Notices

TPMS Sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member

Default TPMS Sensor question

I just purchased a set of rims and want to keep my stockies for winter. I would like to get a set of TPMS sensors for the new wheels but dont want to spend alot of money for them.. Local yard has a few TC's and I was wondering if the TC's sensors will work on an XB.
If so, does anyone know what year TC sensors will work on my 2011 XB?
thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind that the on-board computer can only be programmed to read one set of sensors. Every time you swap your wheels/sensors you will need to go to the dealership to have it reprogrammed to read the sensors of the current set of wheels on the car. Unless you have a connection at the dealership, they usually charge anywhere from $80-$120 for the reprogramming, depending on their stealership pricing levels.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wait so if you order tps from discount tire direct with a wheels tire package, you still have to go to the dealer and have them reprogram it?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Keep in mind that the on-board computer can only be programmed to read one set of sensors. Every time you swap your wheels/sensors you will need to go to the dealership to have it reprogrammed to read the sensors of the current set of wheels on the car. Unless you have a connection at the dealership, they usually charge anywhere from $80-$120 for the reprogramming, depending on their stealership pricing levels.
You have to be kidding me? What about the reset button for the tpms sensor at the base of the dash by the steering column? isnt that the reset ?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mikey_Boy
wait so if you order tps from discount tire direct with a wheels tire package, you still have to go to the dealer and have them reprogram it?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Joebug
You have to be kidding me? What about the reset button for the tpms sensor at the base of the dash by the steering column? isnt that the reset ?
That only resets the tire pressure at which the dash light comes on, not the reading of the sensors themselves.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member

how does a dealer reset the tpms sensors? I have a friend with scanning tools...would he be able to reset it? or is this a dealer access specific program type of reset?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My understanding is that dealerships have a Toyota specific electronic device that does the reading & reprogramming of the sensors, not something available to the public that I know of.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM

black tape over the light on your guage and no tpms sensor FTW
300 dollars for the sensors and recalibration everytime you switch tires is not worth it
Do you really need a computer to tell you your tire is low?
a tire pressure guage is a few dollars , buy one and check it once a week, fill if needed.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took mine out of the steelies . Installed them on my 19's . Who cares I got a light on with my original rims in the winter . The cost is way to much for knowing ur psi.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member

I just did some research... there is a device called the Ateq Quickset, it was designed for the diy people who swap summer and winter tires....and for people who dont want to go the dealer to get their tpms sensors recalibrated every time..

read on>> http://revolutionsupply.com/quickset.aspx
Old 10-31-2012, 03:45 PM
SL Member

I'm about to buy a set of Goodyear GT's in 225/55R16. Sears quoted tpms rebuild in the price. I'm not getting new rims just new tires. Tpms does not need to be replaced, right?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, glad someone asked this question, would have never thought of this. My old wheels(Huffs) have the sensors of my old SWXB. And my TRD wheels of course have the sensors for the new car. I am going to have to take off all my wheels to get the swap done down the road. Don't think I wanna buy that reset tool if I don't plan on keeping my TRD wheel in the long run. And I am not going to be swapping rims back and forth too often if I do keep them.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member

I've read that a TPMS reset costs $20 at WalMart. May be worth checking into. Just sayin'.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you live by a Discount Tire or America's Tire, they will do it for you for free. It takes about 5 minutes and is really easy.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh and Discount Tire can get you OE sensors for less than you will pay at the dealership. I know this thread is old, but it's good for information.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the heads up. A DiscountTire opened in my area recently. Haven't been by there yet.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Place all sensors in the spare and you won't have lights come on your dash. And you can also run multiple sets of wheels with out any problem.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member

Somewhere here this technique was more fully explained. Build a pressure capable capsule from PVC tubing, place the sensors inside, pump it up and carry it in the spare stowage area.

I saw a set of 4 sensors sell on eBay this week for ~$65. If a reset is only $20 I'd rather have the system working properly. I'm just weird that way.

Since the used factory alloys I purchased this week came with the sensors I don't have to worry about it. All I have to do now is come up with the cash for the second set of tires, and the Tokicos and the stab bars. Hotchkis springs are sitting in my den waiting for it all to come together.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bundle all sensors together and just put them into spare and air up and you will be all good.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionRomance
Somewhere here this technique was more fully explained. Build a pressure capable capsule from PVC tubing, place the sensors inside, pump it up and carry it in the spare stowage area.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144818

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensor question