Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

STUMPED - chasing down rough idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default STUMPED - chasing down rough idle problem

My 2009 xD automatic transmission (2ZR-FE) has been having some strange rough idle problems lately, and I haven't been able to chase it down. Hoping for some wisdom from you guys. I'm fairly familiar with working with cars, but this was has me stumped.

Background:

- Check Engine Light came on two months back, ODB-II shows P0301 code (cylinder 1 misfire). I did all of the following below, and then reset the CEL. The CEL has not come on since, but the rough idle still occurs (again most noticeable in Reverse).

Things I've Already Done

- Replaced all spark plugs (cylinder 1's plug looked pretty grimey).

- Checked all spark plug wires and coil packs

- Unplugged spark plug connector for each cylinder one at a time and verified engine RPM changed for all four (this also confirmed that all four coil packs seem to be operational)

- Verified fuel injectors were clean

- "Listened" to the fuel injectors to make sure they all clicked at the same rate (screwdriver method)

- changed air filter / cleaned MAF

Questions:

- Does anyone know the nominal RPM for when it is in "Park" and "Drive"? I park ODB2 shows around 700RPM at idle, once I put it into Reverse or Drive, it drops to around 620RPM. Is this nominal?

- Does the rough idle in reverse indicative of anything?
Old 05-19-2019, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by jay.diem
My 2009 xD automatic transmission (2ZR-FE) has been having some strange rough idle problems lately, and I haven't been able to chase it down. Hoping for some wisdom from you guys. I'm fairly familiar with working with cars, but this was has me stumped.
Background:
- Check Engine Light came on two months back, ODB-II shows P0301 code (cylinder 1 misfire). I did all of the following below, and then reset the CEL. The CEL has not come on since, but the rough idle still occurs (again most noticeable in Reverse).
Things I've Already Done
- Replaced all spark plugs (cylinder 1's plug looked pretty grimy), - Checked all spark plug wires and coil packs
- Unplugged spark plug connector for each cylinder one at a time and verified engine RPM changed for all four (this also confirmed that all four coil packs seem to be operational)
- Verified fuel injectors were clean. - "Listened" to the fuel injectors to make sure they all clicked at the same rate (screwdriver method), - Changed air filter / cleaned MAF
Questions:
- Does anyone know the nominal RPM for when it is in "Park" and "Drive"? I park ODB2 shows around 700RPM at idle, once I put it into Reverse or Drive, it drops to around 620RPM. Is this nominal?
- Does the rough idle in reverse indicative of anything?
Did did you ever find cause of the rough idle ?

I'm having the same issue and am at a dead end for solution. My 2008 xD has normal idle of 950-1000 rpm. However, when put in R or when at a complete stop in D - RPM's drop to 650-720 with rough idle. If I shift into P or N RPM's return to normal.

No CEL, No codes. Have changed plugs , cleaned MAF and Throttle Body. All coil packs and injectors working properly.

________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-19-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, I never did. I think this is just something with older 2ZR-FE engines... I saw similar posts in the Corolla forums.

If you found out a solution, let me know.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:36 PM
SL Member

I just went through this with my daughters 2008 xD. At the end of August the coil for #2 cylinder died. Went to Autozone and cheapest they had was an $85.00 Chinese coil. Car ran great again. No more codes. Then last week she called and said it was doing the same thing again. I figured the new coil died. Ran down to her place and pulled the connector off of #2 coil and it died. That new coil was obviously good. Finally got the Bluetooth to connect with the OBDII dongle again and it spit a code for #3! I pulled #2 and #3 coils and swapped them to make sure it wasn't a wiring problem. Now #2 was dead. When pulling the connector off of the bad coil the idle changed slightly though. Connector and terminals looked great so we got yet another coil. That did the trick and no more codes.

I did some Googling and from what I read it seems these coils are failure prone. I'm going to get two more and keep them in the car. No more $85.00 Autozone coils though. The OEM coils are available on eBay for less than $17.00 shipped! The car has 205,000 miles on it and she just doesn't trust it now. Sunday she bought a sweet Subaru Impreza hatchback. She's giving me the Scion. She's bringing it later today. Now I can finally scrap my PT Cruiser!

Joe