Notices
Scion xD Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Things We Know and Where We are Going

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

do you know what issues there will be with the oil return?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im guessing because the turbo is lower and more level with the oil pan, it wouldnt drain as quickly as it would if it were higher... therefore, it might be necessary to install a secondary oil pump to feed the turbo, in which case you will want to be installing an oil cooler as well.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Chang is right... You effectively have the same oil drain effect as you do with a remote mount turbo. IMHO I think it would be better, if you were going to mount it so low, to just do a remote mount. Keeping the turbo that close to the engine it would still need an intercooler, and as mentioned before probably an oil cooler. Leaving the turbo at the end of the exhaust would eliminate the need for both. And if you use a turbo with a .43 to .50 trim on the turbine wheel you wouldn't have much boost lag if any.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

STS turbo setup maybe
Old 08-26-2009, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I couldn't get a response out of STS the five times that I've e-mailed them. Plus you can build your own system for less than $1000 versus spending $3000 on a STS kit. Like I said on the first page of the thread though, thats the route I'm going. I'm working on putting together a kit to have it done by the end of the year.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe deathmachine gots something there. How bad would it be to get a stage 0 going?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Its not too hard to get something going, it just takes money. I'm using cheap parts though, just for the sake of doing it to see how it would work out, and will move up from there. I'm even looking for a used or eBay turbo. Yeah I know they aren't great but with it being at the back of the car I don't think that even catastrophic failure would kill the engine, it'd be hard to fling a piece of metal all the way up the intake piping and then UP into into the engine.

I'm even thinking about hitting up a junkyard soon and trying to get an old Saab or DSM turbo that isn't frozen.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im actually working with the shop that did my 3sgte swap on my xd to develop a turbo kit for the xD's for you guys =)
Old 08-27-2009, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by M2-Motoring
im actually working with the shop that did my 3sgte swap on my xd to develop a turbo kit for the xD's for you guys =)
sounds good. are you guys currently on the process of making one? any more info would be appreciated lol
Old 08-27-2009, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Mike, any word on it yet?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes the problem with a turbo mounted too low is oil return as this is usually done by gravity.

I don't have anything against a remote turbo set up but personally I don't think thats needed on the xD. You guys have enough space back there to cramp a small (GT25/GT2 turbo back there using a simple log style manifold.

BTW my manifold should be ready today! I'll post some pics as soon as I have it.

Keep it simple! Go for what is proven to work.

If you use a very small turbo to try to keep the lag low on a remote set up you will sacrifice flow at the top end... Iknow remote set ups can be made to work alright but is a fact that the performance gains are not as good as a regular turbo set up.

Just my .2

**Reminder for my self**
I should start my own turbo thread instead of keeping the threadjack
Old 08-27-2009, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^Yes pictures please
Old 08-28-2009, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

havent begun working on it but we are in the planning process of course. we've been swamped with getting cars ready for sema =) I will definitely let you guys know what my friends shop decides to do
Old 08-28-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hmmm... Was doing some reading around online and found that some guys that have home-made remote turbo systems are using Holley "red" electric fuel pumps as an oil scavenge pump because of the all metal guts and they are working really good. I think the part number is a 12-801 pump, only 97 gph flow rate.

Just something for anyone else looking to go the same way I am.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea the other thing that gets to me with remote is winter season.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Alright guys, I just got a PM from Rob at Descendant. It seems they have a new PNP injector and fuel rail kit for the tC/xB2.

As has been stated MANY times before, the tC injectors will plug right in place with the xD injectors, right? And without a wiring harness? If so, I'm going to give Rob a call and try to set something up to get the rail and injectors for the xD.

Any input guys?
Old 09-04-2009, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by xD_kidd91
yea the other thing that gets to me with remote is winter season.
Thats why I dont have a problem with the idea of running one here in Florida...

We only have 2 seasons, Summer and January.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DeathMachine
Alright guys, I just got a PM from Rob at Descendant. It seems they have a new PNP injector and fuel rail kit for the tC/xB2.

As has been stated MANY times before, the tC injectors will plug right in place with the xD injectors, right? And without a wiring harness? If so, I'm going to give Rob a call and try to set something up to get the rail and injectors for the xD.

Any input guys?
Not really input but... I just don't see the need for an upgraded rail unless we are planning to run high boost... and that won't happen any time soon as there are no internals available for this engine...

Perhaps this money could be better spent on some other necesary turbo supporting mods, such as a wide band, gauges, etc...
Old 09-04-2009, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That may be, but I think that in order for us to start seeing more and more parts available to the xD we should take what we can get. Who knows? If this does work, this might open up a line with us and Descendant.

Just like with pTuning, a kit from them can evolve into something more. The only thing this community really lacks right now is people with the money to commit.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the xD owners are anything like the Yaris owners, finding 10 people to up front money will be a really long shot. But that doesn't mean that the interest or the money aren't there...

Is just that these guys want to see pictures, videos and numbers and hear it from actual owners before getting into it.

It was the same story with the Blitz Super charger for the Yaris... it only produces like 25whp and it's like $3400 out of the box. Initially it took like 6 months to the main distributor to sold 2 kits... but after the people saw the actual thing working, like 15 other guys jumped into it...

Quick Reply: Things We Know and Where We are Going