Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Appliques or something for xD interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:20 AM

Default Appliques or something for xD interior

Hey all, I'm a previous Scion owner, used to have a 1st gen xB a few years back and I am in the market for a new car, cross-shopping the Honda Fit and the Scion xD right now.

Anyway, I like the xD a lot and I am leaning towards it, but I was wondering, does anyone know if they make any kind of high quality applique or covering for the hideous glossy plastic bits on the center stack and the power window switch bezels in the doors?

The interior of the xD is taking some getting used to for me, I think I can live with it but I would feel a whole lot better if I knew there was something I could do about the iPod-like glossy plastic trim. I can't stand the way it looks and it seems like it will show every scratch and fingerprint. I tried a search and didn't come up with anything. Any ideas where or what I could do about that.

I hope to be an xD owner in the next few months. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well with my xD I touch the waterfall a lot but never see any fingerprints nor have I seen (or made) scratches. I really don't notice the waterfall anyways since I'm driving when I'm in the car

I know there's someone on here, patterntek or sometihng, that can put a different pattern on your plastics. Not sure if its possible to get a flat finish with him though. However, if you're kinda handy you might be able to pop the plastics off, wetsand them, prime and put a flat black color on it. With or without a clear coat of course.

I was thinking of wetsanding my plastics to a different color instead of a flat black
Old 01-21-2008, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

From what I know, they're all painted either BSP or PGP. you could always remove the parts and take them to a decent body shop and have them paint to match the car.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 AM

Thanks guys. I'm actually not thinking about patterns or matching the body color. I'm thinking more along the lines of something more subtle than what the car comes with. Not into the Fast and Furious look. I love the xD but the glossy plastic interior trim is a major thumbs down for me, probably the only thing I really dislike about the car. I could live with it, but given the choice I'd be willing to spend a little money to have a non-riceboy interior if possible.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

how about wrapping the pieces in suede?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:52 PM

That would be pretty cool actually! That is a great idea man. I wonder how hard it would be to do that, or get it done... That is more what I am after, actually that is even better than anything I thought of.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well, i havent taken Sonya's (xDevious) apart yet. Shes color matching her interior pieces Barcelona red, instead of the gray/black color.

If you can wait a week or two, i'll take some pictures and let you know the ease of wrapping the pieces.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 PM

Awesome, thanks again man.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

No problem!

Thats what this site is here for, helping each other out.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:01 PM
SL Member

^^
haha, i didn't even know i was involved in this thread.

at the dealership, i saw the black sand pearl xD with the black plastic pieces matched on the inside and thought ALL xDs were color matched like that. once i saw my red one and realized that i was mistaken, i bought the barcelona red paint and such.

unfortunately, i'm in school and have nowhere to sand/prime/paint stuff for my car. this mod might have to wait until the warmer months, or at least until i can get into a heated shop
Old 01-26-2008, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought of painting my black pieces either silver, a brushed silver, or do a nice dark red over the pieces but.. I gave up lol. Wasn't sure how to do it, not wanting to f|ck up a piece and need to buy a new one, or doing a bad job with the repainting I'd probably like to get a piece of plastic similar to the stuff inside and practice on that first. I'm a bit of a perfectionist lol.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If you wanted to spend the money for it, you could take them off of your car, and take them to the local body/paint shop. they can prep them and paint them whatever color you want. Thant might cost $150-$200 though.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I figured I could do that but I want to have the pride of being able to say "I did them myself!" haha. Not sure where some good paint shops are around there though.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:27 PM
SL Member

^^
i'm also a perfectionist, i'll be so mad at myself if i mess them up! jim's gonna help me...i really don't know what i'm doing...
Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

It's a pretty easy process to paint interior parts. If you're a perfectionist it's just gonna take some time.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:33 PM

I have seen it done, it comes out nice. if you take it off (center piece) and scuff it up with scotch bright and prime with a spray color of your choice....but then i am not talking from experience. I am going to be doing this in about 2 weeks, I will put pics up then.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 PM
SL Member

what color are you doing? the black xD i saw was already color matched with black sand pearl interior pieces.

looking forward to your pics and words of wisdom!