Notices
Scion xD Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Roof rack on your xD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Zoo
5 Year Member

Default Roof rack on your xD?

I just bought a new xD yesterday and am an competitive cyclist...which is why I bought the xD, so I can fit my bikes in the back. But...on days that I'm doing a cyclocross or mtb race and my bike is covered with mud, snow, or rain I would rather keep my bike on the outside of the vehicle. I have a roof rack on my last vehicle however am afraid to put one on the xD since this is my first NEW car. Will this ruin my roof? Any of you have a roof rack on your xD? Got pics? I'm also tempted to just get a hitch installed and a hitch rack however I don't trust the people driving behind me to not hit me.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Zoo
5 Year Member

actually, now that I've looked into it some more it looks as if there are no roof rack systems out for the xD yet guess I should have done a little more research before making my purchase.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No sadly there are no roof racks, yet..? I'm pretty sure they will make some for it though. The xB has roof racks so the xD should get some too, if not from Scion then probably a 3rd party.

If able, look up the other post in their forum for Trailer Hitches, it sounds as if we (xD owners) might be able to put a hitch on the back. Then you might be able to use a bike rack.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey I just found this on optomize.com when I was looking at the product page for the 5axis kit.
LINK
Old 09-15-2007, 01:44 AM
Zoo
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
Hey I just found this on optomize.com when I was looking at the product page for the 5axis kit.
LINK
THANK YOU!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't know if you can buy it now though, but it would be fun! Lemme know if you buy it and take pics and share. :D
Old 09-17-2007, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Roof rack on your xD?

Originally Posted by Zoo
I just bought a new xD yesterday and am an competitive cyclist...which is why I bought the xD, so I can fit my bikes in the back. But...on days that I'm doing a cyclocross or mtb race and my bike is covered with mud, snow, or rain I would rather keep my bike on the outside of the vehicle. I have a roof rack on my last vehicle however am afraid to put one on the xD since this is my first NEW car. Will this ruin my roof? Any of you have a roof rack on your xD? Got pics? I'm also tempted to just get a hitch installed and a hitch rack however I don't trust the people driving behind me to not hit me.
See your local Scion dealer and tell them to call us at Optomize Scion. We can get your rack for you. It is made by a company called INNO. We also have a line of accessories available for viewing on our web site at OPTOMIZESCION.COM.

Go to the section labeled brands and look for the INNO icon. The SKU number listed there is the part number that your Toyota parts guy needs, when he calls us at Associated Products/Optimize Scion, to order it for you.

1-800-780-2402
Old 09-17-2007, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default We have your XD roof rack....And more

http://optomizescion.com/
Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 PM

Be careful with the Trailer Hitch idea. Some one on here already bought one that was suppose to be for the xD and it didn't fit. I would go with the optomize route. Your local dealer should be able to get the parts for you.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 PM

Be careful with the Trailer Hitch idea. Some one on here already bought one that was suppose to be for the xD and it didn't fit. I would go with the optomize route. Your local dealer should be able to get the parts for you.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Zoo
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by schaumburgscion
Yup, I'm the one who tried the trailer hitch and it didn't fit, so now I'm back to the roof rack option. I found the roof rack thanks to guys above and was told by Toyota Parts that they can get them, am looking right now to see if I can just get the stays and hooks via INNO directly since I already have the load bars.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Zoo
5 Year Member

Just talked to INNO, the model numbers for the xD are the following if you want to order the parts separately
Stays - IN-SU
Hooks - K214
CrossBar - IN127
Old 09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Zoo
5 Year Member

FYI, turns out that Thule also has a fit kit out even though it's not on their website yet, I called thule up yesterday and they told me that they 2186 fit kit will work with the xD so I just ordered one last night, will let you guys know how it fits, but it saved me a good $150 or so dollars since I already have all the Thule stuff from my previous car.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:02 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I've been looking for roof racks since I got my xD in September and over the last month or two found that both Yakima and Thule have our cars listed on their rack fitment guides on their websites now. Both cost about the same, and should be quite suitable. Also, of course INNO (which is a company I'd not heard of before the Scion) has a rack that fits, too.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default hitch

I just purchased and put on a hitch myself, works perfect, you can only see the small black square on the back, below the body.

no drilling either. lined right up.

a guy sells them on ebay (one there now) for about 120.00, and it works perfect!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Owners manual specifically says not to install hitch since the car was never designed to handle one.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

and you always listen to everything the manufacturer says???? for light items (not towing), it works great (bike rack, flat carrier for vacation trips, etc.)
Old 08-19-2008, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's your warranty
Old 08-22-2008, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
It's your warranty
It shouldn't affect the warranty. Our xBs have the same warning, but the dealer I purchased from installed my hitch for me when I bought my ride. It's a Curt 1-1/4" and I just use it for a bike rack (Saris CycleOn).
Old 08-25-2008, 06:02 PM

Default Roof rack

Anyone post pics of their Xd with a roof rack? I'm curious to see how they look. Thinking about getting one for my super white. It would be my first mod. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Roof rack on your xD?