension. Here's my ideas been thinking:
-tanabe nf210 with airlift 100 helper bags
-go to eibach in corona get custom high rated springs
-or go all out for air ride (could it handle load though)
I think probably the best thing to do is what ever you want to, you have all the answers since we don't know what we are talking about around here.
Then you will know for sure.
Your mileage my vary
jst my 2cts worth
Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

towed a cb750 with my box and little trailer. be nicer with bigger brakees but eh it was like driving my 91 camry again.
/manny trans.

let us know how it goes

Quick Reply: Towing suspension plan is over dont worry!!