Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Interior Lighting Updated to LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Interior Lighting Updated to LEDs

I received my new interior LED bulbs today and put them in a few minutes, with the exception of the License Plate bulbs... No human hand should be expected to fit inside that access hole, let alone to grip, turn and pull... The Navigation Mod is easier than putting in new LP bulbs... arrrrgghhhh...

Anyways... I have leather interior in black, with blue inserts and blue stitching, I also have the under dash LED lighting and have the bulbs coming to do a LED swap on the instrument panel to swap that to blue. So, I figured, blue, blue and more blue. I put Blue LED's into the front Map/Convenience lights, the overhead dome light, and the cargo area dome light. Here are some pics of the change it made. The LEDs are plenty bright to say the least!

Stock bulbs in the Map/Convenience Lights:

Blue LEDs in the Map/Convenience Lights:

Stock Bulb in the Overhead Dome Light:

Blue LEDs in the Overhead Dome Light:

Blue LEDs in the Cargo Dome Light: Note the replacement bulbs are shorter than this stock bulb in the cargo light only, so I modified the bulb fitting in this lamp to make it work.

Finally, the overall effect with the Map/Convenience and Overhead Dome lights on:

I got the bulbs from Garage1217's on line store, here's a link: http://store.garage1217.com
Old 01-27-2009, 01:20 AM
SL Member

Very nice, I went all white on mine, and changed out the license plate light also

As far as the hatch light in the very back of the car, like said, the new bulb is smaller, and all you need to do in order to make the new bulb fit into the socket, is do some simple bending, once you see it, it will be very obvious what I mean.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:50 AM
Zed
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks great!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 PM

That looks cool. Can you be more specific on which bulbs you ordered from the site? I'd like to do this in my car as well. Thanks

EDIT

Never mind, got a response from the site and placed my order
Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by mtvaill
That looks cool. Can you be more specific on which bulbs you ordered from the site? I'd like to do this in my car as well. Thanks

EDIT

You can pick from the colors: red, white, blue, or green

-bulbs for front click on map lights "2" http://store.garage1217.com/insane-1...edg194168.html

-bulbs for license plate light "2" http://store.garage1217.com/insane-1...edg194168.html

-bulb for main center dome light "1" http://store.garage1217.com/super-br...toon43022.html

-bulb for rear hatch light "1" http://store.garage1217.com/super-br...toon43022.html
Old 01-28-2009, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by imageex

EDIT

You can pick from the colors: red, white, blue, or green

-bulbs for front click on map lights "2" http://store.garage1217.com/insane-1...edg194168.html

-bulbs for license plate light "2" http://store.garage1217.com/insane-1...edg194168.html

-bulb for main center dome light "1" http://store.garage1217.com/super-br...toon43022.html

-bulb for rear hatch light "1" http://store.garage1217.com/super-br...toon43022.html
That would be exactly it.. Herre is what I ordered!

They are very helpful, and they have an online store. I just ordered the lights to change the interior lighting on my xD to Blue. You need 2 ea of the #194 bulb for the front companion/map lights, they come in a variety of colors. You need 1 each of the #3022 bulb for the dome light and 1 ea of that bulb for the trunk light, again they come in colors.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:16 PM
SL Member

I have a question, how exactly did you pop off the front click light see-through part? Do all the covers just pop off? How did you pop them off?
Old 01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MegaManX
I have a question, how exactly did you pop off the front click light see-through part? Do all the covers just pop off? How did you pop them off?
On the lens/light removal I just used a flat tip, small flat tip screwdriver. On the Map/Convenience light, go under the edge, the whole light assembly pops out and the new bulbs are put in from the back. Just take it easy so you don't scratch the plastic or the headliner. There is a bit of resistance, but no worries, it pops right out and pops right back in. For the Main Dome light, take the small flat tip screwdriver and go into the front edge, between the trim and the lens, there are two clips, the lens assembly pops right out, the bulbs are pushed up into this fixture as the fixture remains in the headliner. For the cargo area light again, use the small flat tip and carefully pop it between the light and the plastic of the cargo liner panel the light is mounted in, pry the light out. You can use a rag to pry on to prevent scratching the cargo liner panel. The whole light assembly pops out and the bulb is inserted from the back. Again, this one just pops right back in when you are finished. On a side note, the LEDs for the Dome and Cargo lights are mounted in the bulb on a flat panel, make sure you face the lights towards the lens and not away from the lens.

If you need pictures let me know, I have the service manual for the vehicle and I could post something from Toyota on this. If you look up at the pics I posted, the one of the Dome light, you can see the 2 locations that lens is clipped at, on the other lights, the whole light assembly pops out.

