Notices

I really would appreciate some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I really would appreciate some help

Heres the deal. just got back from 15K inspection runin on 18,000 miles.

I needed a new filter, alignment, fuel something injection, and new tires.

BUTLOAD of money
For filter im gonna try to get a K&N i can clean myself

But tires im lost.
I have to get new tires. maybe rims. but i dont really have the money for em. they quoted me at 514.00 for tires at the dealrship.

in tires i need. all season. i dont believe in winter tires. I am a very spirited driver so i take turns hard and gas hard. i heard about toyo proxes 4. but thats about it.

price range really is about 600. So maybe i can snag some rims somewhere too.

When it comes to tire size. what does plus zero mean? I would like to get 18 inch rims but i may have to get 16's with wider tires. so if thats enough information let me know. sooner the better.

Stock xb too no lowering.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have toyo proxes 4 on my tc. It is excellent in dry and wet road.
but kinda sucks in snow.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GammaTNT
i have toyo proxes 4 on my tc. It is excellent in dry and wet road.
but kinda sucks in snow.
i forget what the stocks for the xb were. but they have like NO life and i just battled the weather. I want to say im a very aware driver so im willling to bet if i could handle my dead stocks in the snow anything else has to be better.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as of right now im looking at this
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....cleSearch=true

can anyone make any comparsions to the toyo proxys 4?? this tire was ranked number one on tire rank in my categories. and i think i may go stock. plus zero or just making wider may do more harm than good since im not getting rims at this point (no cash)
Old 12-31-2008, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey FroZone, I know I've given you a lot of ribbing in past postings about Hello K, but I really am here to help you out.

Plus sizing means how much larger than stock the wheel diameter is... plus zero means sticking with a 16" diameter wheel; plus 1 = 17" wheels; plus 2 = 18" wheels, etc.

If you want both wheels and tires in the plus $600 range, I would suggest the winter Momo's from Tires Direct:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...1&wd=16&rw=6.5
They'll hold up well in winter, and the glossy silver powder coat will look good on BSP.

I would also suggest Falken ZIEX ZE-912 225/50-16 tires. These are about 3/4" wider than stock, but will drive well in snow and handle far better on dry pavement than the OEM tires. They also have an asymmetric tire pattern, so they can be fully rotated which will give you a longer tread life. Tires-Easy.com diffinitely has the best pricing:
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...sco=135&Achse=

By the time it's all said and done with shipping, mounting & balancing, and swapping TPMS sensors, you'll probably be closer to $750 but I think you'll really be happy with the final outcome, and the longevity of the wheels and tires for those frozen NY winters.

If you don't want to spend the $$ on the wheels, just get the Falken tires and be done with it for around $400.

That leaves $200 for some more butterknife mods! :D

Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so would u take the falkens over the Bridgestones?? and i could have discount tire price match tires-easy couldnt i?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and for rims

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=7&vid=011807

or

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=7&vid=011807

either 16" drifters or 17 fixe x's

DAMN i really cant decide between those two rims. can anyone break down how much of a difference 1" of diameter makes?? I'm gonna see if discount will pricematch. i would love that.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A friend of mine had Potenza 960 Pole Positions on his Audi All-Road that he drove to Lake Tahoe on ski trips regularly and hated them. He said they rode very harshly and didn't last worth a crap. I will say that his All-Road has the V-8 so he's putting down a lot more horsepower than our 4-banger. He now has the Falken 912's and likes them much better, but it's a whole different car so no guarantees that they would be better than the 960's on an xB. (Keep in mind that the 960's are directional, so no full rotation with them.)

Discount Tire claims to have the cheapest prices, so maybe they'll price match. My guess is they will claim better customer service (which they do have) is worth a little bit more. No harm in asking.

Those black wheels are just painted, so winter road salt will wear on them more than the powder coated Momo's I suggested. It just means you need to be extra diligent with washing and cleaning them (a butterknife won't help here). Either way you need to clean the salt off, so probably not a huge deal.

If you're willing to spend for both tires & wheels, jump to the 17's, but save your steelies in case you decide to get some dedicated winter tires for them in the future. (Nice 17's with all-season performance tires for 3 seasons, and the steelies with Blizzaks for the winter.)
Old 12-31-2008, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
A friend of mine had Potenza 960 Pole Positions on his Audi All-Road that he drove to Lake Tahoe on ski trips regularly and hated them. He said they rode very harshly and didn't last worth a crap. I will say that his All-Road has the V-8 so he's putting down a lot more horsepower than our 4-banger. He now has the Falken 912's and likes them much better, but it's a whole different car so no guarantees that they would be better than the 960's on an xB. (Keep in mind that the 960's are directional, so no full rotation with them.)

Discount Tire claims to have the cheapest prices, so maybe they'll price match. My guess is they will claim better customer service (which they do have) is worth a little bit more. No harm in asking.

