Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2010 xd usb issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 05:18 PM

Default 2010 xd usb issue

I have a 2010 XD, love it, except.....
When I install my jump drive into the USB port it will only read 58 of the 73 folders I have with music in them. The music is all MP3 format. My owners manual says it should read up to 255 folders...WHAT GIVES????
I went to the dealership and all the XD's they have with the USB port do the same thing (9).
I have tried several different USB drives and they all do the same thing.
Any Ideas???
Misprint in the owners manual.
I am calling Toyota on Monday and the dealer said they would call their tech line on monday too, but for now.......help?
Old 11-02-2009, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have the exact same problem and took my car into the dealer to have them look. I have about 133 folders and it will only read 78. My music is also all MP3 format. They ran into the same problem on other new xDs too. They're supposed to be calling Toyota support today to find out if they know anything.

One thing the tech told me is that Pioneer also sells this same radio retail. They had to have customized it a bit for Scion given it has "Scion" on the radio and SSP (which at least name-wise is Scion specific), and it has speaker settings specific for the xD, xB, and tC. That said, I wonder if the changes they made somehow affected the radio to not read USB properly. I'd be curious to try my thumb drive on the retail version of this radio to see if it has the same problem.

If anyone hears anything on this, please post what you know.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:29 PM

The Pioneer engineer said they were looking into the issue and to check back with them. They are not sure what happened, could be firmware issues with radio or jump drives, could be file formats he listed a few other things too, but nothing concrete. I will call the dealer back in a few weeks for an update and see what happens. This is a pioneer issue to me, my dealership has been great keeping me updated and actually doing what they said they would. Ill post back if i find anything else out.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 2010 xD Radio USB Issue

Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem or has heard of a fix? It doesn't seem to be related to any specific number of folders. It does seem to be affected by either the number of files or the amount of space used on the usb drive.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by planetmess
Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem or has heard of a fix? It doesn't seem to be related to any specific number of folders. It does seem to be affected by either the number of files or the amount of space used on the usb drive.
Just picked up mine. Exact same problem occurs with Alpine Nav unit.
Will be tearing Scion a new one shortly.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:18 PM
SL Member

listen to the radio :p
Old 04-30-2010, 03:47 PM

This is probably because it is counting sub folders too. If you look at the stereo manual in the back, it shows the folder structure and the way they number it supports this guess. I am loading my 32gb drive up today so I'll see what happens. There is a program that can sync from iTunes to a USB drive (http://www.binaryfortress.com/itunes-sync/) and it lets you choose folder structure... so you could save on folder count. In fact, you can even just have 1 root folder with all the music files in the same folder (that program will do this for you). The Scion unit still can browse by artist fine like this because it's based off of the ID3 tags. Also, I found out to shuffle the whole USB drive, just hold down the random button.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:41 PM

I also have this problem in my new 2010 XD Pioneer system. I have tried both a stick and external IDE drive, same results. It will not read all the folders.
And these are not nested, just single folders in the root.

Also, the random feature is horrible, it picks the same 10 songs out of more than a 1000 songs.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 PM

I have also noticed that it does not always register all the songs in a particular folder.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Scion doesn't know what to do.

I've worked with a dealership and Scion Corporate on this issue. They have no idea what's causing it, other than a software issue.

Incidentally, the tech at the dealership thought the xD's system used Windows CE. Can anyone verify that?

If Microsoft is involved, I expect to get the blue screen of death on my Nav screen at any moment.:?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 PM

This is clearly a pioneer issue with their radio. They need to fix this bug and update the firmware. How about doing this I do not know, my dealership could not help nor did I expect them to.

Another issue I have recently noticed is that my radio looses all settings when the car sits for a few days. I travel quite a bit and leave my car sitting in a parking lot for a few days.. At which time settings like treble, bass, fader, ect all return to factory settings. However, the ration station settings ( which I hardly use ) are not lost..

Tester
Old 08-02-2010, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is interesting because i do not have a problem with this in my 2010.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
SL Member

I'm thinking of picking up an '08 Xd (has only 13k miles) and have a question about the stereo interface. I have a Zune HD, can I plug this in to the base system that the car comes with?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can use the Aux jack for a zune, the 08s and 09s have a USB plug and an Aux jack
Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You mean the '08 and '09 have a iPod docking type plug and an AUX plug right? Cause my '09 with the base stock radio does not have a usb port. I think that started on the 2010s only?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha wow, yea thats what i meant, got my thoughts mixed up, 08/09 has the ipod jack and aux jack, 10's have the usb port
Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xDTool, hehe...brain fart gogo!

Originally Posted by rld082982
I'm thinking of picking up an '08 Xd (has only 13k miles) and have a question about the stereo interface. I have a Zune HD, can I plug this in to the base system that the car comes with?

Not bad, not bad at all. My '09 just ticked over to 25,000 miles. Tho I've had it since August or September of '08...
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sefi
xDTool, hehe...brain fart gogo!

Not bad, not bad at all. My '09 just ticked over to 25,000 miles. Tho I've had it since August or September of '08...

just clicked 19200 on my 7 month old 2010....
Old 08-03-2010, 04:07 PM

Damn dude, 19k in 7months !!! I just only clicked 10k in just a tad under 6.

Update on radio nonsense. Took the car back to dealership and they had no clue as expected. Their suggestion was to replace the radio which is no on back order. My hope is that the replacement radio will have updated firmware which either does not have the issue and or has fixed issue.

I'll report back as soon as I find out.

Tester
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thetesterman
Damn dude, 19k in 7months !!! I just only clicked 10k in just a tad under 6.

Update on radio nonsense. Took the car back to dealership and they had no clue as expected. Their suggestion was to replace the radio which is no on back order. My hope is that the replacement radio will have updated firmware which either does not have the issue and or has fixed issue.

I'll report back as soon as I find out.

Tester

yeah, 100 mile round trip for work each day.

good luck on your radio!

Quick Reply: 2010 xd usb issue