Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Oil change photos

Old 10-18-2010, 07:08 PM

I promise those were my final questions!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem old man!

Seriously, nothing special would be required. My wrench is maybe 16" or so. My only recommendation if you're worried is to take a rubber mallet with you and tap the end of the wrench to get an impact wrench-like action to knock it loose. And I think I said above, but make sure you warm the engine a little bit. Just long enough to make the low temp light turn off on your dash. A warm engine is more likely to let things knock loose.

Really though, as long as you've changed oil before you'll be fine. It's a wee bit differenty but not enough to be strange.

Yes there is that metal clip but you don't need to do anytning. There are nubs on the filter housing that move the clip out of the way when loosening/tightening it.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 PM

Again thanks. As soon as the end cap filter wrench and Fomoto valves arrive, I'll be giving it a try. By the way, here's an interesting story...a buddy of mine has a 4-cylinder Ford Ranger, a number of years older than my 2008. My owner's manual states that with filter change the truck takes 4 quarts of oil. When my buddy last visited, we both changed our trucks' oil...only he added 5 quarts! He did not have the manual, but had paperwork showing that his local Ford dealer had added 5 quarts. Out of curiosity, I called my local dealership. The guy in the service dept. said, 5 quarts! I was blown away! My dipstick indicated "full" with 4 quarts. A couple of weeks later I was at the Ford dealer's location and asked a couple of mechanics...they both said 5 quarts! I mentioned the manual and they said it was probably wrong; however, I did find a parts manager there who said it was 4 qts. One final call...to Ford at the corporate headquarters. I told a nice fellow in the customer service dept. that there seems to be a lot of mixed-information regarding oil capacity. He asked a guy whom he deemed the "expert" at corporate...and that guy said 5 quarts if you change the filter and 4 if you don't. Obviously he was wrong. I find it hard to believe that there is that much misinformation about oil capacity in one of their better selling vehicles. I know this is not a Ford site, but thought you might find that interesting!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is weird for sure! Oh well. Just remember that noone is right 100% of the time. Do what you find is correct. If 4 qts fills your oil pan, go with 4 qts!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 PM

I plan on finally getting around to MY first oil change on the XD...have everything needed; however, the Fumoto valve which will replace the drain plug has the nipple per chance I ever needed to attach a little hose....that stretches out the length of the valve, once it is screwed in to just a hair over 1 3/4 inches...is that perhaps putting the valve a little too close to the ground? I don't know how much clearance is under the car and won't know until I borrow the boards I will drive it up on...just wondering if anyone knows....
Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Icepik
I plan on finally getting around to MY first oil change on the XD...have everything needed; however, the Fumoto valve which will replace the drain plug has the nipple per chance I ever needed to attach a little hose....that stretches out the length of the valve, once it is screwed in to just a hair over 1 3/4 inches...is that perhaps putting the valve a little too close to the ground? I don't know how much clearance is under the car and won't know until I borrow the boards I will drive it up on...just wondering if anyone knows....

You'll be fine. Just don't do much off-roading or that nipple might get ripped off.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:33 AM

So. Inspired by the fabulous pix and excellent write up, I got all the stuff to change the oil except for the drain plug replacement washer. The guy at AutoZone looked at me like I was from Pluto when I asked him for one, and there was no one in the automotive department at WalMart to even ask. Where do I get one? What exactly do I ask for?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member

You can get the washer at Toyota. They are only like .15 cents
Old 07-12-2011, 03:48 AM

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member

no problem
Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Darlajanette
So. Inspired by the fabulous pix and excellent write up, I got all the stuff to change the oil except for the drain plug replacement washer. The guy at AutoZone looked at me like I was from Pluto when I asked him for one, and there was no one in the automotive department at WalMart to even ask. Where do I get one? What exactly do I ask for?
You can also reuse them if they are not deformed or indented. You can also
turn them over keeping the flat side to the pan.. I do this on my other cars too and never a problem.. but having a spare or two handy is a good idea.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:43 AM

Dropped in on my friendly neighborhood Toyota parts department this afternoon, and they just gave me the washer.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've changed the oil in my D probably 5 times now and my original washer is still just fine. Just look it over and make sure it's clean before you reinstall it and you'll be fine. But keep that spare just in case!

And don't sweat it Darla, it's not difficult or even time consuming!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. This will be the first time I ever changed the oil in anything. Now that I've gathered all the supplies, swept the garage, put on my oil-changing outfit (which is a less-good beater and some dirty jeans), I'm obsessing over whether I need a torque wrench.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Darlajanette
Thanks for the encouragement. This will be the first time I ever changed the oil in anything. Now that I've gathered all the supplies, swept the garage, put on my oil-changing outfit (which is a less-good beater and some dirty jeans), I'm obsessing over whether I need a torque wrench.
Meh, don't worry about that. On the filter, just tighten until it feels snug in there. It will bottom out and stop on it's own. just don't try and crank it down too tight. You can crack or strip that canister. As far as the drain plug, do about the same. Tighten it until you feel resistance, then give it a good yank (maybe another 1/4 turn). When you're done, start the car up and let it run for 30 seconds to a minute, then check for leaks. If you see a leak, tighten it up a little more.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 PM

Got 'er done!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the heads up! I never knew there was that type of filters & I maybe buying a xD within the year or two. I knew about the aftermarket ones (don't remember the name) which are like K&N for oil. Clean out with special cleaner and spin back on.

tC1s are so easy to change out! Toyota OEM F1 filters rock; I've got a very nice collection of used filters due to 200k+ miles. They filter out so much crap that its always least 2 lbs difference once used.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:49 PM

As to the post of oil leak at the filter housing.
I had the same thing happen the first time I changed the oil on my mini cooper that uses a similar oil filter system although the cap is aluminum. The problem was that I over torqued the filter cap which allow it to leak so be carefull not to over torque.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just wanted to drop a line and thank you for this write up. Made my first oil change back in 2010 very easy, and all the future ones even easier.

Just found this thread again today and thought I'd say thanks!