Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Should I Replace the Lumbar Foam or the Seat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Should I Replace the Lumbar Foam or the Seat?

Hi MR_LUV! I would LUV it if you could recommend a solution for my problem. I have a 2008 Scion xD (manual) that I've owned since 2010. I'm not sure if the lumbar foam has worn out or if it was never there and I just didn't notice until now,
but there's a hard metal or plastic bump right where the center of my lower back sits.

Should I try to stuff more foam in there somehow (I looked into removing the stock seat cover and couldn't figure it out) or should I replace the seat? I don't really do anything aftermarket except the stereo,
so I have no idea where to start with a compatible seat. What kind of cost are we looking at? Can I install it myself? I have lots of tools, and I'm pretty handy.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-09-2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Started New Thread
Old 03-09-2018, 11:25 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by willcoq
Hi MR_LUV! I would LUV it if you could recommend a solution for my problem. I have a 2008 Scion xD (manual) that I've owned since 2010. I'm not sure if the lumbar foam has worn out or if it was never there and I just didn't notice until now, but there's a hard metal or plastic bump right where the center of my lower back sits. Should I try to stuff more foam in there somehow (I looked into removing the stock seat cover and couldn't figure it out) or should I replace the seat? I don't really do anything aftermarket except the stereo, so I have no idea where to start with a compatible seat. What kind of cost are we looking at?
Can I install it myself? I have lots of tools, and I'm pretty handy. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

I've own a lot of cars but, sorry I have no experience with car re-upholstery. On the surface, it would be unlikely your lumbar foam was missing. More than likely after 10 years it has worn down. You can try and re-upholster like in the video but, that is a lot of work.
My current 2015 RS9 tC2.5 has no problem with lumbar support. My old 99' Chrysler Town and Country minivan seats are in good condition because I keep a car seat cover over them but, has zero lumbar support so I bought a lumbar support cushion and that has
worked well for me:

Amazon Amazon

You may want to check other cushions for size and thickness per your requirements. I would consider this Option before I consider re-upholstering or replacing your seats altogether.

MR_LUV

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-10-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you for the advice!
Old 03-11-2018, 01:22 PM
Banned
SL Member

FWIW, going to an automotive upholstery shop would be the best thing to do, unless you are adept at the fabric arts. I've never seen a home-done upholstery job that look any batter than stuffing foam into a bag.