Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Pre-Cat & Cat Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pre-Cat & Cat Removal

I want to replace my precat and cat with a high flow cat.
I have been searching, but cannot find any place that has a replacement down-pipe with the high flow cat already installed.

is there anyone that has successfully removed the pre-cat and installed a high-flow cat on this forum?

does anyone know where I can get the pipe with the cat already installed with the necessary O2 sensors and the antifouler bungs already on?

I'd sure like to get all the HP out and get the miles for my gallon of gas that is becoming again, high priced!

If anyne has any information on this, please let me know where/how I can get this done. Thanks!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just stick with a catback... the stock cats are hardly restrictive and the incorporated downpipe is already plumbed at 2.5", just replace the crappy 1.75" piping after the resonator.

the gain in hp would be about equivalent to one less mouse on the wheel, and if you cut to much back pressure out, youll start using more gas, while making exponentially more obnoxious noise.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default CEL popping up

I put in the High-Flow cat but still get CEL after a few miles like regular, even with the CEL Fixer. I got the SIM, but want to install it under-dash instead of under-car. I just don't know where the ECU is. Bit of a noob here. Also if anyone knows which of the wires to the ECU would be the last O2 Sensor and maybe what colors they are, I could put in the SIM module. The SIM seems to generate a lot of heat, as the mfg wants it mounted to a metal surface, using silicone heat transfer compound..... Anywayz, I'd appreciate any light anyone can throw on the subject to make the install a little easier for me. Thanks again, and Aloha from us over here !
Old 10-31-2009, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you calculated yet how many miles you will have to drive for the questionable gas savings to make up for cost of the high flow cat and associated hardware? this car already gets 30+ mpg... doing some sketchy math:

calculated at $3.00/gallon, if you increased your mpg from 33 to say 34, thats saving you about 1/3 of a penny every mile. if you spent around $300 (which may be a little high) for all parts and whatnot, it is going to take you over 100,000 miles to make up for the money spent. that doesnt even keep up with inflation.

however, to help you with your CEL, we will need more details on how you have modified the stock exhaust. have you removed both cats and just installed the hi-flow? where are your sensors now located in relation to the cats?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ecu is right behind the engine if im not mistaken
Old 11-02-2009, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
have you calculated yet how many miles you will have to drive for the questionable gas savings to make up for cost of the high flow cat and associated hardware? this car already gets 30+ mpg... doing some sketchy math:

calculated at $3.00/gallon, if you increased your mpg from 33 to say 34, thats saving you about 1/3 of a penny every mile. if you spent around $300 (which may be a little high) for all parts and whatnot, it is going to take you over 100,000 miles to make up for the money spent. that doesnt even keep up with inflation.
I was watching "Gearz" hosted by David Stacey and he had an episode on how to improve fuel economy and by the end of it I wanted to punch him in the face. It starts out "there's a bunch of tips like having the right fuel pressure and changing your driving habits, but those don't work out as well as real modifications" Really? Because last time I checked changing the way you drive affects your MPG more than anything else. He had projects like new intakes, headers, cat back, and a few other projects which cost more than they save.

Sorry for going off topic.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uskrewed
I was watching "Gearz" hosted by David Stacey and he had an episode on how to improve fuel economy and by the end of it I wanted to punch him in the face. It starts out "there's a bunch of tips like having the right fuel pressure and changing your driving habits, but those don't work out as well as real modifications" Really? Because last time I checked changing the way you drive affects your MPG more than anything else. He had projects like new intakes, headers, cat back, and a few other projects which cost more than they save.

Sorry for going off topic.
sounds a lot like people who spend an extra $10k for a prius to satisfy their need for a small four-door. "OMG! it gets nearly 50mpg! its going to save me sooo much money!"

wow, that saves you roughly $.03 for every mile you drive at $3.00/gallon! that means you only need to drive it for 333,333 miles to make up for the extra cost! dont forget about replacing those pricey batteries either!

anyway, lol.... bwhite, do you have any more info for us to help you with?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang

however, to help you with your CEL, we will need more details on how you have modified the stock exhaust. have you removed both cats and just installed the hi-flow? where are your sensors now located in relation to the cats?
No calc reqd.... got the stuff free as demo samples. My uncle owns a muffler shop (no monkeybusiness kind) so I just cut weld, and leave. Therefore I don't care if the savings are calculatable or not as I get FREE gas too. Never paid a CENT for the last17K mi. I just want to max the power out on the little wind up toy that I have spent so many hours fussn' with. I'm sure you know how the modding can really get under your skin and nickel and dime you to death.... I got some pointers so I'll follow those suggestions and see where I get. Thanks for your input, tho.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bwhite
No calc reqd.... got the stuff free as demo samples. My uncle owns a muffler shop (no monkeybusiness kind) so I just cut weld, and leave. Therefore I don't care if the savings are calculatable or not as I get FREE gas too. Never paid a CENT for the last17K mi. I just want to max the power out on the little wind up toy that I have spent so many hours fussn' with. I'm sure you know how the modding can really get under your skin and nickel and dime you to death.... I got some pointers so I'll follow those suggestions and see where I get. Thanks for your input, tho.

This will take care of your CEL:

http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...0&categoryId=9
Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Fixed, and happy

Thanks guys, the ONLY one that worked is the Strupp CEL Elim. It's rather a pain to install, since the tunnel is not deep enough to turn the "L" shaped baby without dropping the entire cat, and resonater hangers. However, the work is rewarded by NO CEL / CODES anymore !
power/MPG and happy driver is all boosted!
this is what the Strupp CEL Elim looks like:
Name:  StruppCELFixer.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  139.9 KB