Those black wheels are just painted, so winter road salt will wear on them more than the powder coated Momo's I suggested. It just means you need to be extra diligent with washing and cleaning them (a butterknife won't help here). Either way you need to clean the salt off, so probably not a huge deal.

If you're willing to spend for both tires & wheels, jump to the 17's, but save your steelies in case you decide to get some dedicated winter tires for them in the future. (Nice 17's with all-season performance tires for 3 seasons, and the steelies with Blizzaks for the winter.)
yea i think since i never cleaned my wheels that might have been an issue too. and im def keepin the steelies. save for a year and throw some heavy duty snows on there. if u wrao a butterknife in a swiffer pad however then i can get into those deep spaces. now if i go pick the 17s where will i have to get a new tpms sensor? and how much? and discount tire says it will have a package mounted and balanced for free. ready to bolt on. does that mean if i go to a preffered installer they will install/mount for free?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also if i pick 17's what size tire do i get?? i clicked several prices and sometimes the price went way up or down. which is better for someone who tends to drive a little aggressive.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TPMS sensors are programmed to the car. Most people with two sets of wheels and tires (winter for snow vs. rest of the year) just keep the sensors in one set and deal with the dash light being on when using the other set.

Unless you know somebody at a tire shop that will swap the sensors back & forth (as well as remount & balance) every time you switch between wheel sets, it's not worth the cost.

If you buy a whole second set of sensors, it will cost around $400, and that doesn't include the programming at Toyota/Scion so that the new sensors will be recognized by your xB. You will need to keep track of the serial numbers on each sensor in the two sets of wheels, and have them reprogrammed every time you switch wheel/tire sets.

I think you see now why most people with two sets of wheels/tires just leave the sensors in one set, and put up with the dash light the rest of the time.

For 17" tires, go with 225/45-17.

Some places price match, others don't. All you can do is ask about it, and see if they include free mounting & balancing or not. It never hurts to ask. Keep in mind that having a local shop handle the mounting & balancing gives you some place to go if there are any problems.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i was refering to discounttires claim. for free mounting and balancing with tire/wheel combos.

I think i would just have my sensors reset for the new tires and deal with the lights on the winter set.

i just still have to decide between the drifter or the five x. ahh decisions decisions.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you're referring to free mounting & balancing when you order tires & wheels over the internet from DiscountTireDirect.com, because Discount Tire/America's Tire Co. doesn't have any brick & mortar stores in New York.

It sounds like you want the sensors in the new tires & wheels. If that's the case, then you'll need to have the new ones broken down when they arrive so that you can have the sensors installed (they mount to the wheel, inside the tire).

This means they'll need to be mounted and balanced after the sensors are installed anyway.

Did I misunderstand something FroZone?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you're referring to free mounting & balancing when you order tires & wheels over the internet from DiscountTireDirect.com, because Discount Tire/America's Tire Co. doesn't have any brick & mortar stores in New York.

It sounds like you want the sensors in the new tires & wheels. If that's the case, then you'll need to have the new ones broken down when they arrive so that you can have the sensors installed (they mount to the wheel, inside the tire).

This means they'll need to be mounted and balanced after the sensors are installed anyway.

Did I misunderstand something FroZone?
nope u got it all! i didn't know they actually had stores at all. i thought maybe it was included if u went to a sponsored installer. but now im set. i just gotta pick the wheels. and of cousrse figure out how to get pay for it all. haha.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since you now know that you have to put the sensors on the wheels before the tires are mounted & balanced, what do you think about ordering the tires & wheels from two different suppliers?

I haven't seen anybody that can touch www.Tires-Easy.com for tire prices, but they don't handle wheels.

If you want to expand your wheel selection, check out these sites; they all have wheels at some really great prices:
www.tirerack.com
www.nlmotoring.com
www.edgeracing.com
www.victoriatire.co
www.wheelfire.co
www.wheelmax.co
www.1010tires.co

It really won't take that long to look, and if you're going to spend the $$ you might as well make sure you get what you want.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what you can do is get a price on a tire from one source and take it to discount tire and they will match the price, that is unless you have a costco account and you can get a good deal going with them.

side note: i wish tires were that cheap for my FJ. spent close to $1200 for tires when i needed them.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't seen anybody that can touch www.Tires-Easy.com for tire prices, but they don't handle wheels.
Wow...those prices really are good!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by curtisc
Wow...those prices really are good!
Their prices aren't good, they're great!

They only make a couple dollars on each tire, but I want to promote them so that they don't go out of business. When you sell several million tires a year, a couple dollars each of profit is all you need.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YOOOOO. edgeracing.com

Tell me what u think
Enkie Rs& 18"
Falken 912 225-40-18

770. out the door. now edge racing does not have a roadhazard program. soooo anythoughts? on that
Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is the typical warranty on a set of tires. if say im drivin and the tire just BLOWS right out. would i be covered if i had normal wear and nothing wrong with my car?