Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

HELP w/ SWI-PS with Pioneer FH-8000BT and '08 Scion xD

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HELP w/ SWI-PS with Pioneer FH-8000BT and '08 Scion xD

I replaced the stock head unit in my car with a Pioneer FH-8000BT. It's been great for almost a month now, but I just got around to ordering the SWI-PS so I can use the steering wheel controls with the new stereo.

SWI-PS:

560 ohm resistor

wire harness

Apparently I'm supposed to follow the instructions here: http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...ehicles&ID=387

These instructions are VERY complicated. The part I'm struggling with the most is that the main plug I'm supposed to be dealing with, the one below...

...is indeed a plug that I haven't been using since I put in the new stereo, but how am I supposed to stick these wires into the pin holes on the plug? The wires are thicker than the hole. Sure, I could cut the wires behind the plug, but this would make it extremely difficult to put get the steering wheel controls to work with the stock stereo if I need to put it back in sometime.

That plug used to plug into the top left port of the stock stereo in the picture below:

I have a soldering iron, so I can solder or twist 'n tape whatever wire/resistor connections are needed, but working with this plug seems impossible without cutting the wires attached to the vehicle.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what all does the plug in question do? If it is just steering wheel remote function then just cut the wires.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can also use something like this:

Wire Taps

which is probably what id recommend. because if you ever go back stock you just pop those and electric tape the small gash in the wire jacket.

you can pick those up at most hardware stores in the same area that youd find butt end connectors or wire nuts.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, I think I'll do the wire tap thing.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This one would have been easier for you to use Axxess ASWC found here http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...xess-ASWC.html
Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hope you still on here. Wondering if you every got this working? I have an 08 Tc that i'm trying to install this for but I dont know much about this stuff haha. Seems pretty easy just dont know where exactly to connect the wires.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the wiretaps, soldering iron, solder, and other needed materials from Radioshack, but honestly, it's all been sitting in a box waiting until I have a few hours to kill.

Although I believe I possess the technical know-how to feasibly do this, it's going to be a challenge, and I just haven't been up for it yet.

I'm going to make a detailed diagram outlining where each wire gets connected/spliced/tapped with another wire before I actually do it because I don't want to mess this up.

The stereo has been amazing. I love it. I have never even needed the steering wheel controls, so it hasn't been a problem to put this project on hold.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Most Toyota/scion should be using the white wire on the swips. You split the wire so there are two. On one of them is 150 ohm resistor in series, and the other is a straight white wire. There are 3 wires being used. The white goes to one the white with resistor goes to another and one just ground. Can't tell you what the colors are but most Scions are like that.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DONE. I put it all together today. There was one glaring problem, however. See the following instructions:

"Connect pin 6 wire to ground. Connect pin 7 to the INTERFACE's White wire. Connect one end of a 560 ohm resistor to pin 8, then connect the other end of the resistor to the INTERFACE's white wire. So basically you will have two wires, one with a resistor in series, connected to the INTERFACE's White wire. Map/Info button is not used. If using the SWI harness that comes with the TATO/TJA you will need to replace the 150 ohm resistor with a 560 ohm resistor to be able to program the Bluetooth buttons."

There was no wire attached where pin 8 goes, so I had nothing to connect the 560 ohm resistor to. Aside from that, absolutely everything else was done exactly as the instructions say.

I was then able to program the SWI-PS to 8, and this was confirmed by the LED blinking 8 times. I then held the program button down until the LED turned on. The next step was to press and hold the Volume Up on my steering wheel. I did that. The LED is then supposed to turn off. After one second, I am supposed to let go of Volume Up. Then the LED is supposed to turn on, and I am supposed to hold Volume Down...and repeat for each control (Volume Up, Volume Down, Next Track, Previous Track, Source). However, after pressing and holding Volume Up, the SWI-PS LED doesn't turn off for about 6 seconds. And it doesn't turn back on. It doesn't matter which button I attempt to program.

So I'm at a loss as to what to do next. It's as if the SWI-PS doesn't see the steering wheel controls at all. This is probably related to the non-existence of a wire for pin 8. I have the resistor attached to the white wire like it is supposed to be, but it isn't attached to anything else on the other end (except a wire tap that goes to nothing).

Anybody know what to do with the resistor and why pin 8 wouldn't have a wire attached to it?