Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xD Exhausts

Old 09-18-2009, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xD Exhausts

Hey guys, I've been just browsing for different exhausts and maybe considering one, thus far I've found a couple different companies that make any exhaust system for our car. I've seen the TRD, Precision Muffler, Tanabe, and thats basically it. I also seen a Greddy exhaust on ebay that looks quite nice, but I haven't actually seen a pic of the muffler or a sound bite. I went to the Greddy website and found a clip of a STI but that does me no good. I was just wondering if you guys had any idea about this exhaust or any other exhaust options available to us..

Thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Havn't heard anything about the Greddy one.

Also always have the option of getting a universal canister and having a muffler shop do the fab from axle flange to the back of the car. Allows you to make your own exit lengths and angles (within the realm of possibility of course) assuming you have a decent muffler shop around.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really like the one we got from DC Sports... Sounds really good - axle back plug and play... ^_^

you can see a review for it on our site www.microcarmag.com
Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea theres a greddy exhaust out. I think I was the 1st one to find out about it nd post it on the site lol . but what I dont know if its a full exhaust and if it is. go for it. and depends what you want. if you want like abit of a canister then tanabe had to options to choose from and the trd exhaust is kinda oem looking but sounds great. But its just an axleback. I might get a custom downpipe made.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took a look at the article about the DC exhaust, but I really haven't found anything online about it so I just decided to go with the TRD actually. I found one online for 260-270 shipped new. I figured I wouldn't be finding a deal this good for a while. Plus I figured the resale value couldn't be too far off from my buying point. I have heard nothing but good things about the TRD so....
I'll let you guys know how it goes, although it shouldn't be any different than any other xD with the TRD exhaust haha
Old 09-19-2009, 09:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

O about the midpipe, I honestly think if its for sound then it would be a good idea, but the TRD sounds great on its own from what i've heard. The xD really wasn't made to make butt loads of power
Old 09-19-2009, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Strup is in the R&D stage of an exhaust and should be out pretty soon from what Charlie from Strup is telling me...
Old 09-25-2009, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NE1 know of a Downpipe, Testpipe, or S-Pipe for an 08 XD?
I want to get one, but cannot find anyone who makes one!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no offense to whatever wants you have for your car, but a testpipe is a worthless investment. 1)illegal, 2)you'd need 2 since we have 2 cats (...or just one but thatd be stupid too). anyway, you'll never find a legit company making test pipes for the xD, or for many cars...ebay is your best bet but I highly suggest against it. get a highflow cat....much better investment.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a high flow cat is better than a test pipe... its flows just as good, but sounds way better.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeup. exactly, and it technically still has SOME catalytic properties, so you're still saving the planet :D.................................

pffffffffffffft
Old 10-10-2009, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
Strup is in the R&D stage of an exhaust and should be out pretty soon from what Charlie from Strup is telling me...
I have been on top of these guys for over a year on this R&D exhaust ... I can't wait for them to release it ... finally ...
Old 10-11-2009, 09:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

strupp eh? i'm also interested to hear it. though I just got a TRD axle back courtesy of Longo (thanks jeff) and i'm damn happy with its sound.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by TRDxD
strupp eh? i'm also interested to hear it. though I just got a TRD axle back courtesy of Longo (thanks jeff) and i'm damn happy with its sound.
Yea, I will call Charlie tomorrow and see how the exhaust is coming along...

Last edited by YELOSUB; 10-21-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 PM
SL Member

For those possibly interested in the TRD axleback, Here are two youtube vids of my xD when I changed the stock muffler out for the TRD - took all of 10 minutes to change out once I was up on ramps... First vid is after I took the stock muffler off (just for fun!) and the second is with the TRD installed, it does sound pretty good, but not overly loud:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk-ysDjI4VA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKtJYolaKqc

And here's a few pics of my TRD axleback, before and after the install - I bought this one brand-new on eBay for only $219 with free shipping!:

Old 10-15-2009, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I watched your videos the day before I bought mine, I'm jealous of your ramps.....I had no ramps, friend loaned out his jack, so i had to uninstall EVERYTHING with the car just sitting normally.

whats worse is I'm lowered on DF's, lol......not much clearance so it took a good amount of time..

finally got it in though. love the sound, and he's right, it's not overly loud or anything..its jussssssssssst right :D
Old 10-16-2009, 02:08 AM
SL Member

ha, yeah I was smart, I put the exhaust on just the day before I installed my Progress springs - so I had no problems getting my xD on the ramps. Not sure if I could get the car back up on the ramps now or not, lol!

FYI, the guy on eBay selling the "TRD sport muffler" for $219 free ship has a current posting on there now, with one bid, 4 days left...
Old 10-19-2009, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about an exhaust for dual tips;Has anyone done this kit? can anyone tell me if anything has changed from the 2008, 2009 to the present 2010 model.

http://www.razzi.com/image_database/.../642_200_2.jpg
Old 10-20-2009, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just so you know, it's just a bolt on tip. i.e. it's not connected to the exhaust at all (not saying you didn't know, just wanted to make sure you do..)

IMO, equipping any I4 with a dual is a little pointless. so even if that kit were a true dual, I wouldn't suggest it. the loss of back pressure, again, in my opinion, wouldn't be favorable so..:shrug:

just my 2 pennies.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Well I emailed Charlie ref the Strup exhaust and this is what he replied back:

Sorry about the wait. It has been a difficult season, sema is here, and we have been busy with that. They have held up production of the xD Exhaust. Will keep you posted.

Charlie
Strup Performance Upgrades

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: xD Exhausts