Notices

help me with my rims!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:37 AM
SL Member

Default help me with my rims!

so i installed my axis apex rims today. and it seemed that everything was fine. HOWEVER

after they put on the fronts, they tried the rears and THEY DID NOT FIT!

it appears that the offset and something near the middle of the rim is rubbing against the caliper. it would fit on the car itself, but it would not spin because it was hitting the rear calipers.

help me with my rims!-photo-1.jpg

you can see where his finger is. that part is not in the front rim at all. just in the rears. that is what is hitting the caliper.

help me with my rims!-photo-2.jpg

that 5 star looking design is that part that is not in the fronts

help me with my rims!-photo-3.jpg

the guys at the tire shop then switched it and put the fronts on the rear and the rears on the front and that worked. I'm sure that the people at axis did not mean for this because it looks ridiculous. so now i'm riding with the 4" lip in the front and the 2.75" lip in the back. it makes me wonder why the ppl at axis didn't mention this because they need to put a disclaimer out there!

it appears that i need spacers for the rear. and after measuring the difference between the front rim and rear rim, the difference of the metal is about 18mm. i'm guessing a 15 mm spacer will be fine.

after calling the ppl i ordered the rims from, he said that a pair of hubcentric spacers would be $160. i really don't want to spend that money (does it cost that much?!)

1. do i need hubcentric spacers? or will regular spacers work?

2. where can i get some 5x114.3 spacers? ebay? any auto store?

15mm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15mm-...ts_Accessories

10mm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10mm-...ts_Accessories

i found these. but i'm really struggling which ones i need. 10mm or 15mm. the metal piece is 18mm extra from the fronts, but i really don't think that it is 18mm rubbing into the calipers. i'm unsure how much clearance i need. hard to ballpark.

ok. enough rambling. help me!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure if you might rub tire/fender by adding a 15mm spacer to a +35 offset wheel. If you think you can get away with 10mm spacers, then go with the Ichiba v1 (the v2 isn't available in 10mm).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ichib...Q5fAccessories
Old 08-06-2010, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

project kics makes 10mm bolt ons... you might have to cut the oem studs for them tho. they are 150 a piece.
or you can always stack two 3 mil spacers [to get 6mm] and shave the caliper down, thats what i did
Old 08-06-2010, 02:35 PM
SL Member

thanks for the pm cionide

now. i still have a few q's. what is the difference between the ichiba V1 and v2?

on fastscions.com they have the v1 with extra studs. where the v2. has the studs bolted on. which one do i need?

and i was shopping for which place has them cheapest and i found a few different things. on fast scions. the center bore is 54.1. this other site has 64.1 for the center bore http://www.robearracing.com/pd-ichib...-bore-15mm.cfm

and another site has the center bore 60.1 http://store.ichibausa.com/15albowhsp10.html

does it make a difference what it is?

anyone able to find these for cheaper than $135 with shipping? i found that from ebay.

thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All answers in bold.
Originally Posted by jaytrey
thanks for the pm cionide
You're welcome.

now. i still have a few q's. what is the difference between the ichiba V1 and v2?
Just the fact that the v2 has the new studs already pressed into the spacers, making them quicker & easier to install. If you want 15mm, I suggest the v2, but as I said earlier, if you want 10mm you need the v1 because they don't make the 10mm in v2. I'm only guessing but I don't think you would need a full 15mm for caliper clearance. Is there any way to mock up a 3/8" thick (a hair more than 10mm) piece of wood to throw on between the hub & wheel for a quick test fit for clearance?

on fastscions.com they have the v1 with extra studs. where the v2. has the studs bolted on. which one do i need?
See above.

and i was shopping for which place has them cheapest and i found a few different things. on fast scions. the center bore is 54.1. this other site has 64.1 for the center bore http://www.robearracing.com/pd-ichib...-bore-15mm.cfm

and another site has the center bore 60.1 http://store.ichibausa.com/15albowhsp10.html

does it make a difference what it is?
The 54.1 hub size is for the xA, tC, xD, and 1st-Gen xB. This is too small for the xB2 and will not fit on the hubs.
The 60.1 hub size is for the 2nd-Gen xB. This is what you want.
The 64.1 hub size too large. This would require hub rings b/w the hubs & spacers, as well as the rings you already have going b/w the spacers and the wheels.

anyone able to find these for cheaper than $135 with shipping? i found that from ebay.
I gave you links for the 15mm v2 @ $123 (cheapest I found), and the 10mm v1 @ $90.

thanks
Hope that does it for you.

Last edited by CIONIDE; 08-06-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:00 PM
SL Member

great.

so when i measured it outside yesterday, it was about 6mm of clearance that i needed. would it be ok to go with a 15mm spacer instead of a 10 even if 10mm is enough? is there any risk using longer than what is needed?

i do like the fact that it is already bolted on and i just need to plug and play.

thanks for that info
Old 08-06-2010, 04:02 PM
SL Member

also, i don't think i will have rubbing issues because i'm not on a drop (yet). and it's for the rears not the fronts. so i don't think there will be rubbing by turning or anything.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, i don't think i will have rubbing issues because i'm not on a drop (yet). and it's for the rears not the fronts. so i don't think there will be rubbing by turning or anything.
15mm will push out the wheels 5/8" and you shouldn't rub at stock height, but I can't say the same when you drop it. If you only need about 6mm, I'd go with the 10mm spacers, but it's your decision.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:10 PM
SL Member

if i get the 10mm's will i need to cut the stock bolts? like the previous poster said? or shave the caliper at all?

because i have no idea on how to do that? will i even need to use the longer bolts that are included in the kit?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i get the 10mm's will i need to cut the stock bolts? like the previous poster said? or shave the caliper at all?
Looking at the backside of your wheels, the stock lug bolts should sit in the recesses b/w the wheels' mounting holes (where the guys finger is in the 1st pic) just fine. I see no need for any cutting. If 6mm is all the clearance you need, then there should be no need to shave the calipers either.

because i have no idea on how to do that? will i even need to use the longer bolts that are included in the kit?
Yes, you will definitely need to use the longer bolts. The spacers will bolt onto the stock lugs, and the longer bolts will run through the spacers to bolt the wheels on.
It should all work if 6mm is all you need.

Last edited by CIONIDE; 08-06-2010 at 04:50 PM.