Notices
Scion xD Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Need Bike Rack Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 PM

Default Need Bike Rack Advice

Just bought a 2012 XD and I'm loving it. I'm an avid cyclist so I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry 2 bikes on the car. Here are my options:

1) I have most of the setup for a Yakima roof rack and 2 bike holders from my prior car (I would just need to add the Scion XD specific pads and buy new Q towers). However I have heard some bad stories about getting Yakima roof racks installed properly on cars. I'm guessing some of this is based on the type of car (some work better than others). Does anyone have any experience using the Q8 and Q83 clips on the XD? I'd be curious to hear what you think.

2) I could bag the whole Yakima setup and invest in a similar Thule fit sytem. Would probably cost me about $800 vs. $150 to just retrofit the Yakima. I've heard the Thule roof rack works better but this is pure conjecture. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Thule roof rack vs. the Yakima?

3) I am considering bagging the whole roof rack idea and just going for the Thule Raceway 2, which would attach to the rear hatch/bumper. Has anyone used this for their XD? I have a spoiler so I'd also be curious if that would impact my ability to use this.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to some input.

Jeff

Last edited by jignall; 02-21-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Yakima will do just fine when most people install them to firmly it's way too tight and can cause damage just don't over tighten anything and it'll be fine
Old 02-23-2012, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would say sale your old one and get the one for xD. yes it can be use for xD too just buying some parts but i think there still a small different in buying the whole set than buying a pcs.

yeah sale the old one and use the money to buy a new one.