2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Dash vibration/rattle at 1,200 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dash vibration/rattle at 1,200 miles

Finally I found the time to have Toyota look at my dash vibration.

From my last post on this, if you experience the same problem (many do), the vibration sound is on the top of your dash, a few inches directly behind the top of your cascading dash bezel. You know it's there because you can push down on it when you are accelerating and hear the noise and it goes away.

The tech showed me that the top bezel is very simple to pull off. You just grab it from the top corners and pull. You'll notice instantly that behind the vents there is this plastic dual duct that travels down into the dash... this thing, at least in my car was really loose, I sort of jiggled it and pushed it down and back. Now my vibration is gone.... I may open it up again to see if I can put some foam on the top where it was rubbing underneath the dash.

For now an annoying problem is gone.

Cheers,
Old 10-02-2008, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so you pull off the top of the waterfall... and the vent ducts are the actual things that are rattling against the underside of the dash panel?
Old 10-02-2008, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
so you pull off the top of the waterfall... and the vent ducts are the actual things that are rattling against the underside of the dash panel?
Yes, the gauge bezel is two pieces - I pulled the top one, and yes it appears the vent duct (two vent holes, one device) is the culprit.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most people, like me, prob fear taking apart something under warranty. The gauge bezel really is easy to pull off, it just "snaps" on and off.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet, ill have to look into it after work... its driving me nuts. ive also got a rattle now coming from the trunk at about 2200 rpms, exhaust related. it could be my license plate.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just noticed your garage of cars kenlally-- wow. Very nice.

Anything in particular push you toward the xD (besides the fuel economy)?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xravexboix
Just noticed your garage of cars kenlally-- wow. Very nice.

Anything in particular push you toward the xD (besides the fuel economy)?
Thanks!

Scion Xd is the only car I ever shopped....(did not buy it on emotion).... American cars offered no equivalent,.... yet.

If you set this car up just right, with all the fashionable goodies, it really is a great ride, and super fun, and not to forget great looking..
Old 10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely agreed!

Oh, btw, I found some TSBs (technical service bulletins) in regards to the dash. Just take it into the dealer and tell them to look up the TSB set. There are a few different locations in the dash where the rattle may come from. They will insulate each area for you.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xravexboix
Definitely agreed!

Oh, btw, I found some TSBs (technical service bulletins) in regards to the dash. Just take it into the dealer and tell them to look up the TSB set. There are a few different locations in the dash where the rattle may come from. They will insulate each area for you.
Can you post the link for the bulletins? Toyota told me there was a TSB for a window post rattle, but could find none for the dash.

Which is why they showed me how to pull the console myself.

Thanks xraveboix!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but just the other day, a new rattle developed in my dash. it seems to be the same sound, only coming from the vent to the left of the steering wheel. makes the most noise when i go over rough sections of the freeway (like the older concrete areas)... havent had a chance to dig into it yet though.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my rattle is in my dash, directly above my speedometer/odometer... is that what you guys are talking about?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sodo_moj0
my rattle is in my dash, directly above my speedometer/odometer... is that what you guys are talking about?
You might think it is there.....but, push down on your dash more over to the center behind the middle console, see if it goes away temporarily.

Generally you hear it when you accelerate, or hold steady lower RPMs.

Mine is actually back now - so I plan to visit Toyota.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought my rattle was coming from above my speedo as well, but it is above/behind the center vents.

now i just have to figure out how to get to the new rattle behind the vent to the left of the wheel... hmm...
Old 11-05-2008, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought my rattle was coming from above my speedo as well, but it is above/behind the center vents.

now i just have to figure out how to get to the new rattle behind the vent to the left of the wheel... hmm...
We need to find a TSB on this....
Old 11-29-2008, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just a little update on my dash rattle... the one behind the center vents seems to have completely stopped, but now the new rattle behind the drivers side, round vent seems to make noise constantly depending on how rough the pavement is. and i dont see an easy way to get to it without taking the entire dashboard off. it does go away if i put pressure on the dashboard just above the vent, but other than that, its always there if the pavements not like glass.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just a little update on my dash rattle... the one behind the center vents seems to have completely stopped, but now the new rattle behind the drivers side, round vent seems to make noise constantly depending on how rough the pavement is. and i dont see an easy way to get to it without taking the entire dashboard off. it does go away if i put pressure on the dashboard just above the vent, but other than that, its always there if the pavements not like glass.
I have both of them... the one over the center and the one over the left dash. When I go in for my first oil change, I'm going to give them a bit of hell about it and see if they can/will fix it.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

phew, glad to see im not the only one with this new rattle on the left side. the center one would be easy to fix, but the drivers side one is much more difficult to get to.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:37 PM

Default Dashboard Rattle

I also had dashbopard rattle at 1200 miles on my Xd. The dealer added foam. The rattle came back and the dealer added more padding. Now the rattles occurs @ 70 mph+ in the dash center. Very annoying for a new car but will try now to fix myself. Thx
Old 02-23-2010, 03:23 AM

Same problem, thank you. Once the gf gets home Iam try that fix.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed a really annoying rattle the other day when driving at low RPMs (less than 20 MPH). It doesn't happen often, but it was really freakin' annoying. It sounds like it's coming from my steering column or the speedo. I guess I'll be looking into this, too.

Ugh. I love the interior b/c it's so easy to keep clean...but enough of the rattles/creaks/vibrations. I have one coming from my trunk. I think it might be the antenna, since my Corolla had the same thing. I haven't a clue how to go about isolating/fixing that.