Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Edmunds.com pits the xD agasint the Fit

And the xD wins!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=121117

Although I do note the Scion has their own "Magic" seat. Honda's folds and stows magically, but Scion's reclines and slides.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Fit was a car that I was considering to get instead of my tC, and I still really like them. I know that they aren't really comparable cars, ones a definite sports/cruiser and the fit is an econo-box with a hip look.

Did Edmunds say expect the xD to start around $16,368? I wasn't expecting to be that high... major disappointment.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think the xD will start that high. It better not, unless Toyota wants to bring over a loaded Aygo as the xE priced at the xA's price point.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:20 PM

Actually, the above article said "expect the price of the xD to begin at about $15,080". However, in their First Drive article, they say "Unlike the xA, the 2008 xD will be tough to overlook. Particularly if, as expected, Scion keeps the car's base price down near $14,000 when it goes on sale this August."

I also saw $13,5k estimated somewhere. Who knows what they'll end up on. If it DOES come in at $15k, they can kiss my white **** goodbye (I'll be over on the Toyota side of the store buying a decked out Yaris!).

~SM
Old 06-12-2007, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did estimate that at one time I hoped it would start near $13.5k, but there's a whole story behind that (I also though the xB would be priced near $19-20k to compete with the Rav4 [same engine], but that didn't happen so I had hopes that the xD would also be priced low).

If it does start at $15k, I think they will be making a big mistake and they'll be leaving a large market struggling to purchase this car. And if it did, I'm not sure a Yaris would be good enough, imo. I've been reading some poor reviews of that vehicle, have you seen how poorly the brakes performed?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That test vehicle came equipped with VSC.....about $650 worth of electronic wizardry.

And they were only guessing at the price. Pure guessing.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

http://www.dieselstation.com/news/au...-scion-xd.html

here's another site to claim a price of $15,080 . . . who knows?
Old 06-12-2007, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Woot woot, go xD!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I liked the side-by-side pictures... Really gives you a feel of how the xD will look on the road.

I think, in these pics, the Fit looks better. The bodykit, foglights and wing (all standard equipment) give it the advantage. Also, in the interior shots, that "single" gauge pod behind the steeing wheel looks kinda funky compared to the more traditional Honda gauges.

The MPG numbers for the xD really surprised me! I thought the new 1.8 would get the same or better numbers than a Corolla. Closer to 40mpg hwy... Guess not. At least it's on par with the car it replaced.

As for price, the xD should match the Fit Sport in price. Around $15,300 for the stick. $16,300 for the auto. That was Scion's target IMO. Sadly, I'm sure (like the new xB) you'll find loaded xDs with Navi on dealer lots priced all the way up to $19k. Pure price!

The xA started around $13,500. The Base Fit starts around $14k. You'll never get an xD for that.

-THE DON
Old 06-12-2007, 05:57 PM

Remember - the 2008 model year uses the new, more realistic, EPA calculations for gas mileage.

Under the new numbers the 2007 Corolla would get 26 city/35 automatic - so its only a couple miles per gallon difference.

As to the price - I hope the xD comes out at least 1000 less expensive than the Fit Sport. You can negotiate the price somewhat on the Honda, you cannot on the Scion.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When my girlfriend needed a new car, we looked first at the fit. Even though they say the Fits price is under 15,000, dealers out here are charging some king of "demand" fee, (Lack of availability?), and jacking the price close to 17 grand. I asked straight up. Can I get one of these for around 15? No!! Went to toyota....13,300 or so, pure pricing, xa out the door.....she loves it.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tlewy
Even though they say the Fits price is under 15,000, dealers out here are charging some king of "demand" fee, (Lack of availability?), and jacking the price close to 17 grand. I asked straight up. Can I get one of these for around 15? No!!
My local dealer was doing the same thing for the first six weeks that the Fit came out, they made $3k profit on each car. They weren't able to keep any of them on the lot even with that price, I couldn't even test drive it without a $500 deposit. So, I didn't.

