Notices

Polishing painted wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Polishing painted wheels

I have gunmetal on my Sonata and Black on my xB, and just bought the Meguirs powerball.

Should I just use car wax like Meguirs NXT??
Old 07-26-2009, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would not, some times if you wax a car wheel with car wax the heat from the brakes can discolor your rims. For wheels get a good wheel cleaner in a spray, use and wash off and wash again with car wash soap and rinse you should be good.

I waxed some black wheels of mine once, it faded the paint bad. So I repainted them gunmetal color lots of work.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well dang, I was hoping to do it the easy way
Old 08-17-2009, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.wheelwax.com/

check that out. I sell it at my work, and haven't tried it yet... I'm a little afraid because of the finish of my wheels... I just sent them an email asking if it was safe for painted/hyperblack wheels... I'll let you know...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't touch the wheel cleaner. They maybe safe but over time with continuous use they will eat the clear/paint off the rims, leading to discolor or fading of colors. Just some soap and water with a good brush will work fine on wheels.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member

Use rubbing compound, it takes off brake dust and will leave them like new with out scratching the clear coat.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

I'd just give 'em a good cleaning and use regular wax. Never had any problems with that method.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:27 PM

hoping you can help/advise..have a 2007 XB...only ONE of my TRD 19 inch has spots (in some places green in color) all over it on the lip and interior but not on the spokes.
Took it to Toyota and the Scion Rep said that I couldnt get a warranty exchange. can i get something done? like paint them - just the lip and not the spoke? from afar, nobody notice but within a couple of feet of the car, it seems like somebody scratched the freaking rim..very disheartening..
Old 09-05-2009, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
I'd just give 'em a good cleaning and use regular wax. Never had any problems with that method.
The problem with regular wax is that it breaks down at 96 degrees (somewhere around there) When the wax breaks down, mix with brake dust, it could possibly leave bad streaks and what not on the paint. I heard back from wheel wax, and it's designed to withstand high heat. I bought a container of it right before my surgery so I haven't had a chance to use it. I talked to some co-workers who used it, and it seems to work better than the blue magic i used on my chrome wheels. I'm gonna try the wheel wax on my hyperblack TSWs.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:33 PM

I think using regular wax should suffice
Old 10-04-2009, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm happy to report, the wheelwax worked WONDERS on my wheels.. not a visual difference, however they are really slick, and clean up real nice.. don't know if it' worth the price, but works well...
Old 01-14-2010, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Regular wax breaking down at 96 degrees? Are you serious? If that were the case it would do the same on the car if you left it in the sun.
Any issues you presently have can be fixed with some Scratch X then followed with your favorite wax.
Regular clearcoat wax works fine on wheels. Used it on the 18" TRDs for years without issue 1. Works great on steelies and caps also.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I use Meguiar's NXT Generation™ Tech Wax 2.0 synthetic car wax on car + my custom painted staggard 18" Axis wheels and don't have any problems. Good Luck

Synthetic car wax is gaining in popularity because it is more durable than traditional carnauba car wax. The majority of synthetic car products are manufactured with special silicone polymers that bond to the surface, allowing it to better shield the paint. Carnauba wax, on the other hand, sits on the surface and can quickly wear off.
  • Synthetic car wax tends to be easier to use because it requires less effort to apply.
  • Synthetic car polish is a very useful product because it can remove minor swirl marks and light oxidation from the pain surface. Synthetic wax or carnauba wax can be applied over synthetic car polish for added shine and protection.
  • Many synthetic waxes only need to be applied every few months unlike carnauba car waxes that require frequent application in order to maintain protection and shine.
  • Synthetic car wax costs about the same as traditional wax but because it offers longer lasting protection, it may actually cost less in use.
  • Synthetic wax and polish tends to attract less dust to the clean paint surface.
  • Carnauba waxes cause water to bead, which can result in water spots, but the majority of synthetic car wax and polishes allow water to sheet off the surface.
As with most waxes and polishes, it is best to use synthetic car wax on a clean, cool surface in the shade. Some experts suggest applying a layer of a traditional carnauba wax on top of the synthetic wax or polish for a deeper shine. Synthetic car products, whether they are wax or polish, offer long lasting protection from the elements and help keep a car looking cleaner and newer for longer.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try this.http://www.chemicalguys.com/Wheel_Wa..._p/wac_303.htm