Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Can't get Oil Filter Housing off

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Can't get Oil Filter Housing off

Hey everyone,

I've been changing the oil in my gf's xD the past 2 times and ive been having the constant problem of removing the oil filter housing...the last time we tried it we couldn't remove it at all even with all the different types of oil wrenches we had (cap type and the clamp type).
I'm really itching to replace the filter since the car has been running for about 10k with the old oil filter (previous service overtightened the housing I assume).

Can anyone give me any tips or tricks to get this housing off?. The cap type wrench just rounded over the edges and the clamp type just stripped the housing. I'm worried that ill have to resort to breaking this thing off and just getting a new housing by the looks of things.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-04-2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Year Badge
Old 08-09-2009, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I changed my oil 2 days ago and I used like a clamp and its pretty tight. all I can say is put some muscle into it lol goodluck
Old 08-10-2009, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by fLyPiNoY7
hey everyone,

can anyone give me any tips or tricks to get this housing off?...the cap type wrench just rounded over the edges and the clamp type just stripped the housing...im worried that ill have to resort to breaking this thing off and just getting a new housing by the looks of things...
Yep, I'm having a hard time finding a good wrench. Toyota OTC tools sells the recommended tool for $55. It is made out of chromed steel, like a socket. Amazon.com has a couple that reviewers say work well on the Toyota.

The problem, according to my local OEM service guy, is the housing is actually 64mm, but nobody sells a 64mm wrench, including Toyota OTC. Maybe you could jb-weld some sheet metal to the inside of the wrench to give it a tighter grip?

Last edited by vbrents; 08-10-2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you bother searching the forum? Did you even bother looking 2 threads down?...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168542
"65mm, 14-flute"
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123726
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rID=5336121793

At that size 1mm won't matter much, and also please look around before asking questions in the future.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by uskrewed
Did you bother searching the forum? Did you even bother looking 2 threads down?...

"65mm, 14-flute"

At that size 1mm won't matter much, and also please look around before asking questions in the future.
simmer down there, he was only looking for some suggestions and the search is not optimal, everyone needs a little help sometimes.

Sometimes the oil filter housing can become a little round in which case the oil filter tool will keep slipping and will be pretty much useless in getting it off, that's where that extra 1mm plays a major role.

tC's use the same filter tool and the bottom of the filters can be rounded off if too much torque is used when putting them on in the first place, it happens and its a PITA to get off.

OP....if you can't get it off just take it to the shop and have the oil changed one time, they'll get it off and change the filter, once they do it simply go home and change the oil again to see if you can finally get it off. I know its probably a waste of money but it'll help you in the long term so once you get it off once you know not to over tighten it so it comes off with ease for you future oil change.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

"65mm, 14-flute"

yes...i did look at those other threads...im not looking for the cap size for the wrench...im trying to find a better way to remove it...besides, i just spent the entire day running between kragen, autozone, and sears to find another cap wrench since i broke the cheapy one i got from autozone (sheered off the spot welds that connect the cap part to the part that attaches to the socket...seriously, why do they make it a 2 piece thing?)...some good news from that is that before it broke, it was holding on pretty tightly unlike before

but thanks to everyone who helped out...we ran out of time to work on it today so my gf just decided to bring it to a shop tomorrow to have them attempt to pop it off
Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

this happened to me once. I just used a vice grip to take it off. it was pretty messy considering I crushed the sides of the filter to get a nice grip, but it worked.

next time just hand tighten the filter.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by fLyPiNoY7
......my gf just decided to bring it to a shop tomorrow to have them attempt to pop it off
That's the same thing I did.

I change my own oil too and I got the oil filter socket/adapter from the dealer. The last time I changed my oil and put on the new filter I was too lazy to go get my wrench so I put the filter on with my impact gun . Needless to say next time when I went to change it the filter was rounded off so the socket would not fit it, I couldn't get enough torque on the filter with my hand to get it off.....110 ft/lb tq from the impact vs my 1 hand on the filter plus the o-ring gasket on top of the filter that seals with heat....definitely wasn't going to work.

I just put the old oil back in and drove to a local oil change shop near me, paid them for an oil change, came right back home and changed that oil for my usual Mobil1 Extended Performance oil and filter.

Needless to say I would use my impact anymore nor do I put the oil filter on really tight anymore.

The shop will get it off for you and I don't know if you're fine using their oil or you have your own that you prefer....if you do just change it when you get back home just to see if you can get that oil filter cap off.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by ecko04
That's the same thing I did.

