Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Hello from a thrilled new xD owner!!! (RS 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:38 PM

Thanks Khans!!!! I'll be sure to stick around... I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. You guys have all sorts of great ideas. (I love your decals!!!)

Uskrewed - pics for you... it's a teeny bit distorted because I was using my wide angle...

Cupholder. (I'll be honest, I might put a closed bottle or can in it, but I'm not too keen on putting an open beverage in it whilst driving.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:43 PM

I just put a deposit on a wasabi xD 5M stick. Former Toyota Corolla wagon that died at 280k miles. Deal is not a sure thing yet. Was there a service bulletin mentioned for the 2ZR-FE engine? Corollas with the same engine were burning excessive oil until T-SB-0145-08 was applied to the ECM. My dealer has horrible sales and service, so I am also looking for a better service dealer. They had the car on the lot, and I bought it despite their old school sales guy, who has been unable to answer a single question about the xD thus far.

I paid sticker, as the price was lower than invoice of similar cars on my list. We always paid below invoice on Hondas and Toyotas, but invoice was only about $800 lower on this particular car, and the $1270 upgrade feels like a giveaway.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Oh, the reason I mention the Toyota Corolla wagon, is this scion has almost the same engine, BUT made of Aluminum vs. Cast Iron. I hope Aluminum engines have gotten better since the Chevy Vega, which was only good for about 70,000 miles?
Old 08-08-2009, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem with the early Vega's was that it was a completely aluminum engine. Including the cylinder walls. It was the first of it kind, and I remember it well.

There is nothing wrong with an aluminum block engine, in fact, it's lighter weight and cheaper manufacturing costs make it superior to cast iron. The problem comes from the cylinder liners. Or in the Vega's case, the lack of liners.

Those pistons going up and down millions of times wore out the sleeveless aluminum Vega engine in no time. It was a great car in its time, but the engine problems killed it.

Guess what. Even BMW suffered from this problem. It was slightly different though. They used a Nikasil lining that failed too early.

Also the oil burning issue you are talking about was fixed with the 09's, I think.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:03 AM

Dave, good answer sparked my memory. Yes my Vega was AL block and a cast iron head. As the 2ZR-FE also has an AL head, I hope the valve guides and other head wear areas are also steel lined?

I thought the TSB-0145-08 was specific to the 2ZR-FE 2009 model Corolla, as it was created in Aug. 2008 after the 2009 models came out, but I could be wrong? I was first looking into another Corolla. The dealer was going to re-flash the ECM if I went with the Corolla, to make sure the oil consumption issue was addressed, but again from a salesman flapping lips, not a tech.

Interestingly, this motor has the same warranty my Vega had, 5yr/60k. I had to bore & hone my Vega at 70K, it was losing a quart of oil every 4 days with blue smoke. This was the first OHC engine I ever saw open, and it was so light 2 of us pulled it by hand to put it on the bench. If I had a brain, I would have overbored it to make room for sleeves which must have been available in 1978. I tried honing it first, but it was obvious that would never take out the deep scratches. The local tech school bored it out for a $100 donation (lot of money then - the new Vega was $1900 I think), and returned it in running condition. I sold it for $200 before it went again.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Awesome!
I love that color!!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OnScionAlone
Dave, good answer sparked my memory. Yes my Vega was AL block and a cast iron head. As the 2ZR-FE also has an AL head, I hope the valve guides and other head wear areas are also steel lined?

I thought the TSB-0145-08 was specific to the 2ZR-FE 2009 model Corolla, as it was created in Aug. 2008 after the 2009 models came out, but I could be wrong? I was first looking into another Corolla. The dealer was going to re-flash the ECM if I went with the Corolla, to make sure the oil consumption issue was addressed, but again from a salesman flapping lips, not a tech.

