Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Right Section? Mod's for better MPG

Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 PM

Default Right Section? Mod's for better MPG

I just got a Scion XD last week and this is a whole new world for me because I use to modify Ford Focus.

I get average 28-30 and was wondering if anyone from personal experience has done anything to help get better mph out of the vehicle.

Mine is a 2009 and has 60,000 miles on it.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

You will hear pro's and con's about intakes and exhausts helping with MPG's...Now I will use me for example...I have an automatic, i'm running 18" rims and lowered just over 2"...I have a big a$$ audio system including several TV's...I have a short ram intake and an axel back exhaust by Strup and do probably 80% city driving...I average approximately 32-33 mpg but I don't drive fast...Low and slow for me...A lot of your mpg will depend on your driving habits...For example, hard braking, rabbit starts, high speed on the freeways, and so on...
Old 08-24-2011, 02:23 AM

This car has 17 or 18's on it they are the TRD rims and it is lowered. I have a side job where I have to carry products with me so I have boxes in the back a lot but nothing real heavy. The car does have TRD exhaust so of course me getting use to the car because it is way different then what I have ever driven before that maybe I will get a little better.

It is definitely better then what I was getting on the vehicle I traded in and I am glad I didn't end up with a SUV like I was going for.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
You will hear pro's and con's about intakes and exhausts helping with MPG's...Now I will use me for example...I have an automatic, i'm running 18" rims and lowered just over 2"...I have a big a$$ audio system including several TV's...I have a short ram intake and an axel back exhaust by Strup and do probably 80% city driving...I average approximately 32-33 mpg but I don't drive fast...Low and slow for me...A lot of your mpg will depend on your driving habits...For example, hard braking, rabbit starts, high speed on the freeways, and so on...
pretty much this. it all depends on the loose nut behind the wheel. i could go to say how i saw my mpg's go up after i modded my exhaust and got my intake, but those usually kill themselves out because now you want to go faster! with how i drive (spirited), i still get around what yelo has. granted i have the 5spd so that might help me out too.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:37 PM

ya, the whole modifing is suppose to help but really doesn't like you said because me...i would drive faster lol.

thanks for the input. i am looking to saving up money maybe doing a cold air intake?

i know on my hatchback focus i took the rear seats out and did weight reduction and that gave me a little bit more but i dont want to go ripping things a part in this car.

i am glad i got response i read about scionowners.com i had put a few things up there and no one has respoded yet. hopefully i can find the time to read up and learn a lot more.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exhaust (free flowing the better), intake, light weight rims, a lower vehicle will gain some MPG's on the highway, pulley... and of course the easiest is to run pure gas and not that E10 junk at most stations.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 PM

the car was alredy lowered, and had rims on it so i am good there.

i would like to save up and get an intake for the car.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

I hear good things about the lightweight pulley...
Old 08-24-2011, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clean the trunk out religiously (I'm serious, as an art student, when I did this I got almost 50lb's of junk out of my xb's trunk! )

Using cruise control will help, as will going the speed limit, and keep an eye on tire pressure.

Its a bit up in the air as to whether or not an intake and header will let the car breathe "easier" while cruising...but I could see it. It just gets alot harder to not "dip" into the throttle when the car growls .
Old 08-24-2011, 06:24 PM

Exactly on the whole "into the throttle" the only time I ever have a lot of weight is when I have bowling on Monday there is about four different bowling ***** in the back of the car but I put in right before I go and take out as soon as I get home.

The stuff that I sell on the side isn't even $25lbs so that is no big deal.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

an intake cant hurt. if anything it will still make you even out even when getting on it some lol.

the trd axle-back helps with your exit flow by a ton. if you had seen the stock muffler you would of scratched your head in bewilderment. the stock piping after the resonator is still way small though.

my NST lightweigh pulley hasnt given me any issues since ive had it. the weight difference from stock was crazy.

i do agree about shedding extra weight. i totally feel a difference when my car is full vs empty, so that has to amount to some mpg somewhere.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 PM

I need to do research car was already modifies so idk if its hull exhaust or a tip
Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

easiest way to get better MPG...buy a sports car...then when you drive your scion you appreciate your 30mpg that much more works for me
Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they only offer axle-backs and a couple headers as bolt ons for our car's exhaust. if you want more than its got to be custom.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by MonkeyMonsoon
easiest way to get better MPG...buy a sports car...then when you drive your scion you appreciate your 30mpg that much more works for me
I am much happier before in my previous car I traded I was getting 22...the car before that I totaled was a 2008 Focus and I got 40-45 so that was really hard to adjust to getting almost half the mileage.

I am happy getting my 20mph average but nothing wrong with a new more
Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xdtrdgrl1987
I am much happier before in my previous car I traded I was getting 22...the car before that I totaled was a 2008 Focus and I got 40-45 so that was really hard to adjust to getting almost half the mileage.

Friend of mine just purchased an 2011 Focus and it is a great car. Roughly xB size inside and gets better fuel economy than my xD.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

#1-driver, 2- lose car weight (note* larger alloy wheels can increase weight), 3- avoid cheap/alcohol gas, 4- aerodynamics/rolling resistance (lowering, tire pressure, drag coefficient) , 5-further increase volumetric efficiency (note* this does not mean larger I/H/E as most believe)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My z gets around 22 if I drive like a grandma...my cobalt ss about 28 sooooo anything over 30 in the xD makes me veeeeery happy since I bought it as a DD.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1
Friend of mine just purchased an 2011 Focus and it is a great car. Roughly xB size inside and gets better fuel economy than my xD.
Ya i had an 05 3 door hatch that i lowered had 17inch rims on carbon fiber invader hood...halo headlights and i had taken back seats out and gutted...that was my baby and i miss it then i had 08 sedan. It was nice but i am glad to b back to mofiing. I had waited for the euro focus to come over but they so runed it with the newer models
Old 08-25-2011, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya i had an 05 3 door hatch that i lowered had 17inch rims on carbon fiber invader hood...halo headlights and i had taken back seats out and gutted...that was my baby and i miss it then i had 08 sedan. It was nice but i am glad to b back to mofiing. I had waited for the euro focus to come over but they so runed it with the newer models
The Focus ST is going to be a great car...I just hope Ford doesn't set an MSRP that is out of this world.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Right Section? Mod's for better MPG