Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Brake/pedal noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:27 AM

Default Brake/pedal noise

Hi everyone

I searched the forum for this topic but kept coming up with stuff about ABS. I don't think the sound I'm noticing has to do with the ABS, because this happens every time I press down the brake pedal. Even if I haven't turned the key in the ignition yet.

Anyway, just bought a new xD a few weeks ago. A week or so ago, I started hearing a slight single click whenever I push down the brake pedal. I took it in to the service department and they said nothing was wrong, but it's annoying as all get out to hear a click every time I slow down or stop.

Does anyone know what that is? Does anyone else's xD do this?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could it be something on the pedal itself? something loose or whatever in the pedal assembly itself?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u driving auto or manual??

for most auto cars there is a safety feature where u need to depress the brake pedal to shift the gear from "P" to the other working gears... normally when depress the pedal there is a click sound which disengages "something" to let u shift the gear...

if u driving manual....
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 AM

draxcaliber, I was wondering about that, too.

moaiD, I'm driving the automatic. This little click happens every time I step on the pedal, not just when I'm shifting out of P, though. When I'm slowing down at a stop sign, it clicks too... Is that the same thing? The click sounds like it's coming from the pedal area. (Sorry I'm not more specific... I'm new to this car stuff!)
Old 09-08-2008, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a manual transmission xD and my brake pedal also clicks when I depress it...It has become more annoying lately and just looked under the dash yesterday and there is some brake fluid dripping from the master cylinder...The other click for automatics will only occur if the vehicle is stopped in Park, it shouldn't click any other time, even at a stop sign as long as it is Drive...My click on a manual happens all the time.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I took the car into the dealer's svc dept. last week and some guy told me the sound was "normal" and part of a safety feature. I think he was thinking that this only happened when the car was in Park, because that's how I showed it to him.

I just called the service again and explained again (I also added that I'd spoken to several other helpful Scion owners!) so now I have an appt. to take it in again Wed. morning. I'll post an update.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:38 PM

Update: Turns out it was a funky brake light switch. They've ordered a replacement and it'll be installed tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 PM
SL Member

^i was gonna mention that. it makes sense because the switch is spring loaded.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

yea it is annoying but i do have a brake noise, when i start to press it, then i hear a like a "sshhhhh" noise doesnt seem like a normal noise and when my a/c is on i hear the compression change when i brake
Old 09-12-2008, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was wondering about that, too. Mine is more of the sound of someone stretching a wire. It's not really a click. It's hard to describe. It sounds like something with the brake pedal is too tight and is being aggravated every time I depress the pedal. It happens when in D and when parked with the car turned off. I have been thinking about taking it back to the dealer. Don't know how many other people are taking their Ds back for the issue as it seems a common one.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 AM

spinthetension, when I got the paperwork back on my repair, it mentioned something about the spring tension. I was hearing a click at first, but as it got worse I heard a slight springy metallic sound. So maybe yours is something similar.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Flippit
spinthetension, when I got the paperwork back on my repair, it mentioned something about the spring tension. I was hearing a click at first, but as it got worse I heard a slight springy metallic sound. So maybe yours is something similar.
I listened a little more carefully yesterday when I was out and about. It sounds like what you described now - a click. Mine is like 2 clicks and a spring being pulled taut. I am going to make an appointment with the dealer and see what happens.

Thanks for posting about this! Maybe Scion will take action if enough people have problems.