Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

cai's aren't street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default cai's aren't street legal?

So I was curious about injens cai, and was wondering if their cais are street legal for oregon. Maybe to all of you guys, you all already knew this, but to me, this is new and shocking news. I thought id share this. I just got an email from ben ho the head of research for injen..

"Yes, part # SP2104 is for the 2008-09 XD but it will not be CARB legal due to the removal of the stock Hydro Carbon element inside the factory air box. No intake manufacture will be able to make a CARB legal intake for any 2004 and newer Toyota , Scion or Lexus due to this issue."

Paul Ho
Head of Research & Product Development
paul_ho@injen.com
www.Injen.com
Injen Technology Co. Ltd.,
244 Pioneer Place
Pomona , CA. 91768
Injen Technology Main office (909) 839-0706
Fax (909) 839-0427

So does this mean every tc, xb, xd and other car out there with a intake running a street illegal intake? just curious
Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

probably legal in Oregon, never will be in cali cuz of CARb
Old 07-20-2010, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oregon has very similar carb regulations as cali. sooo. im thinking im screwed?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How are inspections done where you go? Is there smog checking? Talk to other locals with mods you're wanting to get and go from there. It's all on who you go to to get inspection done.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For Injen, that is the case.

You can at least get the TRD Sport Muffler. That is emissions-legal.

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-20-2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Needed to adjust claim
Old 07-20-2010, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dropzone
How are inspections done where you go? Is there smog checking? Talk to other locals with mods you're wanting to get and go from there. It's all on who you go to to get inspection done.
I agree with this post. If possible, try and find the government document (probably a .pdf file buried somewhere on the DMV website) that states what/how vehicle inspections are to be done.

In Georgia for example, if you have an obd ii computer, the inspection site is only required to hook up to your obd ii input and download the data to the state computer. As long as there are no "faults" (ie check eng. light on) you pass and are on your merry way. Only a "representative sample" of vehicles with obd ii computers are to be given the full emissions(exhaust pipe) test. I have yet to encounter anyone around here who has had this done.

If where you are, your car is guaranteed to have the full-on emissions test and not just a simple obd ii code check, or they are actually going to look for an "approved" (certainly there must be a way to procure one of these) sticker on your aftermarket intake, you may be left with no choice but to do a quick swap of your stock air box assembly before you head out for inspection.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did a little digging. This document is actually a job qualifications description to work at an OR emissions station. It also describes in detail what is to be done during an inspection. Excerpt below: (I've put in the bold for emphasis)

1. Vehicle Inspection
Conducts basic, enhanced, and On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) II inspections based on year of vehicle, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or other defined vehicle characteristics. Greets customers entering the Clean Air Station; explains compliance requirements to help customer understand agency policies and procedures; questions customer to decide appropriate emissions inspection and directs customer to appropriate test lane.
Locates vehicle identification information on vehicle; enters and verifies appropriate vehicle information and mileage in computer database. Visually inspects under the hood of the vehicle to identify engine size, emission certification and emission control devices and records anything disconnected or missing. Instructs customer on test procedures. Visually inspects tire pressure and vehicle clearance to verify vehicle is safe to drive on dynamometer.
Attaches tachometer to vehicle engine. Attaches scan tool to on-board computer OR connects sampling hose to exhaust system to detect pollutants. Drives customer’s vehicle on dynamometer, accelerating and decelerating in response to computer cues. Visually checks for and records excessive exhaust smoke. Listens to noise and decides if further testing is needed; uses noise testing equipment to test if noise is within limits allowable by law.

It could be worth a shot..... Let's say that the dude opens up the hood, doesn't see the need to look real hard for certification stickers, hooks up the obd ii scanner, doesn't see any faults takes your $$ and says "have a nice day."

Full document here:
http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/HR/class/c.../3807.pdf?ga=t
Old 07-20-2010, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If all that's done is a visual inspection then it should be instant pass, dependent on who you take it to. If who you take it to inspect it is a stickler for complete OEM parts as if it was rolled off the showroom, then you better have the parts to switch it out for inspection. That's why I said talk to the locals, they might know someone who won't make a big deal over a CAI. I remember my brother had taken off the air box on his car and attached a cone filter and didn't pass because it wasn't factory, so he had to put on the air box and go back and get it inspected, never again did he go back to that place. Next year he found another place and passes him no problem. It's visual inspection that's done where I stay.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

ok i'll chime in on this

for DEQ, what they do for newer cars is that they hook up an OBD2 scanner in your car and see if all your O2 sensors are working. If they see that all of them are working, and it is not throwing a code, you pass.

I passed with a turbo IN my car (noise and carbon level) so I am POSITIVE you will pass
Old 07-20-2010, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks everybody :D ill be glad to let you all know. im ordering a k&n cai this friday after reading all this :D
Old 07-20-2010, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Scion xDanno
thanks everybody :D ill be glad to let you all know. im ordering a k&n cai this friday after reading all this :D

I think most CAI's for Scions would pass emission tests. The main thing that most shops that perform emissions testing are concerned with other than the obvious step of testing emissions output is if you have removed or modified any emissions device/ components. For example, installing an aftermarket performance exhaust header that deletes the primary CAT. Now I could be wrong, but I'd be really surprised if they would fail your car based only on that modification alone
Old 07-20-2010, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unless you live in the communist state of California you really have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nevermind. i have a hook up for KN, so il will be ordering a KN cai intake :D