Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Hatch Weather Stripping Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 PM

Default Hatch Weather Stripping Question

I purchased my 2013 Scion xD last week and have been extremely happy with it for the most part. The dealer I purchased from was a little shady (despite being one of the largest Toyota / Scion dealers in Florida), and delivered the vehicle with some damage here and there. I was looking through every inch of the car to document anything that seemed out of the ordinary.

This may be completely normal for all I know, but I do not have another xD to compare it to. The picture below is of the interior weather stripping that surrounds the complete hatch area on the rear of the car. It looks as if a large portion (middle) of the stripping is cut off. It raises back up on the driver-side although it is not in the picture. Can anyone confirm that this is by design and normal for the xD?

Any help is appreciated! Oh, and I love this site!

Old 03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
XDC
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a 2012 XD, and my weather stripping is fully intact. No cut-outs any where. From what I can see in the picture, that cut-out on yours looks rough around the edges, not from the factory at all. I see you said you have a 2013 model, but I have to ask anyways; did you buy it brand new? Did it have under ten miles on it when you took delivery of it? Dealers often let their managers take cars home to try out, or they sometimes let customers take 24 hour test drives. This might explain the "damage here and there" you mentioned. I am just trying to trouble shoot such bizzare damage on a brand new car.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Thanks for replying XDC. Yes, it is a brand new 2013 Scion xD I purchased from Scion of Orlando. I'm at work and don;t have all the paperwork, but I think I remember the car having under 25 miles on it when I took it for a test drive. This was a little over a week ago.

I purchased the car a little late in the evening, so the damage on the car wasn't really noticeable until the very next morning when the sun came up. There was a large area of the bumper (rear driver-side) that was scratched as if someone took the rough edge of a cinder block and slid it across the bumper. There was also a dime-sized dent on the passenger-side rear door panel, among others things.

I brought the car back that afternoon and complained. The dealership told me to come back a few days later to drop the car off for repairs. They had the car for nearly five full days. The completely repainted the bumper which shows no trace of the damage anymore. They "removed" the dent using a paintless dent removal system, although the job was less than perfect, and light / reflections still show up distorted where the dent was.

I didn't notice the rear door weather strip oddity until yesterday afternoon when I went to grab my backpack from the rear. I usually keep my backpack on the front passenger-side seat, and have rarely even opened the back hatch for the time I have had the car. Normally, I would probably not pay it any mind, but like you said, it looks a little rough, and there doesn't seem to be any reason for the cutout that I can see.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM
XDC
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by otherbeing
Normally, I would probably not pay it any mind, but like you said, it looks a little rough, and there doesn't seem to be any reason for the cutout that I can see.
The weather stripping should be replaced by the dealer as soon as possible. It would seem to me that the cut-out would allow water to drip into the hatch area. It cannot seal out the elements like it is supposed to.That could be messy, and smelly (moldy) over time. I wonder if a dealer employee used the car to fit a large item in it, and the stripping got torn, so they just trimmed off the tear to hide it...but who knows, just have them replace it.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
SCION CORP

Scion would definitely recommend taking your vehicle to the dealer for diagnosis on the weather stripping. The dealer would be able to diagnose, tell you if it is normal, and replace as necessary. ^AP
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM

XDC, that is what I was thinking as well. It doesn't seem as if the weather stripping would do a good job at keeping out the elements, which is why I found it odd that it should come that way brand new.

Albert, I am going to be dropping by the dealership today after work mainly because the job (Paintless Dent Removal) they did to fix the dent on the passenger-side rear door panel was less than perfect. I see light and reflection distortions at the point where the dent was.

I'll have a look at another 2013 xD while I'm there to see if the rear door weather stripping looks any different than the odd stripping on mine. Unfortunately, I don't have much faith in simply asking someone from the dealership. I'm not quite confident that I would get an honest answer.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
SCION CORP

Originally Posted by otherbeing
XDC, that is what I was thinking as well. It doesn't seem as if the weather stripping would do a good job at keeping out the elements, which is why I found it odd that it should come that way brand new.

Albert, I am going to be dropping by the dealership today after work mainly because the job (Paintless Dent Removal) they did to fix the dent on the passenger-side rear door panel was less than perfect. I see light and reflection distortions at the point where the dent was.

I'll have a look at another 2013 xD while I'm there to see if the rear door weather stripping looks any different than the odd stripping on mine. Unfortunately, I don't have much faith in simply asking someone from the dealership. I'm not quite confident that I would get an honest answer.
otherbeing: Understood. If you do notice it is flawed on another xD inform the dealer and get it taken care of. ^AP
Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 PM

I dropped by the dealership yesterday after work to speak with them concerning the shoddy dent removal work and the rear door weather stripping oddity. Unfortunately, I was told that the dealership did not have anymore 2013 Scion xD's in stock at that time, so there was no way for me to have a look at another to compare the rear door weather stripping.

While I found it hard to believe that they had zero xD's in stock, the size of the lot resembles that of Sea World, and I wasn't about to take an hour long stroll about looking for another xD. However, I was told that the weather stripping on my xD was completely normal, despite having another member with a 2012 Scion xD telling me that his weather stripping doesn't have the same odd cutout that mine does. So, this topic remains unresolved. I'll need to see a picture of the rear door weather stripping from a 2013 model to be sure.

Luckily, the dealership agreed that the dent removal job was somewhat shoddy, and has made an appointment for me to drop the car off on Monday to have additional work done in order to remove any trace of the dent that was on the passenger-side rear door. Hopefully, they'll do a decent job this time around.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 2012 is the exact same as a 2013. also, i just pulled up scion of orlando's inventory, and it shows they have a 2013 xD on site. 2 of them actualy

http://www.scionoforlando.com/new-in....htm?start=16&
Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Barfalamu
the 2012 is the exact same as a 2013. also, i just pulled up scion of orlando's inventory, and it shows they have a 2013 xD on site. 2 of them actualy

http://www.scionoforlando.com/new-in....htm?start=16&
Interesting, yet not surprising. I should have checked the site on my phone while I was there. Like I said, I don't have very much confidence in the honesty of the salespeople at that dealership.

I might drop by later this week and hunt one of those xD's down to have a look for myself. That or when I drop my car off on Monday. Thanks for the heads-up, Barfalamu.