Notices
Scion xD Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Exterior bolt-ons and bass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Hip

Default Exterior bolt-ons and bass?

I was curious if anyone knew whether or not. Bolt over grills would cause rattling like a license plate. I'm looking to get a mesh 5 piece grill kit but my concern is that my 1800 watt sub might rattle the heck out of it on my little xd.

Anyone have a clue if I'm over thinking this issue or will it be fine.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just get fig grills instead, they ziptie to the tabs, no movement means no rattle.

Sent from my Droid
Old 02-06-2011, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hip
I was curious if anyone knew whether or not. Bolt over grills would cause rattling like a license plate. I'm looking to get a mesh 5 piece grill kit but my concern is that my 1800 watt sub might rattle the heck out of it on my little xd.

Anyone have a clue if I'm over thinking this issue or will it be fine.
You could just put deadener behind any place that might touch. What kind of sub are you running?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Hip

12 inch Alpine type r with a 750 watt Rockford amp
Old 02-07-2011, 03:13 AM

If you get a new grille it shouldn't rattle as it's in the front, and your sub is in the back. Unless you've got your sub under your hood.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chrevis
If you get a new grille it shouldn't rattle as it's in the front, and your sub is in the back. Unless you've got your sub under your hood.
Yeah good point. Not sure a single 12 will make a grill rattle. Nice sub though, Type Rs are nice.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:53 PM

I've got 2 15's in my xB and the only thing that rattles is my license plate cover. I just need to get some rubber washers to put on there.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Hip

Well I don't think thi is going to be a prolem Anymore. Somehow today I blew my voice coils only type r. So until I can afford duel 12" rockfords rattling will be the least of my worries
Old 02-07-2011, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hip
Well I don't think thi is going to be a prolem Anymore. Somehow today I blew my voice coils only type r. So until I can afford duel 12" rockfords rattling will be the least of my worries
that sucks, what happened?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Hip

Originally Posted by Swbari00
that sucks, what happened?
I didn't realize how terrible auto text was on my iPhone.

Well I'm not sure what happened honestly. Bass cut out after I tried turning it back on after turning it off with the volume way up. So it rode out a bass line then nothing. So I checked the bridge/ohm prongs and they were charred. I cAn probably just assume that it's the coils since they ride along the same current
Old 02-08-2011, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hip
I didn't realize how terrible auto text was on my iPhone.

Well I'm not sure what happened honestly. Bass cut out after I tried turning it back on after turning it off with the volume way up. So it rode out a bass line then nothing. So I checked the bridge/ohm prongs and they were charred. I cAn probably just assume that it's the coils since they ride along the same current
bridge/ohm prongs? you mean the terminals where you connect the wire too on the sub?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Hip

bridge/ohm prongs? you mean the terminals where you connect the wire too on the sub?
Yep. Didn't know what to call them to google info on them. I tried asking people at best buy and they looked at me like I was speaking of alien technology.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hip
Yep. Didn't know what to call them to google info on them. I tried asking people at best buy and they looked at me like I was speaking of alien technology.
Haha. My guess is you were sending a clipped signal to your sub. Clipping usually starts getting the subs internal parts pretty hot.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:56 AM
Hip

Haha. My guess is you were sending a clipped signal to your sub. Clipping usually starts getting the subs internal parts pretty hot.
Well considering I had the gain on 7/10 and had everything way up I shoulda seen it coming. Maybe I need a bigger amp x.x
Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, i've been pumping my infinity 12 dual voice coil (single sub) for two years now without an issue, and it survived being slammed into my roof during my roll over accident a year and some ago. the amp and everything survived. gain isn't too high, and i can still thump it hard. (bass is at +3 on the stereo, and the sub "gain" on the stereo is at -10 [out of a range of -24 to +5] and i think my gain on the amp is around 5/10). dunno, but my lights don't even dim on the bass hits. i know it sounds weird, but i swear, they don't dim! (without a cap)...
Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Hip

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
wow, i've been pumping my infinity 12 dual voice coil (single sub) for two years now without an issue, and it survived being slammed into my roof during my roll over accident a year and some ago. the amp and everything survived. gain isn't too high, and i can still thump it hard. (bass is at +3 on the stereo, and the sub "gain" on the stereo is at -10 [out of a range of -24 to +5] and i think my gain on the amp is around 5/10). dunno, but my lights don't even dim on the bass hits. i know it sounds weird, but i swear, they don't dim! (without a cap)...
Well I always have my volume at 26/60. Gain 7/10. Head unit bass 3/5. Sub bass 0/6. But the ranges were huge. My sub bass could go down to negative 25. I honestly don't know what did it in. MYbe a combo of things or I got the bad lemon
Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hip
Well I always have my volume at 26/60. Gain 7/10. Head unit bass 3/5. Sub bass 0/6. But the ranges were huge. My sub bass could go down to negative 25. I honestly don't know what did it in. MYbe a combo of things or I got the bad lemon
Probably not a lemon, with your volume that low, you were likely overdoing it with other settings to get the sub loud. 7/10 on your gain is REALLY high, and probably a good chance that caused the problem.

Try setting your volume on your HU at 45, your HU bass to 0 and sub bass (I assume that means a level control for the sub output right?) at max. Then set your gains on the amp.

what kind of amp did you have? You said a 750 watt rockford, what model number?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Hip

Probably not a lemon, with your volume that low, you were likely overdoing it with other settings to get the sub loud. 7/10 on your gain is REALLY high, and probably a good chance that caused the problem.

Try setting your volume on your HU at 45, your HU bass to 0 and sub bass (I assume that means a level control for the sub output right?) at max. Then set your gains on the amp.

what kind of amp did you have? You said a 750 watt rockford, what model number?
Now I feel stupid. For the past 3 months I thought it was a 750 watt. guy at best buy was talking it up so I bought it and now digging the box out of the basement I see its a p500-1bd. Now that that's figured out. My concern is whether or not that can handle 2 1000 watt rockfords.

It's a nice punch amp but considering that's only 250 rms and the combined dual rockfords would be putting out 1000 rms concerns me.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hip

wow, mine's regularly between 40-50 volume on the HU. sub bass is -10 (out of a -24 to +6 range), and bass setting is +3 (-5 to +5 range).

wonder if you had either an over powered amp or an underpowered speaker... OR a speaker trying to draw more power than the amp could put out, and burned itself out. Gotta watch the voltage ratings, as well as those RMS ratings...
Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Hip

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
wow, mine's regularly between 40-50 volume on the HU. sub bass is -10 (out of a -24 to +6 range), and bass setting is +3 (-5 to +5 range).

wonder if you had either an over powered amp or an underpowered speaker... OR a speaker trying to draw more power than the amp could put out, and burned itself out. Gotta watch the voltage ratings, as well as those RMS ratings...
Well I'm playing it smart this time. Buying 2 rockford p3s, a Rockford 2 farad capacitor, and a kenwood 9105d 1800 watt mono amp. And the gain is going to be way down this time.

I'm gonna leave it at that though cause I'm causing this thread off topic. >.>

Quick Reply: Exterior bolt-ons and bass?