I change my own oil too and I got the oil filter socket/adapter from the dealer. The last time I changed my oil and put on the new filter I was too lazy to go get my wrench so I put the filter on with my impact gun . Needless to say next time when I went to change it the filter was rounded off so the socket would not fit it, I couldn't get enough torque on the filter with my hand to get it off.....110 ft/lb tq from the impact vs my 1 hand on the filter plus the o-ring gasket on top of the filter that seals with heat....definitely wasn't going to work.

I just put the old oil back in and drove to a local oil change shop near me, paid them for an oil change, came right back home and changed that oil for my usual Mobil1 Extended Performance oil and filter.

Needless to say I would use my impact anymore nor do I put the oil filter on really tight anymore.

The shop will get it off for you and I don't know if you're fine using their oil or you have your own that you prefer....if you do just change it when you get back home just to see if you can get that oil filter cap off.
haha wow all that trouble just because you were too lazy...tsk tsk tsk
Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm surprised the casting wasn't cracked from the impact gun's torque.

This is what I use-

Any plumbing/home supply store will carry it.

Housings should be hand tight. It's not a part that loosens and falls off.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are 2 methods I've used for removal when a filter is stuck and a wrench won't work for whatever reason;

1. Try using an old belt...the kind that holds your pants up. Place the end through the buckle so it forms a loop, which you can put around the filter. Slide it around until it's oriented such that when you pull on the end of the belt, it turns the filter.

2. Long screwdriver and a hammer. Put the tip of the screwdriver in the middle of one side of the filter and use the hammer to drive it in until it comes out the other side. Now just use the screwdriver's handle to turn the filter. Very messy since oil drips everywhere, but it ALWAYS works!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by nodsetse
2. Long screwdriver and a hammer. Put the tip of the screwdriver in the middle of one side of the filter and use the hammer to drive it in until it comes out the other side. Now just use the screwdriver's handle to turn the filter. Very messy since oil drips everywhere, but it ALWAYS works!
Sorry guy, wont work on the xD... Cartridge filter, not screw on...

Though the belt thing MIGHT work!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and BTW the screwdriver/hammer method doesn't always work, you can rip through the metal of the canister and then be completely SOL.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by breadbooze
I'm surprised the casting wasn't cracked from the impact gun's torque.
There is no casting on the tC oil filter, it isn't an oil cartridge. Just made it a PITA to get it off.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DeathMachine
Sorry guy, wont work on the xD... Cartridge filter, not screw on...
Oh, didn't realize that...bummer! I checked it out and now see what you have to deal with, thanks.

and BTW the screwdriver/hammer method doesn't always work, you can rip through the metal of the canister and then be completely SOL.
Anyone who can't remove the screw-on type that way fails at life, they're already SOL.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A couple quick tips.
1. Heat up the engine. Take your car out for a drive, wait for the cold engine indicator light to turn off, then drive back and change the oil right away. You can't get the filter off cold.

2. Try loosening the filter a bit first thing, before draining the oil. Don't take it off when the crankcase is full, just loosen it before the engine starts to cool. Seriously, the temp makes a huge difference.

3. Before you replace the filter housing, moisten the rubber o-ring with oil.

4. Don't over-tighten the thing. I think ecko04 has killed this point ... wow.

AutoZone carries a socket that fits just fine. In my area it was the smallest one. They were more than willing to let me take a couple sockets outside, crawl under the car, and see that it would be a snug fit before I paid for it.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 PM

Default this one fit

I went to Advanced Auto to get the oil cap wrench. Neither the 65mm (too small) nor the 65/67mm (slipped off) fit properly. I eventually borrowed a Cal-Val 785 (65mm) cap wrench from a friend and it fit perfectly. So I guess not all 65mm cap wrenches are the same
Old 12-19-2009, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member

On Amazon, the correct wrench to buy is the K-D Tools 3253 End Cap Oil Filter Wrench. My Toyota dealer parts counter now has competitively priced oil cap wrenches. Also, Harbor Freight looks like they have a good set. I haven't tested them for usability.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best tool is the cap. Also if your constantly changing her oil, maybe you should not tighten the oil filter so tight.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Domo, do the tC's have the cartrige-style filter like the xD or is it a typical spin-on type?

I bought a 64mm Assenmacher brand oil filter wrench and it works great. The model number is TOY640. Much better quality (and fit) than the stamped steel ones.

Quick Reply: Can't get Oil Filter Housing off