Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Ground Kit Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:45 AM

Default Ground Kit Help Please

I know this is a scion site but I figure that the information about a grounding kit should be pretty much the same on almost all cars.

My friend was trying to put in a ground kit in his Maxima and now when the RPMs get to about 2 and a half, the car studders and won't shift or accelerate anymore.

we took all the grounding stuff off after we noticed the problem and still the same happened. When the wires were on still but disconnected from the battery the car would start, but it would die suddenly. This happened about three or four times. Smelled like gas too.

Now that the wires are off we only have the problem of the RPMs and acceleration. The car will shift if he accelerates slow and it shifts below 2 and a half RPM.

The transmission was slipping slightly every once in a long while before.
It is an automatic.

Once again, I know this is a scion site but I would appreciate any help on this or any suggestions as to what might be wrong. Thank you.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reason it smelled like gas is because fuel is being sprayed into the engine and shot out the exhaust without having been used.

Did the "Check Engine Light" or "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" turn on? I'm thinking you guys shorted something out, or the transmission finally crapped out.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by uskrewed
The reason it smelled like gas is because fuel is being sprayed into the engine and shot out the exhaust without having been used.

Did the "Check Engine Light" or "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" turn on? I'm thinking you guys shorted something out, or the transmission finally crapped out.

I think that the check engine light in his car has been on for a while. He mentioned something about it after he got a new y pipe. The guys putting it messed up one of the sensors. I'm not a hundred percent sure if it was still on, but he didn't tell me he fixed it so I'll assume problem was never fixed...
Old 07-26-2009, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doubt a ground kit could manage to do all that, check your fuses, battery and alternator. Tranny will need to be worked on, sounds like something is just completely shot in it
Old 07-27-2009, 05:41 AM

We figured out the problem.
apparently he plugged in the MAF sensor very very close to all the way a couple times.
but not all the way.
and refused to double check when I suggested it.
but once he did it completely worked fine again.

we feel really stupid for not completely making sure that it was plugged in completely... lol

anyway, the ground kit in my car is pretty cool.
LEDs inside the car seem to be a bit brighter, the idle is crazy quiet (forgot the car was on a couple times), and you can almost swear that the car isn't shifting cause it's so smooth.
Don't really notice headlight difference but then again I never stared at my headlights to see how bright they were.
and don't really notice much sound improvement in my stock speakers or the subs. But then again I did turn the amp power down a little so maybe that's the reason.