Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-drivetrain-power-1798/)
-   -   xD Water pump replacement (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-drivetrain-power-1798/xd-water-pump-replacement-209436/)

kuo34 12-19-2011 06:06 AM

I have squeal at startup since the pump was replaced. How do you tighten the belt on xd?

ThisorThatxD 12-19-2011 07:54 PM

http://www.garage1217.com/SCIONXD/PULLEY/PULLEY2/4.jpg

your basically sliding the alternator to tighten it. hope that helps

kuo34 12-20-2011 09:39 PM

Ok so pull the cover and tighten that bolt? My wife is out with the car so can't look at it.

Garage1217 12-22-2011 03:57 PM

Ouch... Did not know this was a common problem! I have 95K on my 2008 xD so I bet this will probably happen anytime :(

ThisorThatxD 12-22-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by kuo34 (Post 3951880)
Ok so pull the cover and tighten that bolt? My wife is out with the car so can't look at it.

correct.

@garage1217 : im surprised it hasnt happened yet for you. maybe youre one of the lucky ones? only bad thing is i imagine by now its out of warranty.

Garage1217 12-22-2011 04:39 PM

Oh yeah, Way out of warranty! Mine was purchased mid 2008 so maybe there was a change just prior to then or is it an issue with all 2008's? I drive mine daily as a commuter over 100 miles a day so it definitely gets a workout. My only thought is that I have run since new, an NST 10% underdrive pulley so all of my accessories have seen far less wear and tear than a stock xD.

ThisorThatxD 12-22-2011 06:41 PM

mine went out and i have the pulley as well. daily driven but not 100 miles a day lol. dunno but i would surely watch for the signs of failure. i caught mine early as it was leaking and i saw the coolant on my hood. some werent so lucky and lost both the pump and alternator cause the pump seized.

Swbari00 01-31-2012 01:02 PM

i took mine in with less than 3k miles out of warranty for an oil change and they found mine was leaking. I have taken my car to that dealership for every oil change since I bought the car new. I'm so glad they conveniently found a problem with my water pump just outside of my warranty period.

Edit: Not for an oil change, but a rear wheel bearing noise. How do they find a water pump problem while checking for rear wheel bearing noises?

firstkingofbeer 01-31-2012 07:49 PM

they did their job and inspected the vehicle for more things to make money on. actually they may have found it because there might have been fluid on the ground.

Swbari00 01-31-2012 09:37 PM

funny how they missed it every other time. It seems the TSB is not new. All circumstantial and coincidental i know, but still. 12 oil changes and the very first time it is out of warranty, 3 problems pop up. And the rear wheel bearing i have taken it in before and they said just road noise.

Gr8peJ3llyJamz 02-10-2012 04:08 PM

Hey guys I have the dreaded water pump issue on my '08 XD and it just hit 62,000 miles :-( Any chance on getting a write up on replacing it?? Every shop I take it to wants to pull the engine and quotes around $800. I really don't want to do that! Thanks!

YELOSUB 02-10-2012 09:42 PM

At this rate, I wanna sell my car before the dreaded water pump...

fmsk8r 06-17-2012 11:52 PM

A little over 47K here and it literally just destroyed itself while we were on the highway. I went to check it out and poured some water in and it was peeing straight out of the pump.

Swbari00 07-03-2012 10:09 PM

how much should I expect to pay for this to be replaced? I bought a new one and got the bumper, light and washer fluid out of the way. I loosened the alt bolt but couldn't get the alt to move at all to loosen the belt. I had zero luck with the engine mount so I gave up and put everything back together.

Swbari00 07-05-2012 05:31 PM

I was quoted about $900 to replace it. Guess I will be figuring out how to do it myself.

Duaner 07-31-2012 02:45 PM

I recently started hearing a "grumbling noise" coming from my engine. It was the water pump, or so said my local neighborhood mechanic. I asked him to repair it and he said it would cost over 1800.00 dollars and that he wasnt interested and I should junk the car.
To be sure, I went to Toyota and had them do a full inspection ( I paid 50.00 , which goes towards the repair, if you have them do it ) and they confimed it as the WP. My first qoute was $1078.00 from Sun Toyota. I then called Auto-Way Toyota and started haggling. I got them down to $985.02 , which included a rental car for free. I shopped that price back to Sun Toyota and they counter offered 1. A rental Car, 2. 875.00 for all services replacing WP.
Moral of the story , dont accept the first price. Haggle! In the end my brother-in-law replaced the pump and it ended up costing me 150.00, however you have to be mechanicly inclined to pull it off. Ever since it was replaced my car purrs! rives beautifully, has better pickup! Replaving the WP is a to do, for sure. However, its worth keeping your XD. DOnt accept the first price! I went from 1800 down to 875.00 and I am sure I could of gotten someone to below 800.00 if I needed to keep trying.

dartanian 08-12-2012 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Duaner (Post 4042204)
I recently started hearing a "grumbling noise" coming from my engine. It was the water pump, or so said my local neighborhood mechanic. I asked him to repair it and he said it would cost over 1800.00 dollars and that he wasnt interested and I should junk the car.
To be sure, I went to Toyota and had them do a full inspection ( I paid 50.00 , which goes towards the repair, if you have them do it ) and they confimed it as the WP. My first qoute was $1078.00 from Sun Toyota. I then called Auto-Way Toyota and started haggling. I got them down to $985.02 , which included a rental car for free. I shopped that price back to Sun Toyota and they counter offered 1. A rental Car, 2. 875.00 for all services replacing WP.
Moral of the story , dont accept the first price. Haggle! In the end my brother-in-law replaced the pump and it ended up costing me 150.00, however you have to be mechanicly inclined to pull it off. Ever since it was replaced my car purrs! rives beautifully, has better pickup! Replaving the WP is a to do, for sure. However, its worth keeping your XD. DOnt accept the first price! I went from 1800 down to 875.00 and I am sure I could of gotten someone to below 800.00 if I needed to keep trying.

Great story and good tips for those who live in an area with more than one dealer!

TheEdge510 08-18-2012 11:47 AM

my xD just reached 96,000 miles, and is a 2008. Mostly high way driving to and from school, driving with care (AKA not driving like an ___)...the water pump is starting to make lovely noises so I will be most likely getting it replaced...will post what they want to charge me (Massachusetts resident).

mikem53 08-20-2012 03:45 PM

this seems to be in issue with 2008 xD's. I don't remember seeing any posts with 2009 or above being an issue.
I remember reading a post a while back about them re-designing the water pump in 2009 for this engine. The new pump looks different, A new supplier perhaps and hopefully less prone to Problems.

str0seyy 09-15-2012 06:58 PM

Not sure why anyone is pulling bumper covers and fenders and unbolting motor mounts to replace a water pump in a 2008 scion XD.
Step 1.) Remove plastic engine shroud from top of motor.
Step 2.) Loosen alternator adjusting bolt and loosen both upper and lower alternator bolts. Push alternator towards rear of car and remove belt. Remove upper alternator bolt and pull alternator as far forward as possible. The further you pull it forward, the more access you will have to the water pump from above.
Step 3.) Remove the plastic shroud from the passenger side underneath so you can have access to the water pump from below. 4 bolts.
Step 4.) Drain radiator.
Step 5.) Loosen 3 bolts on the water pump from below, and two from above.
Step 6.) Pull pump out of crankcase and lift out from above.
Step 7.) Pull out old gasket.
Install new pump in reverse.