Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Fuel gauge mystery

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 05:54 AM

Default Fuel gauge mystery

Hey guys.. I wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem as me; I have a 2010 xD.

I recently took a trip to San Diego, from Riverside CA, and when I got back.. I ran out of gas. The strange thing being that my gauge said I had 3/8 of a tank left, so naturally I panicked slightly, since the gauge didn't read empty.

The first thing I tried when I got home was to put gas in the tank, and it turned right over. Now I didn't think too much of it, other than there must be something wrong with my gauge... until I got to the gas station to fill up. I have a habit of resetting my trip meter every time I fill up. Normally, I get about 320 miles per tank... this time the gauge only read 267. This was especially odd since that tank of gas was mostly highway mileage. I assume someone stole my gas, but I would think this wouldn't have any affect on the gas gauge. Now, however, I have driven approximately 200 miles since the incident, and the fuel gauge reads that I have 3/4 of a tank, which I know cannot possibly be correct.

I want to know if anyone else has experienced anything this crazy. I don't know what to do other than take it into the dealer, unless someone has another solution. I am afraid of how much it will cost to get fixed. Please let me know.. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2011, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by l1zz13
Hey guys.. I wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem as me; I have a 2010 xD.

I recently took a trip to San Diego, from Riverside CA, and when I got back.. I ran out of gas. The strange thing being that my gauge said I had 3/8 of a tank left, so naturally I panicked slightly, since the gauge didn't read empty.

The first thing I tried when I got home was to put gas in the tank, and it turned right over. Now I didn't think too much of it, other than there must be something wrong with my gauge... until I got to the gas station to fill up. I have a habit of resetting my trip meter every time I fill up. Normally, I get about 320 miles per tank... this time the gauge only read 267. This was especially odd since that tank of gas was mostly highway mileage. I assume someone stole my gas, but I would think this wouldn't have any affect on the gas gauge. Now, however, I have driven approximately 200 miles since the incident, and the fuel gauge reads that I have 3/4 of a tank, which I know cannot possibly be correct.

I want to know if anyone else has experienced anything this crazy. I don't know what to do other than take it into the dealer, unless someone has another solution. I am afraid of how much it will cost to get fixed. Please let me know.. Thanks!
Sounds like a problem with the float/sensor in the tank.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1
Sounds like a problem with the float/sensor in the tank.
Bingo,

Had the same problem when I had my xD. I hit a concrete block in houston in the middle of the interstate (late night, and dense fog), and ran out of gas on the way back, i noticed it staying on full for way longer than normal, and i was running out of gas at 1/4 tank. brought it to my dealer.

Toyota replaced the fuel sender under warranty no problem.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this hasn't happened to me. only fuel tank related issue iv had was one time i filled up my tank and when i started my car and drove away i noticed on the gauge my tank wasn't full it didn't light up the last cell but as i drove for a little it came on. that only happened once so and that was awhile ago idk.