Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Aftermarket Audio Head Unit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member

Default Aftermarket Audio Head Unit Questions

I've been contemplating getting 1 with navi and possibly DVD. I read in another thread that you can keep the steering wheels controls with a certain type of an adapter. Is this true with the majority of the units out there? But what about the ipod and aux jacks? And in regards to the car having 6 speakers? Is it really just 4 channels for the audio in the factory unit? It's not 6 right? It's not like you'd need an additional 2 channel amp if the new HU only has 4 channels?

Anybody maybe have some recommendations of some good HU's?

Anything else that 1 might need to know or be aware of before hand and any and all suggestions welcome...

Thanks...

EDIT : Did alot of searching after having posted this thread, and it appears as though there shouldn't be any problems based on the limited info I found. As far as getting all of the functionality of all the xD's standard equipped items. IE the ipod, aux jacks, and the steering wheel controls. If this is true, that's great!

Does anyone happen to know what parts are needed for this? And is it safe to assume your typical car audio shop will know how to handle all this?

Thanks again...
Old 09-14-2008, 02:03 PM
SL Member

I have ordered from www.Crutchfield.com a few times with good experiences. They are pretty knowledgable about what works with various cars and offer adapters and custom instructions for your car as part of the sale.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks Geo for your reply. I had actually been considering ordering a unit from them and attempting the install on my own. I've never put in 1 of these before but the install video they have on their web site, they make it look incredibly easy.

I'm assuming you've installed 1 of these before and is it as easy as it looks? In the video they just showed you removing the factory unit by pulling it out, and then using the supplied equipment, simply just reconnecting everything to the new unit, and then sliding that back in.

And that was it, seems simple enough.

Sound about right?

Thanks again....
Old 09-15-2008, 03:52 PM
SL Member

I installed a nice Sony head unit from Crutchfield in my 1985 Toyota Celica convertible. It was about a 5 difficulty on a 10 point scale. I think it only took about 45 minutes and I'm not very experienced with audio installs. I also put a similar Sony head unit in my Chevy S10 from Crutchfield. In each case they gave me specific instructions and cable adapters for each model of car. It's pretty amazing they can support so many brands.

Maybe not quite as simple as their video showed you, however, I had to partially disassemble the center console on both the Celica and S10 before sliding out the factory head unit. Their instructions walked me through the process for each car, however. It usually removing a screw here or there and then putting them back in when you are done.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The installation is quite straight forward. Just takes some time on the first one ever. The steering controls can be retained by using a special adapter. It more so depends on the unit though. For example, some Eclipse units have an input for the Toyota controls, while others, such as the Pioneers, require an adapter to 'translate' the controls to the unit. It's all seemless and hidden in behind the unit.

The car is actually 4-channel (Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right). The tweeters (small speaker near the window) is considered part of the front left channel. You can go to a 6-channel set up if you wanted, but the rear speakers, imo, are useless unless you plan to have people listening in the back.

Let me know if you need the audio removal instructions. I have them on my work desktop. I can e-mail the PDF over.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks again for the help. I spent a few hours last night looking up some things. For the most part the navi install does seem some what easy even for a noob like myself. The only thing I'm worried about is the wiring for the navi itself. For the wire that goes for the speed sensor and possibly the other things the unit may need for tracking your position. But I'm going to attepmt this on my own and if worse comes to worse just take it to a shop to get it done professionally.

If you could email me those instructions I'D GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

Email em to the_assman@hotmail.com
Old 09-16-2008, 02:32 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by xravexboix
The installation is quite straight forward. Just takes some time on the first one ever. The steering controls can be retained by using a special adapter. It more so depends on the unit though. For example, some Eclipse units have an input for the Toyota controls, while others, such as the Pioneers, require an adapter to 'translate' the controls to the unit. It's all seemless and hidden in behind the unit.
I have a friend with a Solara that has a steering pad interface module that operates on radio frequencies to control his aftermarket HU. He had a hell of a time trying to program all steering pad functions, tho. I was just wondering if the adapter you're talkin about was the same thing. He paid like $50 for the interface kit. Is that about right?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PM your e-mail address and I'll e-mail the PDF to you.

Yea, the interface runs about $50-$70 (depends which unit it's for). The current one doesn't run off funky frequencies. It simply emulates the signal the headunit needs. It's a simple program: Hold button for 2 seconds, then press Vol Up, Vol Down, Track Back, Track Forward, Mode, Mute, etc etc. Very straight forward. The older kits needed a laser to be aligned or something... which all the installers hate... it was basically like a TV remote piece aiming at the TV. If it's slightly off, you may be in trouble The control units have come a long way.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:11 PM
SL Member

^Yeah, I wasn't for sure if it operated on frequencies or infrared. Thank god my oem SNS didn't need one. Now all mine needs is a bluetooth interface. thanks for the tip.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:29 AM

I hihly suggest the Clarion MAX675VD, I installed it in my RS 1.0, and love it. That was last years model, I believe this year it's the MAX685BT, which is the same, only with bluetooth. I added Navigation, Ipod connection, CD changer, and a TV tuner, which are only a few of the many add-ons these particular models have available. My camera pooped out, but I will try to get some pics here soon.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was wondering if one were to install the Bluetooth controls from a Rav4 steering wheel, whether they would work with a Bluetooth compatible head unit (maybe another aftermarket adapter?).
Old 09-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There isn't an aftermarket adapter for the factory bluetooth yet. You can't really "add" it though... the factory BT is part of the OE Headunit. So your car either has it, or doesn't. If the headunit is replaced, the BT is gone.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

try peripheral they have all the interfaces that i know of for aftrmkt decks, i think its www.peripheralelectronics.com id just google peripheral though
Old 02-13-2009, 04:50 PM
SL Member

maybe i'm dumb but i still do not know if i upgrade the basic factory stereo (tc 2009) to an aftermarket one, will the ipod connection in the armrest still work? i know i need to buy the pac device for the steering wheel, but the former i'm not sure.

also what if i just get the upgraded systems scion offers, do i still need special cables to buy?

thank you