Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]
View Poll Results: Will the xA in 2006 resemble the xA in 2009?
Almost entirely
8.33%
Some small modest changes
4.17%
Some major fundamental differences
33.33%
Ripped from another Toyota model
25.00%
No longer in the Scion lineup
16.67%
I think there's a hair in my soup
12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

The Future of the xA

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member

Default The Future of the xA

So I've been browsing extensively trying to find new and pertinent information on the upcoming xA. Most of us are wondering what it will look like... will it be around... what sort of changes will be made.. those sorts of things. The future, I'm afraid, looks rather bleak..

The most alarming bit, for me anyway, is the complete lack of a release series. Toyota HAS sort of made an unofficial promise in that they launched a "Release the Two" website. Why else would they basically demand themselves to release another xA RS if they had no plans of doing it? The fact that it STILL isn't out after a good six months of RS action between the xB and tC is a bad sign for us all. I, personally, was waiting for news on it before purchasing mine but gave up after nothing had been decided by the middle of March (am now a proud owner of an '06 xA).

Of course, most of us aren't exactly looking forward to it even when it is released, given the catastrophic letdown of the 2.0. Not because of the color, not because of the value for money (which was still pretty good). But because it didn't have the absolute best feature of the first RS. The sunroof.

When you also consider that all of the optional dealer accessories on the xA are ALSO optional accessories on the xB, you begin to see where the xA is headed.

And the rumors. With Toyota introducing the Yaris its unlikely they'd clutter their own model lineup with a similar car, though its worth pointing out that the only model option the Yaris lacks is a four-door hatchback. The current hatch has only two doors as does one of the coupe styles, the other having four doors... so the good news is that the xA fills in the gap there. But the wildest rumors that have so far multiple points of origin are on the engine and the styling. With the xB rumored to have an absolutely colossal upgrade to a 2.4 liter engine (same Camry engine as the tC) and the xA up to a 1.8 (used in the Matrix). With the rumored 4wd (that's NOT AWD for the uneducated ones - though that IS an option on the Ractis) that will produce a fair amount of grip (if not a fair amount of understeer as well).

But the most difficult change will most likely be in the styling. We are hearing from a limited number of sources that it will resemble the Ractis, which sort of resembles the lovechild of an xA and an xB - that is, a balanced blend of both but since they're related, it still ends up looking like your cousin's uncle's stepchild's... oh, you get it). We understand the need for change in the xA. It has limited rear passenger space and a small cargo, but most xA owners agree that it isn't a call to a drastic change. But the problem isn't in xA owners, is it? While the xA's percentages are up, it pales in comparison to the xB and is a complete embarassment when stood up to the tC (the tC, by the way, outsells the xA and the xB COMBINED two-to-one!).

So what was the purpose of this horribly long post anyway? Well, it was to discuss, hope for, influence, speculate, complain, and wonder at the future of the car we all love (or hate if you're one of those people that browse message boards to get under someone's skin).

More specifically, its too sound off on one of the following issues:

The engine upgrade
The styling changes
The release series
The future of the model itself

If you took the time to read all this you were probably entertained or you were probably really bored. In either case, I hope you have something to respond with.

Damn that was a long first post.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member

Small oversight regarding the Yaris - there IS a four-door hatch (5-door) model but it is not yet an option in the US.

Muy interesante.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm just wondering, where is evrybody getting all this "no RS xA" info from?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh crap, did I vote right? I voted almost entirely as in almost etirely different...
Old 07-20-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to quote myself from the RS3.0 Color discussion topic:

Well unfortunately I forsee a bleak immediate future. The xA as it is will cease to be made very soon and two new Scion models will be coming out. I fear the xA will be totally left in the dust for some time. In the farther future we may gain some respect as a 1st gen Scion and a rare one at that. I'm still fighting, futilely at that, for a lost cause that I had been since I've joined these forums (in 2004 I believe). The xA gets no respect, even the show worthy ones are looked over and seldom do you see a trophy class for an xA. I guess the one thing that holds true and is the best thing for us no matter what anyone else does or says: We love our xA's and are proud of it.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member

Agh, please don't leave the xA behind! I'm just waiting to hear some concrete news on whether or not there actually will be a 2008 model. If not, I better haul **** and get an '06!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There will be an 08 model in somewhere around April-May in 2007. Not sure if it'll be called an xA anymore though.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 2008 will be a completely new model. It won't be the ractis or aygo or any other JDM hatchback.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here you go,

http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.co...-scion-xa.html
Old 07-25-2006, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member

Those pictures were already in the other thread and have been deemed photoshops already.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh I see... I am sorry for my stupidity.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member

It's cool, not everyone has the time to read all the other threads.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:11 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres a hair in my soup
Old 07-29-2006, 06:42 AM
5 Year Member

I agree the sunroof was the best thing about the first release series. However, its easy enough to get a nice OEM style sunroof from an OEM supplier like webasto. The xA fills a gap the yaris doesnt, and has everything most people want, standard. To get the $10,500 yaris hatch spec'ed out with 15" wheels, full power, mp3 stereo, etc would easily add a few grand to the price. A local dealer had a loaded hatch with aftermarket "katzkin" leather and fancy wheels for $18k!

Theres going to be another xA, even if its a rebadged Ractis. Which wouldnt be bad, IMO. Id buy one!

As for the tC outselling both "x" models combined? Great! Its an excellent deal for a sports car, which was something i wasnt in the market for. One of the reasons i got an xA is because it ISNT popular. Bulletproof drivetrain, low maintenance, discreet appearance... like the yaris and echo's cool as hell cousin!

I sold my 1998 civic CX hatch and got an '06 IIP xA and couldnt be happier. its nice having 4 windows that roll down at the touch of a button, and a stereo that can play a disc with 120+ songs on it. I waited for the honda fit, but its not worth it. the yaris isnt worth it either.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The next xA won't be a rebadged ractis and the tC isn't a sports car.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lonestar
The next xA won't be a rebadged ractis and the tC isn't a sports car.

ditto
Old 07-29-2006, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might could say the Tc is a sporty coupe, basically like the Celica used to be.

As for the Ractis being the next generation xA, lots of people are saying it is not. If it were, then I'd never consider buying it because I think it is ugly.

I really wish some pictures would come out about the next generation xA. I'm amazed there isn't anything available yet. There are normally spy photos available. I guess the xA replacement isn't a big enough deal.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kdepew
You might could say the Tc is a sporty coupe, basically like the Celica used to be.

As for the Ractis being the next generation xA, lots of people are saying it is not. If it were, then I'd never consider buying it because I think it is ugly.

I really wish some pictures would come out about the next generation xA. I'm amazed there isn't anything available yet. There are normally spy photos available. I guess the xA replacement isn't a big enough deal.
I guess to Scion it isn't. But to me and the rest of the xA community who are anctiously been waiting for ANY pics of the 08, or even the RS which is supposed to come out in August, which is only a couple days away, it IS a big deal...Too bad Scion dosn't care.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the xA replacement will be a big deal and Scion is doing a good job keeping it under wraps. That's not good for the people wanting to buy one, though. From what I've heard about the replacements I think the new xA will be a bigger hit than the xB this time around.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I sure hope so, they really let us down supporting the xA this time around. I mention I own a Scion and everyone has trouble guessing which one it is. "oh the box, those things have a lot of room" No I dont drive the xB "then you have the cool 2-door sport model?" No, I'm not a girl or some young punk with a fast and furious attitude. I drive this car. "holy @%@# that thing looks nice, how fast does it go?" *Shakes head and walks away...* So sad.

Quick Reply: The Future of the xA