Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

XM Radio for my '08 xD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:50 AM

Default XM Radio for my '08 xD?

I just purchased a '08 xD this weekend. The factory stereo is a Pioneer T1808 that says its "Sat Radio Ready."

From what I have gathered, Sat Radio Ready doesn't mean much. I need to purchase a tuner and a new antenna? I really have no idea and have never dealt with car stereos before. I assume that you guys know much more about this than I do.

I've seen things that should do the trick on eBay for like $270. I don't have much to spend on it (definitely less than $200) and I don't know anything about installing these, but I'm willing to try if it isn't too difficult (step by step video?).

On Craigslist in my area there are inexpensive Delphi SkiFi2's, a Belkin F5X007, a Jenson jxR9. Will any of those work for me?

My wife would really appreciate having XM in the car and if we could use the steering wheel controls for it, that would even be better.

Thank you so much in advance.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really, any double din radio should *technically* work.... do some searching on here, as there have been threads on here already...
Old 06-03-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
really, any double din radio should *technically* work.... do some searching on here, as there have been threads on here already...
Thank you for the response.
I did quite a bit of searching this afternoon.

It appears that if I want to use the steering wheel audio controls and the already installed audio controls I will need to purchase a Tuner and some sort of Fit Kit or cable. I have seen conflicting information on the cable. Some have said the Pioneer cable is fine and others have said I need the Toyota cable.

I'm not sure what a double din radio is. I searched for the term, but there really isn't a list. Do you have examples? The P920XM?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a double din is a double "tall" radio. a single din looks like a dvd drive in a computer. a double din looks like two of those stacked together (with only one slot of course).

our cars take double din.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:40 PM

I might be wrong, but isn't the double din a size of the radio head unit? I think what I need is a tuner box (and antenna, etc.) to hook up to the radio right? It looks like a P920XM would work for this. I'm wondering if its compatible with the stock Pioneer T1808
Old 06-18-2010, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

should be if it has the proper connections. otherwise you might need a harness. but i know what you're saying, but you were naming radio's above.

to make the "sat radio ready" radio we have, you need the antenna and box. and then you can control it right through your head unit.

what you were naming above were all receiver radios with interfaces. radios that have "sat radio ready" do not need those "interfaces". the satellite radio is controlled by your already existing head unit.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:57 PM

You're right. I was confused as to what each component was called and why you wouldn't be able to just hook up a smaller tuner to it. I wasn't sure if I could use one of the radios above as a tuner rather than buying the actual tuner.

I've looked at some of the manuals and the installation seems a bit daunting. Like i'd have to remove the entire dash and seat, etc. Is it actually this bad?

Thank you for your help.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BoxyBrown
You're right. I was confused as to what each component was called and why you wouldn't be able to just hook up a smaller tuner to it. I wasn't sure if I could use one of the radios above as a tuner rather than buying the actual tuner.

I've looked at some of the manuals and the installation seems a bit daunting. Like i'd have to remove the entire dash and seat, etc. Is it actually this bad?

Thank you for your help.

removing the center console and radio is as easy as pulling above the vents, unhooking the clock wire, and removing 4 screws that secure the radio in.

you can use one of these tuners, and listen to it through an FM channel broadcast by the tuner, or have an AUX wire run into your unit (if you have the port), but you'd still need to run the wire for the antenna and mount the satellite antenna.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need a sat tuner and a fit kit(includes antenna). Both can be found at www.trdsparks.com

I have a feeling that P920XM won't work. Installation was fairly easy on my tc but takes a while if it's your first time.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:00 PM

Sorry to dredge up an old post, as my first.

I have a 4th Gen 4runner running the T1808 stereo out of a scion with IPOD inputs. That being said I can verify the P920XM will not work as it Uses an IP-Buss connection and there is no input for this type of connection on the H/U.

I am still interested in finding out if their is a factory XM or sirius tuner for the unit. I have done a great deal of research and the TRDSparks site seems to be the only one carrying something that will work.

Can anyone confirm that the XM Satellite tuner they sell is compatible?
P/N 86180-0W032

The TRDSparks site also says this unit conflicts with the iPod interface, can anyone clarify this for me, as I do not want to lose the iPod functionality?

Thanks,
Old 04-02-2012, 02:19 PM

Bueller?