Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

How to make xD truly faster?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 AM

Default How to make xD truly faster?

I wanna make it faster and more power. stock except 17" rims on it. what can help? new manifold? exhaust? chip? idk. don't say air intake or your credibility is lost right away. maybe things that worked for you.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-11-2018 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... an air intake.

... But really what do you have against air intakes? I think your question is a little too broad to get any proper response. What makes a car fast? Power, low weight, aero dynamics, gearing, power band, handling. I really don't know how to tackle your question except addressing your distaste for intakes. A free flowing short intake can help throttle response like in a short ram intake, or increase power by sucking in colder/denser air as in a cold air intake. It won't make huge gains, but it's an easy and common upgrade.

Most people here will tell you if you want to make the car something it's not, you would be better off getting something else. I've added a few things to my car to make it my own, and enjoy it for what it is. Peppy, reliable, and good on gas
Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 AM

i want more hp without spending over a thousand. and air intakes don't do anything. they just make your car sound fast with that sucking noise. thats it. tons of videos kept disproving air intake improvements cause there is none. if you get the best intake, like 500 worth. you get about 3 hp gain. so i want engine improvements to get more hp.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

turbo. done
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ill be the party pooper here. Not saying its impossible but whats the point of only building up pieces of an engine. If you want more power and speed your limited to what is given. You can upgrade just one part at a time but we have no aftermarket backing so everything will have to be custom forged or built. Honestly your best bet for more power is an engine swap but then comes cost there also. Switching the drivetrain out for a more aftermarket friendly unit is more feasible. there are header options and exhaust but then you would need to add a better intake. all these options work together and you will see more power using all of them. good luck
Old 02-06-2013, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Engine swap. 2ZZ-GE uses the same motor mounts and can bolt on to your transmission, or if you want to upgrade the transmission there is a 6 speed that is usually paired with the 2zz. sometimes you can find a totaled Celica GTS, that doesn't have any engine damage for about 2k, or dallasjdmmotors.com has the 2ZZ-GE motor with harness. I love my xD to death, but there is almost no aftermarket performance that is going to make a huge difference.you will easily spend a few grand doing performance upgrades to the 2ZR-FE, when you could have easily saved and done an engine swap for the same price, maybe even cheaper.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-11-2018 at 03:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Barfalamu
Engine swap. 2ZZ-GE uses the same motor mounts and can bolt on to your transmission, or if you want to upgrade the transmission there is a 6 speed that is usually paired with the 2zz. sometimes you can find a totaled Celica GTS, that doesn't have any engine damage for about 2k, or dallasjdmmotors.com has the 2zz-ge motor with harness. I love my xD to death, but there is almost no aftermarket performance that is going to make a huge difference.you will easily spend a few grand doing performance upgrades to the 2zr-fe, when you could have easily saved and done an engine swap for the same price, maybe even cheaper.
Is it really that "easy" to swap in a 2ZZ. I had a MR2 Spyder for a little while and love the 1ZZ-2ZZ motors.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-11-2018 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what I've read, and talked to my mechanic about, everything will line up just fine. you may need a bigger oil pan and a few other parts for cooling purposes. you may want to snag the transmission as well, cause I'm not too sure how long our stock one will hold with an extra 50+ hp under the hood. If you are going to have a shop help with it, be sure to talk to them thoroughly about everything, what all you need from the old car to ensure the new engine will work with your car. I personally plan on doing the swap in about 3-4 years once i get a second car as a DD, and have this as my fun car.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Trade in the xD for something faster. Problem solved but bank account empty.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xD is not meant for speed,only thing that will give you power is a turbo,or just get a faster car

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-11-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No Scion (except FR-S) is designed for speed. Period. But they can be however you want it to be if your pockets are deep enough.

Our engines can handle another 80 horses just fine anything more then you wld want to get some internal components if you want your engine to last.

2ZZ is possible. Use their ECU and harness.
Our trans with 2ZZ.. possible? Yes. Ideal? No. 2zz would barely "lift".

Again. Our cars have very little limitations but they can be fast if your willing to invest. Its the matter if its worth it over just starting on a new foundation.

forgot to mention.
Turbokits are designing a kit for the 2ZR-FE motor. so we should be looking at something this Summer maybe

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-11-2018 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xD_kidd91
forgot to mention.
Turbokits are designing a kit for the 2ZR-FE motor. so we should be looking at something this Summer maybe
They really are going through with it this time? I've seen a few threads with turbos for the 2ZR, but nothing actually came through for it. they all turned out to be a tested car, but no mass production.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-11-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This time?
Yea there were only one company that tried. Due to the economy, they bellied up. The rest individually made theirs.

They working on it.

A good 200hp on this car would be quick for a this kind of car.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like I said, I've seen a few companies from various forums, most fell through. if turbo kits can actually produce one for sale, i would be in a tough spot between turbo and engine swap. i'll probably do engine swap in the end and drop a nice beefy supercharger on it
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your waiting period is 3 to 4 years, I wouldn't be stressin it. Something will be available. A local shop can supply you a turbo kit or blower or swap for no more than 5k
Old 02-07-2013, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know the owner of a Lexus repair shop, he offered to help with an engine swap, no charge. I just have to actually work and he'll let me use his tools and bay.
So for me a swap is more likely to be in my future. just need to buy the engine first

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-11-2018 at 03:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The turbo kits for the Corolla that shares our motor is done and is out... we just need to plumb the intercooler.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-11-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 PM

A lot of great points were made here. What is performance? If we measure only by HP then our cars are pretty screwed without forced induction or an engine swap (or both). But by adding components like a short ram, paired with headers, exhaust will give you small HP gains along with sharper throttle response. I think our biggest drawback is our ridiculously heavy flywheel. On the other hand, if we managed to swap that for a light weight fly (i am pretty sure one doesnt even exhist) our car would just burn up our clutch. It would be a long expensive process to make our car something it is not. Personally I invest in suspension parts. I dont need to accelerate fast if I never have to slow down. =P

-Kaname
Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thee1muffin
i want more hp without spending over a thousand. and air intakes don't do anything. they just make your car sound fast with that sucking noise. thats it. tons of videos kept disproving air intake improvements cause there is none. if you get the best intake, like 500 worth. you get about 3 hp gain. so i want engine improvements to get more hp.

You do realize that it is almost impossible to make this car or any other car on earth for that matter faster/more power for less than 1g note? The only thing you can do which you already ruled out is a CAI or SRI coupled with an aftermarket exhaust but, the power gains will be negligible.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xD_kidd91
No Scion (except FR-S) is designed for speed. Period. But they can be however you want it to be if your pockets are deep enough. Our engines can handle another 80 horses just fine anything more then you wld want to get some internal components if you want your engine to last. 2ZZ is possible. Use their ECU and harness. Our trans with 2ZZ.. possible? Yes. Ideal? No. 2ZZ would barely "lift". Again. Our cars have very little limitations but they can be fast if your willing to invest. Its the matter if its worth it over just starting on a new foundation. forgot to mention. Turbokits are designing a kit for the 2ZR-FE motor. so we should be looking at something this Summer maybe
FR-S is not really designed for speed either but, precise technical driving and drifting.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-11-2018 at 03:08 AM.

Quick Reply: How to make xD truly faster?