Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Electrical Error and Repercussions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:05 PM

Default Electrical Error and Repercussions

This is my first post, so please forgive me if it's in the wrong spot. I'm desperate for some help though!

The water pump went out on my 2008 Scion xD. It didn't show any of the usual signs though. It just made a horrible noise. We purchased the part at our local O'Reilly's.

We made one critical mistake when we started removing the alternator to get to the bad water pump....can you guess? Yup...we didn't disconnect the battery. We had some sparks fly! Immediately we disconnected the battery and went about replacing the water pump. It went crazy smooth! It took about 2 hours total. We had a feeling that was all too good to be true.

We started the car...no more sound...running smooth. I go to put it into reverse to back out of the garage...stuck. Then we notice no brake lights, no power steering, no radio, no power windows, no brakes, no power locks, no back hatch opening, no inside heat/AC fan, no turn signals, no seatbelt reminder sound, no wipers front or back, no mirror adjustment, (so on and so on) and ALL of the warning lights are on!

We have done some research and read that it could be a couple of things. Fuses....checked all about 4 times now! We read about the relay IG1 and have replaced it. This did nothing to solve our problems. In fact, we pulled the IG1 relay out and started the car, it seemed to make no difference at all. We found this to be strange.

We then read what we thought was the holy grail of answers, the fusible link. We replaced that and fixed a lot of the issues. Most everything is working now; EXCEPT the electric power steering, the power windows, and ALL the warning lights are still on. We don't know if ABS is working or not, but we have brakes again.

Also, there is no spark when we disconnect or connect the battery. We took both the alternator and the battery in to our local O'Reilly's and they tested fine.

By ALL warning lights I mean tire pressure, ABS, brake light, and electric power steering warning light.

THANK YOU FOR READING ALL OF THIS....

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS AS TO WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THE PERSISTENT ISSUES??????

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We're at our wits end!

Last edited by Specialkrh; 06-20-2014 at 04:30 PM.