Notices

Wheel/Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wheel/Tire question

I realize this is a stupid question that has probably been asked a million and a half times. However, I am not sure I understand how to tell if the wheels/tires I want will fit properly on the car and not cause rubbing. I don't fully understand how the offset works, and how I can make sure that they will be flush with the sides of the car (ideally).

The rims I want are Enkei Performance GW8 with the following specs:
Offset: +42mm Backspacing: 5.90" Bolt Pattern: 5-114
Rec. Tire Size:215/45-18
Weight: 22.8lbs.

I am not sure what tires are even good anymore (i haven't focused on these things in years sadly). So any tire recommendations also would be fantastic.

Thanks, and sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im betting Cionide swoops in the next 20 mins. with the suggestions the tires be 225/40-18

Tire recommendations will be Falken 912, General UHP, and a Kuhmo.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

And it might help to know that this is a 2011 that is lowered on the TRD coilovers.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm guessing you meant TRD springs, not coilovers. Those GW8's look kind of busy IMO, but as long as you like them, that's all that counts. At 7.5" wide with +42 offset, the outer face of the front wheel lips will sit back about 5/8" from dead flush, and the rears will sit back just over 1". They're 18x7.5, so like FroZone said, I'd recommend 225/40-18 tires for these particular wheels.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for not replying earlier, I was out of town.

Yes, I did mean TRD springs, my mistake. The wheels are definitely a little busy, but I do like them. I have a black Xb, and I am going to do a red/black theme with the interior/lights, so red and black rims make sense to me. I could go with some standard black 5 spoke ones also if I wanted to.

What are the differences between 225/40-18 and 245/45-18? Will I need to buy anything special (like wheel spacers) for these rims/tires to properly fit?

What tire brands would be recommended and why?
Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AcidBurnISU
What are the differences between 225/40-18 and 245/45-18?
The 245/45-18 tires are .8" wider (20mm) and more than 1.5" larger in diameter than the 225/40-18. Far too big to be putting on the xB2 with a TRD drop. I think the tire and wheel calculator we all use will help you understand how the changes from stock may or may not work, and what the resultant changes will be:
http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp
Keep in mind that the stock wheels are 16"x6.5" with +45 offset, and the tires are 205/55x16".

Will I need to buy anything special (like wheel spacers) for these rims/tires to properly fit?
If you want the rears to match the front for distance from the edge of the fenders you can throw on some 15mm rear spacers. If you regularly drive with a full load of passengers or cargo, then you might want to go with 10mm spacers. And don't forget a set of hubcentric rings, as well as new lug nuts.

What tire brands would be recommended and why?
I stay away from recommending specific brands since I have so little personal experience, but I'm sure some others will chime in with their own recommendations. I will say that I have been happy with my Falken Ziex ZE912's for all-season performance tires that are non-directional and reasonably priced.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ohhh, so its the dimensions of the tire itself. That makes a lot more sense. And if they are going to cause rubbing, then I definitely do not want them. Do the 225-40-18 not last as long, since they are not as thick/large in diameter?

Do I even need spacers? Will the tires look odd if I do not put spacers on? How do the spacers work in relation to causing rubbing? Will they cause rubbing/extra rubbing at all?

Are there such things as wheel locks. Something like a hub cap that I can lock on with a key so no one can steal them? I ask because my wife has already had her stereo stolen, and multiple other people have had their cars stolen from (odd because we live in a nice neighborhood)

Sorry for the all the questions, trying really hard to learn all of these things
Old 07-11-2010, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ohhh, so its the dimensions of the tire itself. That makes a lot more sense. And if they are going to cause rubbing, then I definitely do not want them. Do the 225-40-18 not last as long, since they are not as thick/large in diameter?
Size has nothing to do with tread thickness. Most all-season and performance passenger car tires have a tread thickness of 10/32". What can determine how quickly a tire will wear is the tread rating. A lower tread wear rating usually corresponds to a softer rubber compound, which will generally handle better on dry pavement, but wear down more quickly also.

Here's a lot of good info to educate you quickly:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...nfoCenter.jsp?
http://www.tirerack.com/about/techcenter.jsp

Do I even need spacers? Will the tires look odd if I do not put spacers on? How do the spacers work in relation to causing rubbing? Will they cause rubbing/extra rubbing at all?
1. No.
2. No, people use them to achieve a particular look and get the rear wheels to match the fronts for how flush the wheels are to the edge of the fenders. The rear wheel hubs sit in about 1/2" more than the fronts on the 2nd-Gen xB.
3. Spacers push the wheels (and tires) out closer to the edge of the fenders by the amount of their thickness. Push out too far, and you can have rubbing issues.
4. Not if they are sized properly in comparison to the width & offset of the wheels, as well as the size of the tires, and take into consideration what the xB is lowered on (springs, coilovers, air bags).

Are there such things as wheel locks. Something like a hub cap that I can lock on with a key so no one can steal them? I ask because my wife has already had her stereo stolen, and multiple other people have had their cars stolen from (odd because we live in a nice neighborhood)
You can get locking lug nuts, just remember that if somebody really wants your stuff, they're going to find a way to get it. A good alarm system, and a low comprehensive insurance deductible are also very helpful.

Sorry for the all the questions, trying really hard to learn all of these things
Don't apologize for asking questions. The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked, because it can be dangerous and/or cost you $$ down the road.

When you find some wheels you like, hit me up with PM and I can help you with size, offset, and tire size.