Notices

What wheel and tire sizes have people used in the snow states?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member

Default What wheel and tire sizes have people used in the snow states?

I bought this new 2015 Scion TC. I took it out yesterday on the little bit of snow that made its way up here to Northern New Jersey. I have said it before and I will have to say it again, the car is a compromise. For my primary vehicle this car was not designed for the North East. The tires are too low, too wide and too slick for snow. I had trouble going up a small incline that has a little bit of snow on the ground.

I want to change the tires and wheels out from these fragile aluminum 18" wheels to something that would stand the pain. I want to use Michelin X-Ice tires.

What wheel and tire sizes have people used in the snow states?
Old 01-30-2015, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Achilles ATR Sport.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member

Let me be more to the point so I do not get any more recommendations from drivers who have once seen snow right before they defrosted their freezer. I want a winter tire & wheel combination and am willing to sacrifice the rare driving event of driving on hot dry pavement.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I've driven with them in plenty of snow. It sucked, but I managed.

If you want a decent snow tire, get a snow tire. Bridgestone Blizzaks are pretty well rated.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
I've driven with them in plenty of snow. It sucked, but I managed.

If you want a decent snow tire, get a snow tire. Bridgestone Blizzaks are pretty well rated.
The X-ice & Blizzaks are rated one & two for winter tires. I was asking for wheel and tire combination recommendations. Goodyear & Dunlop also have winter tires. The stock 225/45R18 is not a good size for year round, 4 season driving conditions. Scion/ Toyota wonders about their sales slipping and think it is because of the no haggle sales pitch, did they ever wonder about offering a tire wheel combination for real driving conditions?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

OEM 16s work. It blows my mind that people pay the exuberant price of the 'upgraded' parts and they're not given the OEM parts.
I'd recommend sourcing some OEM 16s locally or even some cheapies from a salvage yard.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
OEM 16s work. It blows my mind that people pay the exuberant price of the 'upgraded' parts and they're not given the OEM parts.
I'd recommend sourcing some OEM 16s locally or even some cheapies from a salvage yard.
I was looking at a set of steel 16" and X-Ice and it is just about the same price as the 225/45R18 X-Ice. I like the steel wheels better because it can stand up to a pot hole better. With all the ice and snow, and plows you do get a lot of pot holes.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If anyone is using an 18" steel wheel during the winter could you please tell where you find them or what make and model they are off of. Had no luck finding anything last winter. Mine has the TRD lowering springs so I don't think the 16" OEM wheel would work. Already plowing enough snow with the 18" ones
Old 11-02-2015, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

You can get 17" inch steelies all day long....Just picked up a new set for around $230 for a Camry.

I'm going to run a 215-45R17 WS80 Blizzaks just because I happen to have a brand new set for free/ They are a touch thinner then the stock size recommended for the B, which is ok because narrow tires are better for snow anyway...

Not sure why the OP is in the 2GB forum busting ***** about tires for his tC, but I've had really good luck with Firestone Winterforce tires as an inexpensive snow tire that can really hold it's own. It's super aggressive and can be studded if you really want to ____ off the DOT.

You'll never find good Dunlop snow tires. After the Graspic DS-1's, they've all sucked.

I also had decent luck with the General Altimax Artic(Hankook Winter i-pike/Hercules HSI-S ) Ran it for a season and liked it.

Last edited by HATEnFATE; 11-02-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

had General Altramax on my 07 Saab 9-5 Wagon, Volvo V60 AWD T5 wagon, and now on Da Box!. We are avid skiers frequently visit Hunter and Vermont.
We went to Hunter this morning, a civic with blinking hazard light struggling snow covered incline. The traction control light kicked on a couple times, but at no time, was the car losing traction and slided around at all. With the V60 and the GA tires, I was unstoppable in snow and ice. I always go with the smallest size and cheapest one fit for the car/s. I have yet to be disappointed...for the past 6 years.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by evolving_machine
The X-ice & Blizzaks are rated one & two for winter tires. I was asking for wheel and tire combination recommendations. Goodyear & Dunlop also have winter tires. The stock 225/45R18 is not a good size for year round, 4 season driving conditions. Scion/ Toyota wonders about their sales slipping and think it is because of the no haggle sales pitch, did they ever wonder about offering a tire wheel combination for real driving conditions?
When I lived in New Jersey I put Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 on my 1997 Ford Thunderbird and used them year 'round. Great traction in all season and wear well. I put a set of 225/45R18 Hakkapeliitta 8 on my '11 xb and can easily drive in anything thrown. Can't walk on it black ice, no problem, drive there. They own the world speed on ice speed record (over 200 mph), so, yeah.
https://www.nokiantyres.com/innovation/testing/
Old 01-18-2016, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I lived in Northern New Jersey all my life up until 2 years ago. I ran Continental DWS year round and had no problems. Every winter is different, sometimes theres no point in running snow tires for the amount of times it may or may not snow. The plow and salt trucks are pretty good there too.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

X ice 3's are the best on ICE , the compound is high in silica and nylon . It has less rubber compound than other additives . Blizzacks are about the same . These tires do not have a aggressive tread pattern . Low resistance rolling , very good for fuel mileage . Price is high , however they are the best in city up to the ski mountain tire around .