Notices

Did you swap your TPMS to your new wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Did you swap your TPMS to your new wheels?

Just wondering how many of you guys swapped over your sensors? My new wheels are coming next week, but I really don't plan to swap the sensors. Don't know if $100+ to swap sensors is worth it for me... The light I can ignore, and I check my tire pressure so often I am not really concerned about going low in the first place.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I didnt change out mine.

Sounds like you wont need to either. I could live with the light too, but one day I had some spare time so I took the gauges out and put tape over the sensor light. It literally took me 10 mins, and the tape wasnt even black, it was a normal painters tape. No light for me anymore
Old 03-19-2009, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I kept mine. Why not just have them put in when the tires are being installed?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had mine installed as well. This is because I bought wheels online and tires locally - it was not a problem to have the sensors swapped in. The conundrum is that a tire and wheel package can be bought for so much less online. If I had gone that route I would have contemplated the worthiness of getting the TPMS installed too. Although I think the feature is pretty cool, I'm not the type of guy who lets his tires get flat. I check pressure every 2 weeks at the least. But what if you're on a long road trip? Will the TPMS alert you in time to pull over before having a blowout? If so then I think it's definitely worth it to put the sensors in your new wheels. I might move up to 18s someday and will have to think about buying online vs locally. I think you can try and get the best of both worlds if you haggle with the tire shop to match the online prices.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I bought my wheels locally I probably would have had them swapped, but since I got them mounted and ready to bolt on, it is a big hassle for me to take my car and all my tires up to shop for them to swap, and pay them 100$+. I guess I will just have to see how annoying that light can be ;) But I doubt it be an issue.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Invertalon
If I bought my wheels locally I probably would have had them swapped, but since I got them mounted and ready to bolt on, it is a big hassle for me to take my car and all my tires up to shop for them to swap, and pay them 100$+. I guess I will just have to see how annoying that light can be ;) But I doubt it be an issue.
That was my exact situation, I had a set of wheels and tires ready to bolt on and did not want to spend the 80$ on tpms sensors
Old 03-25-2009, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After driving around a few days, it really does not bother me one bit. It comes on like 45mins after I start driving because I store my tires right in the garage next to my car so it takes a while for the car to "lose" the sensors. lol
Old 03-25-2009, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It comes on like 45mins after I start driving because I store my tires right in the garage next to my car so it takes a while for the car to "lose" the sensors. lol
Fixed it for you.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now who did that?? I don't see any mistakes! haha
Old 03-26-2009, 08:49 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

After driving around a few days, it really does not bother me one bit. It comes on like 45mins after I start driving
This is what I don't understand, if the system does not detect tire pressure, shouldn't the light turn on farily fast (not 45 mins)?

I'm waiting for my tires to come in so I can mount my 17" Scion 10 spoke wheels but I don't plan to install the old sensors from my steelies.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah it really is funny... I left this morning for school and the light never came on. Over two plus hours later get out of school, back in car, start it up, still no light. Make a stop on the way home, still nothing.

I think there has to be some car-running timer away from the wheels before it alerts you. I will time it this weekend when I go my cousins house over an hour away. See how long the car actually has to be running before it alerts you, cause obviously it doesn't even think about it when the car is off! You think it would run a "system check" when you start the car, but it doesn't detect it!