Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Short/Quick Shifter Kit(s)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Short/Quick Shifter Kit(s)

I've read the lot of threads on them but there isn't a definitive answer on them. Some people said that their TRD kits came with a plate and some say they didn't. There's in cabin SSK and engine bay ones? NST or TRD? So many questions. Also bushings?

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pShiftNST.htm
http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pShiftNSTbushings.htm
http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1361

Do all these fit the 09? Does the plate come on the TRD kit from sparks? Do I need the bushings? ahhhh I'm so lost.

I'm asking because it's my bday on tuesday and my wifey is wondering what I wanted. Was trying to decide between new boots from http://www.redlinegoods.com/ , a SSK, or rear sway bar http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1374 (btw, are there any other out there?) If you guys have any advice on which I should pick out go ahead and say something. I mainly need the clear up for the SSK though

Edit: Also considering an arm rest - is the consensus a Zeta arm rest?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I've read... the early TRD SSKs did NOT come with any realigning plate. It was added later and comes with all TRD kits now.

The NST engine bay SSK is the same thing as the TRD kit minus the aligner plate. The NST cabin SSK attaches to the bottom of the shift rod - accomplishes the same thing but just a different way. I really couldn't tell you if there's any major difference between the two methods but it appears so far that most xD people are going for the engine bay option.

The bushings are meant to firm up the shifting feel - by replacing flexing OEM rubber bushings with solid aluminum/metal ones. Just makes the shifting feel a bit more precise and solid. There are two types... one set goes under the cage that holds the actual shifting rod. And the other set attaches in the engine bay to the cables to connect to the transmission - same location as the engine bay SSK.

Another note on the bushings... I have a set (both cable and cage) of bushings from Dr Isotope on order for my g/f's xD. They are technically for the tC... but should be OK on the xD. They're basically half the price of the NST ones and are made of an extremely hard plastic called delrin. I'm fairly certain the cage bushings will fit fine - but not sure about the cable ones. Will be test fitting those as soon as they get in.

Oh, and all of this would be good for the 08 or 09 models.

No idea on the arm rest... she doesn't have one yet.

I suppose I could get to work on a sticky with all of this info in it... seem to be pretty common questions.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What happens if I get both the cabin and the bay SSK? Also what is the down side of not having the aligner plate? Does anyone else offer the plate?
Old 05-17-2009, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly I don't know if you could use both the cabin and the engine bay kits... I really don't know if it would work... or rather if it wouldn't work, I don't know what it would do. I guess I just don't know of anyone who has tried.

No known downside to not having the aligner yet. Not that I've seen. And considering that TRD sold their kits without it for a while and didn't really offer the aligner to past customers (that I know of) it seems to be not a big concern.

So far only NST and TRD offer SSKs that I know of, and to my knowledge NST does not offer the aligner.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nobody else? It's my birthday today and the ball-n-chain is asking me to make a decision.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well happy bday...

Ironically, I have to go to UPS to pick up the g/f's SSK in a few minutes... and the bushings arrived yesterday. It is install evening for me!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I suppose I'll wait until tomorrow for your information Thanks for all the help, ack. I wonder why no one else is bothering to visit my thread
Old 05-20-2009, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I'm done...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=260494

Short version: SSK installed OK. Aligner thingy NOT installed. Cable bushings NOT installed. Cage bushings installed OK.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to verify - does the TRD set on trdSparks come with the aligner plate? Also thanks for the thread, I'll be checking your updates daily
Old 05-20-2009, 03:23 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

And I suggest checking the following link...
It should answer MANY of your questions/concerns...
http://www.subcompactculture.com/200...nst-short.html

Everything that is written there regarding the Yaris applies to the xD as well.
http://www.subcompactculture.com/200...nst-short.html

Old 05-23-2009, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I decided I didn't want to go without the aligner plate, I mean it's there for a reason. Thanks for everyone's help
Old 06-29-2009, 05:49 PM
SL Member

Hey all, I have installed BOTH the TRD engine compartment ssk AND the NST in-cabin ssk on my xD and they work flawlessly together for an extremely short shift throw - around 40% of the throw distance of the stock shift motion! The TRD I had installed by the dealer when I bought the car in April 08 (I didn't know it was such an easy install at the time) and the NST in-cabin ssk I installed a few months ago. I totally love the combination!

one note, I had installed an aftermarket carbon fiber shift **** which makes my stick about 3" taller than it is with the stock ****, so the extra height of the stick negates a little of that short-throw "feel" of the stick because it is longer, but still it's a nice and very precise shift - I don't have any shifting problems, no binding, I don't miss any gears, and the stick still drops into each gear slot smootly... as a matter of fact, it think it is more accurate because the throw motion is so much shorter...

So don't worry about installing both engine and cabin ssk's together - actually I would highly recommend it!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you for the review Cylon xD

Good luck and have fun with all your future projects!
Old 06-30-2009, 01:57 AM
SL Member

Sure thing... I do want to get both of your bushing sets for my xD sometime soon yet, to complete the job! lookin forward to more xD parts from your company as well!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cylon try this thread https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=260494 It tells you about what bushings you should use
Old 06-30-2009, 03:10 AM
SL Member

wow, not good to hear about the NST bushings... I hope they are aware of this by now, it's been two weeks since that issue had been posted in the other thread... I assume this is just a problem with the NST bushings inside the engine bay, and not with their bushings for the shifter cage?
Old 07-05-2009, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I just installed it about 20 minutes ago and I gotta say... I'm not sure I like the shortness. Aside from 1st gear I don't use the clutch to shift, but with the SSK in I can't get into gears sometimes. I'd almost constantly miss 4th and 5th gears and then have to use my clutch to put it into gear. Is this something I'll get used to and eventually stop messing up? Cause if it means I can't clutchless shift anymore I'm pretty much going to just sell the thing.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default TRD Quick Shifter

I wasn't sure which thread to tack this to. I just installed the TRD Quick Shifter along with the supplied bracket. Did anyone have to 'persuade' their SSK onto the shift linkage as I did? It wouldn't slide down far enough to push the retainer clip through so I had to 'help' it down. I suppose I could have done some sanding on the inside but tried the hammer technique first and it went on with some force. Anyone come across this?
Old 08-08-2009, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There was very minimal clearance when I pushed my retainer clip in, but I figured it was that way to reduce play. The hammer technique and aluminium make me think that maybe you damaged something
Old 08-10-2009, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I don't believe anything is damaged, it was just a snug fit. Did you get used to the shorter shifts or sell it?

Quick Reply: Short/Quick Shifter Kit(s)