Notices

The Official 17" Club Thread - Who's Coming With Me???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting. Got a pic yet?

Hopefully the harsher ride is due to your tires. The stock tires are supposed to be touring tires I think. Despite the bad reviews for the Bridgestone Turanza EL400 on tirerack.com, I think they ride pretty nicely. Cornering isn't so great though. I was hit hard by the tax man, but if/when I move up to 17s, 18s I'm going to shop around for A/S touring/sport touring tires. I wonder if high perforamce or ultra high performance tires would be a little stiff?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i am going to try to not go lower then a 45 series on mine when i finally get rims ... would prefer to keep a 50 series even if my speedo is off a little
Old 04-16-2008, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
Interesting. Got a pic yet?

Hopefully the harsher ride is due to your tires. The stock tires are supposed to be touring tires I think. Despite the bad reviews for the Bridgestone Turanza EL400 on tirerack.com, I think they ride pretty nicely. Cornering isn't so great though. I was hit hard by the tax man, but if/when I move up to 17s, 18s I'm going to shop around for A/S touring/sport touring tires. I wonder if high perforamce or ultra high performance tires would be a little stiff?
I'll snap pics later today after work if I can. I'm picking up my refinished center caps from the anodizing shop today during lunch, so my wheels should be complete come picture time. I'm running 2 different brand name tires (Michellin/Perelli), but they must be at the lower end because I'm not too happy with them... I agree tho... I will definitely get a touring/sport tire next time... To me, the XB is a comfort/cruiser car... I'll leave the sports car tires for the other sports car in the garage....
Old 04-16-2008, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by -Devil-
i am going to try to not go lower then a 45 series on mine when i finally get rims ... would prefer to keep a 50 series even if my speedo is off a little
The "45" part is just a proportion of the width of the tire. You can get a little taller tire if you went 235/45 or 245/45 if you wanted. If it was me, I'd stick with a 225/45 tire because there are A LOT of options in this size and the pricing is great compared to other sizes, especially 19" size tires....
Old 04-16-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by D_Unit
The "45" part is just a proportion of the width of the tire. You can get a little taller tire if you went 235/45 or 245/45 if you wanted. If it was me, I'd stick with a 225/45 tire because there are A LOT of options in this size and the pricing is great compared to other sizes, especially 19" size tires....
hmmm thanks for the tip on the 225/45 ... that would still have a decent amount of sidewall for some flex ... will stick with a touring one for sure on mine to ... more interested in overall milage ... and wet weather handling .. then 100mph speeds
Old 04-16-2008, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm thanks for the tip on the 225/45 ... that would still have a decent amount of sidewall for some flex ... will stick with a touring one for sure on mine to ... more interested in overall milage ... and wet weather handling .. then 100mph speeds
QFT!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am proud of my 17X8's with 235/45/17's all around. Great ride and handling.

[/img]
Old 04-17-2008, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a very very nice setup wrczx3. The rims look good and tire profile looks just as thin as I like it. I think the rims match up perfectly and look a lot better than most of the bigger rims I see. Those rims are a great color combo on your car! Thanks for adding to the thread buddy....

Old 04-17-2008, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member

I just joined the 17" (and TRD spring/strut) club!

Spring is here in upstate (near Syracuse) NY, so the stock steelies (with snows tires on them) are off and it was time to upgrade the suspension. Lexus 17" x 7.5" replica wheels with Kumho ASX 225/45 tires and TRD Springs & Shocks/struts all installed last week. The ride is really good, handles very nicely and I am very happy with the look.

Other mods include Mobile HID low beams, Scion Fogs, Xpel Clearbra, removed A Piller black out tape.

BTW, If anyone wants a rear hatch area cargo net (new - came with the car and I removed it - they just get in my way), I have one for sale.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I said it once and I'll say it again, 17s look the best on XBs. I love the look of those Lexus replicas and great photography. I also like the way you setup your suspension properly--seems like the "other" guys forget how important that stuff is. Thanks for posting!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

that looks perfect! ...

i am planning suspension as well, but considering K-sport coilovers instead of shocks / springs ... for more fine tuning ... will only bring it down about an inch lower then stock tho
Old 04-17-2008, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member

that looks perfect! ...

i am planning suspension as well, but considering K-sport coilovers instead of shocks / springs ... for more fine tuning ... will only bring it down about an inch lower then stock tho
Thanks for the kinds words guys...

Sounds like the overall drop that you are looking for is right around what my TRD springs/struts do, but the coilovers will allow you top better dial in how low you want to go! I was on more of a budget ( I got good prices on the TRD stuff) though (just assuming coilovers cost more.... generally the way it is with Vdubs), so this ws perfect for me.

I've already put about 700 miles on the TRD Spring/Shock/Strut combo and I am really amazed how well it rides. A bit more firmer than stock and perfectly damped.

P.S. Pics were taken with my Canon G9 digicam. A great camera the was really re-awakened my old photography passion since I bought it a few months ago.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:35 AM

Wow Rich, really nice setup there! Although I'm not a total fan of the rim style, I totally think that the rims look great on the xb. I love how your wheel and tire setup creates an even gap all throughout the wheel well. I'm just curious, where did you get the lexus replica? I just showed my brother your setup and explained to him how i want my xb to look exactly like yours stance-wise. I think the trd drop is jsut perfect for the setup.

I really couldn't say enough about your xb man.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by j-pol
Wow Rich, really nice setup there! Although I'm not a total fan of the rim style, I totally think that the rims look great on the xb. I love how your wheel and tire setup creates an even gap all throughout the wheel well. I'm just curious, where did you get the lexus replica? I just showed my brother your setup and explained to him how i want my xb to look exactly like yours stance-wise. I think the trd drop is jsut perfect for the setup.

I really couldn't say enough about your xb man.
Wow, thanks J-pol!

I got the wheels through OE wheel Distributors (you can find the company through thier E-bay store) in Sarasota FL. I think they were closing them out from what I could gather (don't see much of anything listed on thier e-bay store at present) you can reach them via phone @ 1 866 273 3651. They cost about $500 for the set with shipping. They had some other lexus reps available too at the time.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

http://www.xxrwheels.com/sportmax_512.shtml#

found a wheel i am considering .. but having a bugger of a time finding a place that sells them and can answer some questions on em ...

still leaning more to the Tenzo R Type M's ... but these stand out to me ...
Old 04-18-2008, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try these guy. They sell XXR wheels.
http://www.edgeracing.com/2008/Scion/xB/wheels/17/
Old 04-20-2008, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wrczx3 are you lowered??
Old 04-20-2008, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TRDChargedtC
wrczx3 are you lowered??
That is not a good angle to tell that I am lowered. I have Tanabe NF210's on there. Look for some other pics I have on here.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Long live the 17" Club!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

wheels and tires look great! ... waiting for that stimulus check to come in so i can get mine ...

hmmm the roof rack doesn't look all that bad on there ...

Quick Reply: The Official 17" Club Thread - Who's Coming With Me???