Notices
Scion xD Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

CASTREX's Yaris TS turbo project

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default CASTREX's Yaris TS turbo project

OK, So I thought I would start my own thread to document the progress and results of my project.

Be advised!!! Patience will be required as this is a low budget project and dealing with unforseen issues will always slow things down...

A little background:

I've been looking into this an doing a lot of research for about year and a half and by now I have a pretty solid idea of what I want to do.

About the car: 2008 Yaris TS with 23K miles on the clock. Body of a Yaris and soul of an xD

If you are not familiar with the TS, here is some specs:

Euro version Yaris T-Sport
5 door
17" OE Wheels
Upgraded suspension (Although I'm currently running on Tein Basics)
Trac Control / VSC / ABS / 4 wheels disc brakes
Engine 2ZR-FE 1.8L diual VVT-I
Short ratio C56 5spd tranny

The engine bay is the same as in the xD... same layout same dimensions... same everything.

Here is the car:

Name:  Droppedandclean002.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  Droppedandclean014.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  30.9 KB
Old 08-28-2009, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

About the project:

Low boost turbo set up.

My goal is to get this done with quality parts for less than $2.5k inlcuding engine management and tuning.

Currently I have 85% of the parts that I would need and about $1400 spent.

As this is all experimental and the results are pretty much unknown i will be doing this on 2 stages.

First stage:

I will be using a GT2554R ball bearing garret turbo. Because I found it almost new by dirty cheap.
This turbo should be good for up to 200whp altough on my initial set up and according to my calculations I'm shooting for 175whp with the 0.5 bar (7psi) spring.

I will be using a 38mm Tial WG and the internal turbo WG will be deleted.

A CX Racing FM intercooler (27x7x2.5) with 2.5" pipes. Ijust got a Universal set of pipes from CXR and will work from that.

For the Blowoff I picked a Bosch diverter valve. I'm planning to have it re-circulated but will see...

As for the manifold I will be using a Log style manifold... BTW I just picked today and looks great!! It was not cheap as it end it costing about $350 but is all SS and will hold a lot of punishment plus it will flow enough for much higher boost in the future.
I will be taking a few pics of the mani tonight.

I still need to find some one to take care of the dowpipe as that one will be one tricky part. Hopefully a competent exaust shop can do it.

The turbo will be semi lower mounted to the manifold... there is just enough space back there to acomodate.

Just to make sure the turbo won't ever touch the fire wall I will instal a TRD dog bone to limit the engine back and forward movement. Has any one noted how bad this engine swings?

Now for the Fuel and management:

Stock fuel system with larger (2AZ) injectors. The 370CC injectors from the 2AZ are good for 200whp so I should be OK.

For management I picked an AEM FIC. It will have to be hard wired and it the tuning will certantly be a challenge. I friend will help me with that part of the project.

For safety I picked a AEM wideband and will probably get a pyrometer also.

A few pictures of the goodies!

Name:  TSturbokit003.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  130.3 KB

Name:  TSturbokit001.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  165.0 KB

Name:  TSturbokit002.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  101.0 KB

Name:  TSintercooler.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  104.0 KB

Last edited by CASTREX; 08-28-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Subscribed.

I'm guessing with your budget, you plan to do all of the installation work yourself?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

About the plans for a STAGE 2:

This will only depend on the success of the stage 1 but if my car survives, this is what will come short afterwards:

-Upgrade turbo to a GT28RS ( Disco Potato )

-AEM Water/meth injection

-LSD + clutch

- 10-11 psi of boost

.... and hopefully around 225whp

Stage 2 would set me another $2.5k ouch! but if everything goes well it should be worth it.

The LSD and a Disco Potato are NOT cheap!

Last edited by CASTREX; 08-28-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xDTool
Subscribed.

I'm guessing with your budget, you plan to do all of the installation work yourself?
I will install the easy stuff... intercooler, manifold, turbo, downpipe etc...

The FIC will be wired by a friend (I'm an electrically challenged)... he is an AEM tuner and it should cost about $600 for the instalation and dyno tuning.

For the intercooler piping I will look for some Air con shop. They are usually good cutting and welding alum pipes.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

looking good Castrex! Get us pics of that manifold ASAP!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interested to see how this turns out
Old 08-28-2009, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like your already way ahead of the turbo toyotas project, heh. do you know if your going to place the MAF sensor before or after the turbo? i think someone was already talking about this in another thread.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if yours is euro sport.. do they offer some euro cars like a corolla sportivo? haha
but back to the topic. any ideas as to when you will have all parts and begin to installing it? and resources to where you get your parts will be appreciated. im saving up if this works =]
Old 08-29-2009, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pictures of the manifold..!!!

The welder did a pretty good job concidering this is his first manifold.

