Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Dual Single Din Unit Mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dual Single Din Unit Mounting?

Hello Group,

Anyone know of a dual single din mounting kit available for a 2012 Scion XD? I am looking to change out the factory stereo and install two single din units. No not a double din unit, but two separate single din units, stacked. This is a custom special project fro the norm. One unit is 2 1/16 inches and the other is 2 1/2 inches in height. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Doug
Old 07-23-2017, 05:19 PM

I can already tell you that this one is going to be kind of a difficult mod for you to pull off since putting in two single-DIN units into the double DIN slot is pretty much never attempted or even necessary, but you sound like you have something in mind so I do have a small tip that you might be interested in hearing.

I have a friend who drove an old Toyota pickup that he wanted to install multiple single-DIN devices into, and he bought one of these and just fastened both units to this bracket and it fit into his dash with no problems. I would think that as long as either unit doesn't have a wide bezel around the face of each unit that you could just fasten them to that generic mount and slide it in place. You might have to create your own L-shaped brackets so that you can actually screw it into place, but you could take care of that easily with just a single square foot of sheet-metal or something and some cutting shears. I've also seen someone take the guts from two different single-DIN products and shove them into the empty shell of an old double DIN unit before but that method sounds much more invasive and warranty-breaking than just making your own template using this kit I'll link below. Hope this helps out any.

1995-2010 Car Radio Stereo Dash Install Kit Double Din For Stereo Install | eBay

P.S. Find a few pieces of foam or rubber to put between both devices so that they stay completely parallel to each other once mounted and don't end up breaking the mount or clanking against each other when hitting speed bumps. Don't bother trying to use cardboard or anything like that because it'll just flatten over time but some thick rubber or foam should do the trick for ya if it's stiff enough.