Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

how do you attach power cable from battery to amp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:51 AM

Default how do you attach power cable from battery to amp?

I know this is a stupid question but I am trying to avoid running it under the car.
preferably also avoiding making new holes.
thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 06:52 AM

forgot to mention it is a 2009 Scion xD
Old 02-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Zed
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i haven't run a wire in the xD yet so i'm not 100% on this, but i know from my previous car, and previous installs i've done, a hole will have to be drilled, the most important part is to put a gromit on the hole.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:21 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Zed
i haven't run a wire in the xD yet so i'm not 100% on this, but i know from my previous car, and previous installs i've done, a hole will have to be drilled, the most important part is to put a gromit on the hole.
actually with most cars the power wire is run through the firewall with the main harness or other grommets that are already there. The run along one side of the car under kick panels and then to the back. I have never seen a car that there was no way to run power except under the car..... too many chances for problems!
Old 02-02-2009, 04:34 AM

my friend actually helped me with this today.

we went through a tight space leading to where the driver's side door is

we didn't need to drill any holes
only problem was that it was a really tight fit but we got it through with a leading wire.

i anyone wants pics I can try to post some tomorrow
Old 02-02-2009, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I ran it through the passenger side grommet. It was no problem at all and maybe took 7 mins. to find and run the wire through. I then ran it underneath the dash to the drivers side and down the side of the car to the trunk. That took maybe another 11mins. LOL. This car is easy as hell to work on.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
I ran it through the passenger side grommet. It was no problem at all and maybe took 7 mins. to find and run the wire through. I then ran it underneath the dash to the drivers side and down the side of the car to the trunk. That took maybe another 11mins. LOL. This car is easy as hell to work on.

oh man
took me way longer than that
I'm new at working on things like this
trying to learn for future references.

I want to replace all the interior lights to blue but I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing so I'm waiting to build up the confidence.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea man i feel you

Just take your time doing everything, do plenty of research and never rush an install

The last thing you want to do is mess up a brand new car just because you didnt have a little patience.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:52 AM

this is how I ran the wire.

goes through here

this is how it looks with the door open

runs down till here

goes into here and runs along to the back

it's not visible from the outside

when I put it vertically down the door it didn't get crushed or rubbed

the only problem i had was closing the hood
(solved by just moving the wire around so it wasn't in the way)

it is visible when the door is open. but when I have the interior lights blue it will fit in so personally it doesn't bother me.

it is not visible from the outside at all.
(or at least i haven't been able to see anything)

not the smoothest way to do this but it works.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

fixed the images for ya
Old 02-02-2009, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
yea man i feel you

Just take your time doing everything, do plenty of research and never rush an install

The last thing you want to do is mess up a brand new car just because you didnt have a little patience.

yea.
that would be horrible.

luckily one of my good friends knows how to help me work on things when I need help.
up to a certain extent.
I think we'd both be winging it and going off of DIYs on the internet for the LEDs though.
nerve racking.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

might wanna try doing a search on this one, as i know i've either done a post or added to a post quite a while back, just use the search option at the top. the best way is thru the firewall, no need to drill anything. will need to pull the dash out, the radio out, the a pillar covers out, the gage pod trim out. the same grom the main wire harness goes thru has just enough room for the power line, may need a snake to get it thru. then run under the driver/pass trim along the sides inside. time consuming but proffessional looking. dont half ___ it with a drilled hole in the firewall.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by cobaltbravo
might wanna try doing a search on this one, as i know i've either done a post or added to a post quite a while back, just use the search option at the top. the best way is thru the firewall, no need to drill anything. will need to pull the dash out, the radio out, the a pillar covers out, the gage pod trim out. the same grom the main wire harness goes thru has just enough room for the power line, may need a snake to get it thru. then run under the driver/pass trim along the sides inside. time consuming but proffessional looking. dont half butt it with a drilled hole in the firewall.
I didnt have to do 1/10th of all the work. I just ran a cable through the firewall.... and da na! it was done!
Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I ran 0 gauge for mine and couldn't get it thru any of the grommets... So... I made my own!! Cutting thru the firewall isn't bad, you just have to make sure that you seal it off really well...
Old 02-06-2009, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

nah man that way is a real no no if u need to run it, i actually ran mine across the back of the wall to the pass side, theres a power harness grommet and its pretty butters if u need pics just lemme know
Old 03-13-2009, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can someone post pics of where they ran the wire through the firewall that was easiest?

I am about to put a new stereo in my XD and would love to have an idea of where to start.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by steezie
nah man that way is a real no no if u need to run it, i actually ran mine across the back of the wall to the pass side, theres a power harness grommet and its pretty butters if u need pics just lemme know
so you are saying no need to remove the whole dash? i would love to do this without dash removal, and im not so hot about that door hinge maneuver.

thanks!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out this post... it shows where to run it. I guess you have to take out the dash:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=254104

I looked on the passenger side and couldn't find the grommet that was talked about on the passenger side, but I may have missed it. Unless someone can post pics of the passenger side grommet.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by ScionXD08
Check out this post... it shows where to run it. I guess you have to take out the dash:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=254104

I looked on the passenger side and couldn't find the grommet that was talked about on the passenger side, but I may have missed it. Unless someone can post pics of the passenger side grommet.

yea thanks, ive seen this already though.. hm i guess ill have to take a look and try to find it for myself.... i read in another thread that some guy was able to just reach up behind the dash and push his 0guage through! no dash removal! haha
Old 04-21-2009, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, that was what I was hoping to hear, but then read the whole dash needs to come out. I haven't actually seen pics of where it was ran on the passenger side, so I am not sure if its true or not.

I'm building a fiberglass box for my XD, I just ordered the wire, so I will post when I actually go to run it and see if I can find an easier spot. You would think they would make an easier spot since they offer the CD upgrade with RCA outputs assuming people will install amps into the car.

Anyway, if you find the passenger side grommet, take a picture and post it. I would rather not take out the dash if not necessary.

Quick Reply: how do you attach power cable from battery to amp?