Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

37k mile upkeep?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 AM

Default 37k mile upkeep?

I got my '08 XD in Dec. '07 and have only put 37k miles on it, which apparently isn't a lot.

I did get the pre-paid maintenance, which those coupons expired Dec. '11, so now I hafta find somewhere else to do oil-changes, ect, on the car.

The last time I went to use my last coupon (35k miles in Nov), the Toyota dealership informed me that the tires needed to be changed, air filter changed, and windshield wipers replaced. What miffed me off is that they offered to do none of this. Isn't that what dealerships are known to do, sell ya more stuff? On the 30k visit, they circled that everything was tip-top shape, so how does everything break on 35k?

I got the tires replaced right before Christmas ($600), and haven't had a chance to go to an auto place to find the air filter. Target/Walmart don't carry the small size windshield wiper, so more searching there.

Mom keeps telling me to get the brakes checked. Is it time? Is the dealership similar price as any other auto-shop? In the past, I always had family recommendations on where to go for car repair, where I'm at now I have no idea where to go.

It also doesn't help that my past cars were of the '86 & '92 eras, which went the shop for oil changes and when things sounded funny or smoking ('86) or failing parts/hoses after 6 months of ownership ('92). This whole car maintenance thing is foreign to me.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brake pads MAY need to get replaced if they have never been. I dont know about the XD but my tC will show a brake light if your brakes are getting low. If not they usually last 40-50k so you could get them checked out when you get your brakes changed.

Why dont you try your local auto parts store for windshield wipers since you need to get an airfilter anyway? im sure they will have them and it takes at most 5-10 minutes to fanagle the old ones off and put the new ones on.
air filter is the same, the air box just has a few clips that can be popped open by hand.

Just for reference I have not once taken my car to a dealership for maintenance and it has over 75k miles. your car will not fall apart like your past cars did and if anything major were to happen, your warranty would still cover it. Dealers are going to overcharge for EVERYTHING. Last time i took it in, my stereo just unexplicably turned off and wouldnt turn on so $90 later they told me that nothing was wrong and it just turned back on.

So in summary, you can do the air filter and wipers yourself if you are willing to take a few minutes. Just make sure you always change your oil around 5k miles and your car should last a very long time with no problems.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your driving habits will determine how long your brake pads will last..
the fronts are easy to check yourself. The rear drums should last longer than the fronts due to the braking bias which favors the fronts..
The brake pads will squeal when they get to low.. more of a screech which is the wear indicator letting you know.
Air filters and wipers are easily changed yourself or by any local garage..
After 3 - 4 years.. you should have your brake fluid flushed. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, it absorbs water over time and can rust the brake system internally.
Switch to a good synthetic oil and change it every 10K miles or once a year..
This is what Toyota has changed for the new model years. Change it more often if you do short runs or live in dusty conditions..
Not much else to do..