Have fun!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:49 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by w_kary
On the lens/light removal I just used a flat tip, small flat tip screwdriver. On the Map/Convenience light, go under the edge, the whole light assembly pops out and the new bulbs are put in from the back. Just take it easy so you don't scratch the plastic or the headliner. There is a bit of resistance, but no worries, it pops right out and pops right back in. For the Main Dome light, take the small flat tip screwdriver and go into the front edge, between the trim and the lens, there are two clips, the lens assembly pops right out, the bulbs are pushed up into this fixture as the fixture remains in the headliner. For the cargo area light again, use the small flat tip and carefully pop it between the light and the plastic of the cargo liner panel the light is mounted in, pry the light out. You can use a rag to pry on to prevent scratching the cargo liner panel. The whole light assembly pops out and the bulb is inserted from the back. Again, this one just pops right back in when you are finished. On a side note, the LEDs for the Dome and Cargo lights are mounted in the bulb on a flat panel, make sure you face the lights towards the lens and not away from the lens.

If you need pictures let me know, I have the service manual for the vehicle and I could post something from Toyota on this. If you look up at the pics I posted, the one of the Dome light, you can see the 2 locations that lens is clipped at, on the other lights, the whole light assembly pops out.

Have fun!
If you could post the service manual, tat would be a great help. BTW, I have an xB2, so hopefully the instructions are very similar.

For the 2 map lights, did you pry it out with the screwdriver from the windshield side or the other side?

you said the Dome and Cargo lights are mounted in the bulb on a flat panel, and to make sure I face the lights towards the lens and not away from the lens....could you clarify please? Like in the end, are the lights faced towards the vehicle and not towards people?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure on the xB2. But I will post the pages from the service manual when I get home tonight. Or better yet PM me your e-mail and I'll send the pdf files to you.

On the front lights I started on the passenger side, got a small gap and then moved to the drivers side, got a small gap and then pulled the whole assembly out by hand.

The LED bulbs for the Map lights are a push in bulb, kind of like christmas tree lights, with a spade, they only go in one way so not an issue.

The LED bulbs that go in the dome and cargo lights are a round tube, with a metal cap on each end, kind of look like the old glass fuses if that rings a bell. There is a wire from each end that goes to a tiny circuit board, the LEDs are mounted on this board. So one side of the board is blank, the other has your LEDs on it. Since this tube can spin in the mount, make sure the side of the board with the LEDs is facing the lens of the light, you will get the most effect and light that way.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I tried posting the pics, they pdf files and too big to attach on my profile, so if you want the service manual pages on the lights you will have to PM me with an e-mail address I can send them to.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:23 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by w_kary

Have fun!
If you could post the service manual, tat would be a great help. BTW, I have an xB2, so hopefully the instructions are very similar.

For the 2 map lights, did you pry it out with the screwdriver from the windshield side or the other side?

you said the Dome and Cargo lights are mounted in the bulb on a flat panel, and to make sure I face the lights towards the lens and not away from the lens....could you clarify please? Like in the end, are the lights faced towards the vehicle and not towards people?
Ekk, i wouldn't pull out the whole fixture on the front two click on lights. All I did was popped of the plastic lenses with a flat head screw driver from the windshield side, came our real easy, not sure about the xB2 though..
Old 01-30-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Great post And yeah, all you have to do to the front domes & rear dome is simply use a small jewelers screwdriver to pop off the covers like so

Old 01-30-2009, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oops... apparently next time I try to do this I should do it with a light and reading glasses for my 47 year old eyes! he he he... it worked, but yes, just popping off a lens cover is always a better option than pulling out the whole light fixture. Never too old to learn something! Thanks for the save imageex and Garage1217!

p.s.: Thanks for not getting the LED swap for the gauge cluster to me today Garage1217, my cold air intake arrived and I got that installed, now I'll have all weekend to mess with the gauge swap!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:41 PM

By the way if an led doesn't seem to work when you first install it, flip it around. Took me a few minutes today to realize that both types CAN be installed backwards...
Old 01-31-2009, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By the way if an led doesn't seem to work when you first install it, flip it around. Took me a few minutes today to realize that both types CAN be installed backwards...
Excellent point, it does matter which direction you insert an LED where the stock bulbs it does not. Make sure you test em before you reinstall the covers!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:35 AM

great info on removal here. thanks.

i like the blue, but its not for me. i was thinking of white. i hate the yellowish color of interior lights. the only thing is that i dont want the EXTREME brightness that the leds give off. any other suggestions?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Order in the white aluminum ringed 194/168 for the fronts from my webstore. You will be totally happy, 0 yellow. Color is stunning. In about 3 weeks, I will have a matching rear version as well!
Old 04-25-2009, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone know where to buy Orange interior LED's? Having trouble finding them... I think they would look good in my RS1.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionXD08
Anyone know where to buy Orange interior LED's? Having trouble finding them... I think they would look good in my RS1.
You want these:

http://www.oznium.com/flexible-5mm-led-dome

Quick Reply: Interior Lighting Updated to LEDs