Notices

TPMS re-initialization help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 05:57 PM

Default TPMS re-initialization help

New to the group, 2nd time Scion buyer. Recently bought the 08 XB. Had new wheels put on. In the process, the tire place broke one of the sensors, so they had to get me another one in which they got from the dealer. Only problem is the light is still on due to the new sensor. The manual states when replacing a sensor it must be taken to the dealer. I don't buy that. There must be a way (disconnecting battery for _ amount of time, etc.) so that I can bypass the dealer. Any help?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't offer a direct answer, but, you could try some other sites also, even google.

Given that Toyota is putting TPMS in every model now, someone out there will be able to answer this.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

has to go back to the dealership... it has to be reporogramed tot he right Fequency. Its a wire less device..

did you try pressing the reset button in teh glove box?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:35 AM

Sorry, but it does need to go back to the dealer.

Each sensor has a unique seven digit serial number. All 4 of the car's serial numbers need to be programmed to the TPMS ECU in the vehicle. The dealer must use his scan tool to do this writing.

Hopefully the tire shop recorded the serial number of the 'new' sensor. Otherwise, the dealer will need to break down the tire to read the serial number off of the body of the sensor.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:10 PM

Don't you need to push the reset button under the dash to the right of the steering wheel? It's in the manual I think!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok I have yet to confirm if you must take back to the dealer will find out tomorrow. If so I would make the tire place that broke to orginal sensor pick up the bill it was their mistake breaking the sensor not yours. Thats why they get paid to do a professional job. Trust me make a stink and the tire shop will pay that cost for you.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:04 AM

ok working at the dealer and having to deal with this problem i will give u the straight answer ...bring it in because the tire needs to be reprogrammed using the toyota scan tool...

Old 07-06-2007, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the answers to all. For those who asked, yes, I did try the reset button. But again, the manual stated for a replaced sensor it HAD to go back to the dealer. For those who answered it must return to dealer, do you know if all 4 tires would need to be dismounted to do this or can it be done without removing the tires?

P.S. The shop who broke the sensor will be paying for this...it has already been discussed.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 AM

As long as you can tell the dealer which tire has the new sensor, that will be the only one they need to break down.

They can use the scan tool to determine which 3 sensors ID's that are written to the ECU are still with the car (the ECU will see signals from those three). The dealer can then replace the one ID that is not detected with the new ID.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:02 AM

For those interested, the dealership ultimately reprogrammed the new sensor and now i'm good to go. it cost the tire shop $100. i'm sure that's a mistake they won't make often!! Thanks again to all of the results.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:07 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

good to hear!

yea... did the shop have to take apart the wheel to get the new sensor's serial number? or were they smart enough to write it down before putting it in?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:03 PM

Nah, the shop wasn't smart enough. I called the shop to see if they had the old sensor or kept the box the new one came in and the answer was no to both. So the dealer had to break it down...didn't bother me as I wasn't paying for it.