Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

?Did you wait til 5000 mi for first oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did my first one at about 500 miles. That's an old habit I've been nursing for a long time. After that, it's been every 5000 for me with quality oil (mostly Pennzoil Platinum) and an upsized OEM Toyota filter.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:16 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default DAMN!

That is EXTREME overkill.

Can't hurt, so why not!

Originally Posted by HitIt
Personally, I think you should change the oil after the first 500 miles or so. Most of the metal shavings, etc. will have been run through the filter by then and the contaminates from the new motor build will be in the oil. I just got an xD and I will be changing at 500, 3000, then 5-6000 mile intervals running a good quality full synthetic.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:18 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Right, but...

That stuff hits the filter during the first 100 miles. Washing out the oil at 500 miles has NO measurable benefit.

Originally Posted by tmrepp
It certainly does still apply. When you change yours, tear the ends off the cartridge and look at all the metal, paint, etc. that's in between the ribs of the filter.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:20 PM

PHATBLK, yes, the stuff you can see is mostly in the filter in the first hundred miles or so. When a motor is breaking in it is doing two things. 1) Heat cycling the parts and 2) All of the metal surfaces are seating. As all of us that pay attention to gas mileage and performance know, mileage goes up and performance increases for about the first 5000 miles. This process is definitely heavily weighted to the first few hundred miles but does continue for a while.

So why, exactly, does this happen? It is the metallic parts seating against each other and reducing the friction inside the motor. During this process, microscopic metallic particles become suspended in the oil. The filter gets the larger ones but the really tiny (single digit micron sized) particles pass through. This can be verified in a lab with an oil particulate analysis test.

So do you want that stuff in your motor until the first 5000 miles are up? I dont. Will it have a "measurable benefit"? I dont care To each his own though. If I was pinching pennies, I would probably wait. I am fortunate enough to be able to spend the extra cash. Just a few less lattes
Old 07-10-2008, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by bmph8ter
and an upsized OEM Toyota filter.
You drive an xB right? Does that have a canister filter? The xD has a cartridge, so we are stuck at the factory size.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:46 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default I hear you...

But I am comfortable with following manufacturers guidelines on this one.

Maybe I will change the oil at 3000 miles (just to be a little edgy).

Originally Posted by HitIt
PHATBLK, yes, the stuff you can see is mostly in the filter in the first hundred miles or so. When a motor is breaking in it is doing two things. 1) Heat cycling the parts and 2) All of the metal surfaces are seating. As all of us that pay attention to gas mileage and performance know, mileage goes up and performance increases for about the first 5000 miles. This process is definitely heavily weighted to the first few hundred miles but does continue for a while.

So why, exactly, does this happen? It is the metallic parts seating against each other and reducing the friction inside the motor. During this process, microscopic metallic particles become suspended in the oil. The filter gets the larger ones but the really tiny (single digit micron sized) particles pass through. This can be verified in a lab with an oil particulate analysis test.

So do you want that stuff in your motor until the first 5000 miles are up? I dont. Will it have a "measurable benefit"? I dont care To each his own though. If I was pinching pennies, I would probably wait. I am fortunate enough to be able to spend the extra cash. Just a few less lattes