I gave him all the parts and some drawings and this is what it came out:

Name:  TSturbokit011.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  287.0 KB

Name:  TSturbokit015.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  180.8 KB

Name:  TSturbokit013.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  299.6 KB

Name:  TSturbokit012.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  194.0 KB
Old 08-29-2009, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will be keeping an eye on this ... good luck with the setup
Old 08-29-2009, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thats actually not a bad looking manifold, especially if it really was your welder's first. I can't wait to see how all of it fits together and to see how big of a PITA the tuning is...

Like Chang asked, you're doing a blow-thru MAF set-up aren't you?
Old 08-29-2009, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
sounds like your already way ahead of the turbo toyotas project, heh. do you know if your going to place the MAF sensor before or after the turbo? i think someone was already talking about this in another thread.
The MAF is going before the turbo for sure. A MAF after the turbo only means more problems when tuning....

The piping routing and MAF position should be very similar to Guillo's (puerto rican turbo xD) set up.

I'm really not inventing anything here! I'm going for what has been already some what proven...
The manifold is very similar to what TurboToyotas used for their turbo 1NZ's. The down pipe will be similar to theirs as well. After all the manifold/engine position and exhaust line up for the 2ZR is very similar to the 1NZ cars...

Originally Posted by xD_kidd91
if yours is euro sport.. do they offer some euro cars like a corolla sportivo? haha
but back to the topic. any ideas as to when you will have all parts and begin to installing it? and resources to where you get your parts will be appreciated. im saving up if this works =]
Europe gets the best sport compacts! no question about it... those guys are crazy for the small hatchbacks...
They had the Corolla sportivo with the 2ZZ engine, now they have the Auris 180 (180hp turbo diesel engine), the new Ford Focus turbo is seting the standard now for high HP FWD cars... The meganes, clios, 207's, so many TRUE hot hatches...

I won't give any estimates as regarding when will I have this done... As i said this is a budget project and dealing with unfoseen events is to be expected...

For example right now I don't even have my car and I will get it back in aboout 2 weeks... I snaped one of the shifter cables (... yeah I know!) and the delaer didn't had the spare in stock so thhey had to order it from Japan. After I get it back it will go to the paint shop for a front bumber paint job as some dude from my work scratched the bumper on the parking lot...

Then, my friend the tuner is really busy and will help me when he has time so that could set me back some time.

All in all, the project is rolling and I have almost everything that I need... but I won't rush anything... This is a hobby after all and it's to be enjoyed in all the stages... Is not only about going fast... is about take some pride in the hard work you've done!

And where do I get my parts? every where! from friends, at the classified section of this forum and yarisworld, ebay... is just a matter of patience... you have to be looking for the bargains.

I got the turbo for $400 (is $800 new), a new 38mm tial for $160 ( retails about $250), new Bosch diverter for $25 (retails for about $60), CXR intercooler and piping is only about $150 on ebay. The manifold can be had from JGS presicion. You can get a stage 2 and only weld the radius plate and turbo flange.

You also don't really need an external WG as all the GT25/28 turbos come with internal WG's. Is just that I found the tial for cheap that that gives me some extra adjustability.

The FIC I got from $150 on the forum, injectors for $50 on the forum as well...

Just keep your eyes open.

Last edited by CASTREX; 08-29-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DeathMachine
Thats actually not a bad looking manifold, especially if it really was your welder's first. I can't wait to see how all of it fits together and to see how big of a PITA the tuning is...
Thanks!

Since the manifold is not visible, we don't really need to worry for the looks.. is all about functionality... soft edges and transitions for a good flow.
With this kind of manifold you will never have to worry about cracks... this is steam pipe gauge ss pipe. It will last more than the car.

I will ceramic coat it as well as the down pipe... so they will look mate gray when their finished.

Please feel free to ask what ever you want or give suggestions! nothing is set on stone.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Subscribed*
Old 08-29-2009, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Awesome Castrex and congrats on starting your project...I wish mine would have gotten finished and now i've gone a different direction with my car...The only thing I have left out of my stuff is the 370cc tC injectors and powder coated pipes...I wish you all the best and can't wait to watch this journey...
Old 08-30-2009, 01:24 AM
SL Member

iahhh dialoo brutal i like it!!!!
Old 08-30-2009, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hehe it definately doesnt look pretty but it definately looks strong to do the job
Old 08-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

watching
Old 08-31-2009, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zefoxe
hehe it definately doesnt look pretty but it definately looks strong to do the job

What you are talikng about!!! It's beautiful...!!!!

J/k

The simpler the better...

People always look down at log style manifolds but it has been proven that you can actually get better response with a log style mani and they usually only fall short at the top end on HIGH horse power cars...

For less than 400 hp a Log style gets the job done

Quick Reply: CASTREX's Yaris TS turbo project