Now they say they aren't allowed to mark up the vehicles, and the most that each salesperson makes off of one is only $100, no matter what. Of course, that's what they say, but I don't know if that holds true. What is true is that the last time I saw one, it wasn't marked up crazy at all.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GarmaZed
My local dealer was doing the same thing for the first six weeks that the Fit came out, they made $3k profit on each car. They weren't able to keep any of them on the lot even with that price, I couldn't even test drive it without a $500 deposit. So, I didn't.
Amazing, isn't it? It's a $15,000 car -- not a freakin' Ferrari. I'm glad you took your business elsewhere.

I am very excited to see the xD in person. I like the Yaris' looks better, but we'd like a four-door hatch in the future and the xB2 is out of the question.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My girl bought her 07 Honda Fit the day before it actually came out (4-19) and the dealer "tried" to charge a $3k mark-up, but it didn't happen. She still got it under MSRP.

The price dealers charge depends somewhat on demand, but if you can successfully negotiate with a salesman who is desperate for commission, you can get the price you want.

As for "pure price"... Sure, they can't mark it up, but they also refuse to budge on the price of added options, which are ridiculously overpriced. At my local dealer they don't have one tC under $20k. They're all loaded with useless options. When the new xBs came out I was getting my car serviced and checked 'em out. They almost all had rims or Navi or both, and none was cheaper than $19k.

I kinda wish Scion didn't have pure price, because I have faith in my ability to negotiate a better deal.

-THE DON
Old 06-13-2007, 05:20 PM

!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 05:21 PM

If it does start at $15k, I think they will be making a big mistake and they'll be leaving a large market struggling to purchase this car. And if it did, I'm not sure a Yaris would be good enough, imo. I've been reading some poor reviews of that vehicle, have you seen how poorly the brakes performed?
I dunno about being a mistake, but it's too rich for my blood. They'll still probably sell, and probably better than the Fit. The Fit, for all its Honda glamour and sporty packaging, still looks like a midget minivan.

Fit = Fugly.

I'd still probably consider it, but knowing I could get a Yaris totally decked for $14k would probably edge me over to the Toyota brand instead. I'm a fan of the Yaris bodywork anyway, and still undecided on that xD body.

On the Yaris topic, I've been a member over at yarisworld.com for a year now, and haven't noticed any complaints at all other than thin paint on the hood and the need for more HP (which is probably the most common complaint about any car under 200 hp... we're insatiable! ).

~SM
Old 06-13-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Swordsman
I dunno about being a mistake, but it's too rich for my blood.

On the Yaris topic, I've been a member over at yarisworld.com for a year now, and haven't noticed any complaints at all other than thin paint on the hood and the need for more HP (which is probably the most common complaint about any car under 200 hp... we're insatiable! ).

~SM
Here's some test info from April's 2007 Car Report:

In the Dry Braking test (from 60mph) it recieved the 'worst' award, tied with the Nissan Versa (no ABS). It stopped in 163 feet.

In addition to that, I (this is just me, probably others too) really don't like the lack of a tachometer in the dash. On the hatchback it is entirely unavailable no matter what packages or options you add onto it (it comes with the 'sport package' on the sedan I believe). I know this seems like a small thing, but even my older '99 Saturn SL came with one, and that thing didn't even have power steering!

But that's just my argument. Take what you want with it.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:52 PM
SHU
SL Member

Default i

When you consider that the fit has not had any significant redesign in 6 years, its a pretty sweet car. The design and lack of hp are not acceptable to me but its still not a bad car when you consider its 6 years old. The fit and the mazda 3 will come out with redesigns next year. It should be a hot market for little cars.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by THE_DON

I kinda wish Scion didn't have pure price, because I have faith in my ability to negotiate a better deal.

-THE DON
but aren't you glad you don't have to?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:15 AM
SHU
SL Member

Default k

In the end its not really pure pricing due to the dealer mark up. aka doc fee.
I wish we could make a deal for the car. I'd love to walk into a dealer on the last day of the month during a week with horrible rain storms every day in a town with several scion dealerships and sit in the box. I'd play them off each other all day long until I got what I wanted. I use to sell cars so I know how dealers will do anything to screw the each other over. It was always a blood bath at the end of the month. I'm gald I left sales.

Quick Reply: Edmunds.com pits the xD agasint the Fit