Notices

With TRD Springs need an Alignment and or camber kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default With TRD Springs need an Alignment and or camber kit?

With TRD Springs do you need to do an Alignment and or camber kit? Thanks for the responses.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you def. should get an alignment, no need for the camber kit
Old 11-20-2007, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted someone to confirm it before I spent some $.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wait a week or two for the springs to settle before getting the alignment.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just ordered the trd shocks to go with the springs! oh yeah.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was going to get an alignment, but didn't need one. i travel 500+ miles a week for work and have no cupping or scalping what so ever and i've put about 7000 miles on it since the drop. it wouldn't hurt to do so... not at all. infact, i recommend it... i'm just too lazy!!
Old 11-25-2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
wait a week or two for the springs to settle before getting the alignment.
I disagree with this completely. While the spring will settle some, its not like the car is heavy. The alignment should be done immediately and re-checked if you see any signs of tire wear that isn't normal. Any time you disassemble or adjust suspension components that includes struts, springs, spindles, etc. - you should always have the alignment checked.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the trd front strut tower brace, rear sway, shocks & struts, and the lowering springs. Just waiting for my trd cai to arrive and then I will have the shocks & struts, lowering springs and cai installed. After that its to the aligment shop. With the strut tower brace and rear sway already installed it handles much better than stock so I can wait to get the rest on the machine.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:56 AM

Springs, and 19's with Nitto low profile tires make a MASSIVE difference in the way the xB2 handles... I drove my car before it was lowered on its test drive and then again when I picked it up from being delivered by the dealer with the wheels/tires/springs installed. The difference is definitely night and day.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Infernl what is springs, and what size tire. If you have the trd springs with 235/35/19 tires could you measure the distance from the front lip to the ground, because I am trying to figure out if I can go lower and make it into my driveway. Thanks,.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've gone over 3,000 miles now since installing my TRD springs without an alignment. No signs of any adverse tire wear yet. Not recommending skipping the alignment but it doesn't seem overly critical. It may help to push in on the strut as you tighten the it to increase negative camber, as recommended in the TRD directions. YMMV.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:00 AM
SL Member

Alignment dats it
Old 11-28-2007, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I've gone over 3,000 miles now since installing my TRD springs without an alignment. No signs of any adverse tire wear yet. Not recommending skipping the alignment but it doesn't seem overly critical. It may help to push in on the strut as you tighten the it to increase negative camber, as recommended in the TRD directions. YMMV.
Installed TRD springs, no alignment. 1500 miles later no noticeable tire wear issues.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by fuqua
Infernl what is springs, and what size tire. If you have the trd springs with 235/35/19 tires could you measure the distance from the front lip to the ground, because I am trying to figure out if I can go lower and make it into my driveway. Thanks,.
I'll check, haven't been on here in a day or so, so I didn't see this. I'll have the measurement for you by tomorrow night for sure. Yes, I have TRD springs, and I do have 235/35/19 Nitto NT555s.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet, then I can calc it to figure out if I can get in and out of my driveway. Also, how do you like the ride?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:46 PM

sweet, then I can calc it to figure out if I can get in and out of my driveway. Also, how do you like the ride?
5 inches from ground to plastic shrouding/under-body shielding. This also includes the lowest portion of the car.

7 inches from ground to lip/bumper lower edge.

STOCK SUSPENSION:
The ride stock is soft and comfortable, what you would expect from a newer smaller vehicle. Cornering was less than stellar, and felt very sloppy with extensive body roll. I do not have sway bars or a strut brace installed.

TRD LOWERED SUSPENSION WITH 235/35/19 NITTO NT555:
The ride is stiffer as is to be expected with any static lowering of any vehicle. The ride is sharper than stock, but not uncomfortable. Cornering is improved night & day over stock. Dropping the car into 2nd gear at approximately 35-40mpg and taking a corner with a twist of the steering wheel is done confidently and without any slipping of the tires or slop of the suspension whatsoever. An alignment is crucial with a lowered suspension to ensure that the steering wheel snaps back to center after cornering. My xB snaps perfectly to center every time, and I think I scare my wife when I drive the car.... lol (Note: I don't see the need for either a strut brace or sway bars with the car now - its that good with handling and is THAT much fun to drive).
Old 12-04-2007, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, thanks for the measurements. I also like the write up, I will let you know what I decide. My trd cai arrived today so I am going to do some calcs and then go from there. Thanks again.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the trd front strut tower brace, rear sway, shocks & struts, and the lowering springs. Just waiting for my trd cai to arrive and then I will have the shocks & struts, lowering springs and cai installed. After that its to the aligment shop. With the strut tower brace and rear sway already installed it handles much better than stock so I can wait to get the rest on the machine.
Sound like you got the creme de la creme of suspension. How about sharing your thoughts about your new suspension? Pics?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:28 PM
SL Member

anyone know the best place to get an alignment after drop?
I might just go to the dealership, but the one nearby said their machines are old and might not fit on my car (wtf? haha)

i've been to goodyear, midas, meineke, and they all won't do it because its not 'factory' settings and they don't have it supported on their machine.

i'll be in the raleigh durham area....any recommendations?

btw looking for $85 max cause thats what dealer quotes at.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

D_Unit, this thread just got bumped back to the top. I have everything and have not installed cai, springs and shocks yet, and I just got a bunch more toys for Christmas. But here is the problem, I am serious considering ditching the trd shocks and springs and going with coilovers. Only set currently availabe is by Ksport. So it trd vs. ksport right now and I am stuck. I will keep everyone updated as we go.

Quick Reply: With TRD Springs need an Alignment and or camber kit?