Interestingly, this motor has the same warranty my Vega had, 5yr/60k. I had to bore & hone my Vega at 70K, it was losing a quart of oil every 4 days with blue smoke. This was the first OHC engine I ever saw open, and it was so light 2 of us pulled it by hand to put it on the bench. If I had a brain, I would have overbored it to make room for sleeves which must have been available in 1978. I tried honing it first, but it was obvious that would never take out the deep scratches. The local tech school bored it out for a $100 donation (lot of money then - the new Vega was $1900 I think), and returned it in running condition. I sold it for $200 before it went again.
A lot of people did what you did to their Vegas, that's why you do not see any classic Vega's running around these days. They are all in the junk yard!! But at least it was only engine problems. Remember the other car of that era, the Pinto? It had a big problem too. And most of the people that owned them are burnt to a crisp !!!

Don't worry about that Toyota 1.8. It has to be one of the finest engines made. Honda makes some great engines too, but the Toy 1.8 has one thing that almost all Honda's do not. A timing chain, instead of a belt.

I bet the 1.8 is good for at least 250K and more.

I think, I repeat think, the TSB also applied to the early xD as it has the same engine as the Corolla. The reflash should have been done at the factory for all '09's and later.

Search for the oil burning issue as I think there is more info to be had.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:19 AM
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

OP: I am right there with you. I picked up my 2.0 yesterday. They dealer I got it from had to buy it from another dealer because i wanted a manual lol. Mine has the spoiler and the floor mats and cargo mat. I had researched about 15 different cars and actually showed up at the dealer to look at a yaris again. they had a 2.0 automatic on the lot.. i fell in love. all that research... right out the window lol.

I love it. I previously owned an xB RS 2.0. I had to sell it when times got tough. this thing is fantastic
Old 08-09-2009, 06:35 PM

Oooooooh! I like the spoiler....

I knew this car was destined to be mine when I test drove a red automatic but commented that I couldn't really tell how it drove since I wanted a stick. They were hiding this one in back and didn't think I'd be interested BECAUSE it was a manual. (Why did they assume I wanted manual?! I've never driven automatic since I was 16. )

It was fate. So glad you were able to get yours from another dealer!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by wasabixd89
OP: I am right there with you. I picked up my 2.0 yesterday. They dealer I got it from had to buy it from another dealer because i wanted a manual lol. Mine has the spoiler and the floor mats and cargo mat. I had researched about 15 different cars and actually showed up at the dealer to look at a yaris again. they had a 2.0 automatic on the lot.. i fell in love. all that research... right out the window lol.

I love it. I previously owned an xB RS 2.0. I had to sell it when times got tough. this thing is fantastic
Congrats...I too had a xB RS 2 but sold it and now I have the xD RS 1...I love the xD...
Old 08-10-2009, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm green with envy
Old 08-10-2009, 10:42 PM
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea... it's addicting.. when i went to the first Toyota dealer the salesman told me about how bad the xD sucked in his opinion so I didn't test drive it. I never considered it when i researched either. When i saw the green one i had to test drive it. i want to go back and smack the salesman at that first dealer. he lost a sale
Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 AM

Nice... Another rs 2.0 owner. I got mine last Sunday. It had 14 miles on it before I test drove it. Drove it off the lot with 19 miles. I previously had a 97 honda accord with over 250k miles on it. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna put just as many on this car.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:04 PM

You guys are driving me insane! I'm expecting my "Little Wasabi"2.0 and day,and I can't wait! It was supposed to be at the dealer days ago!! I want my XD!!!!
By the way, I love reading about its relatives!!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice, I wish Scion would come out with some sort of white RS xD with maybe a pearl tint coat. I would buy one in a second.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:37 AM

Talking

I just got my Wasabi XD two days ago. I love everything about it. She's my first new car ever.
I'd looked at XDs before, and had decided that if I were to ever get one, I'd get black. But, when I went on to the lot this past weekend, and saw the Electric Wasabi, I knew that was the color I had to have. Now I can't imagine being happy with it in any other color.

My brother has had a TC for about three years, I'm so happy to finally be a part of the Scion family.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:41 AM

Question

Oh, and does anyone know how to turn off the beeps that the radio makes whenever you touch a button? It's making me crazy. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:04 AM

I just turned down the volume in the settings panel somewhere...

OK, so who has the Electric Wasabi at Northeastern University? Friend of mine just texted me a pic of one asking if it was my doppleganger.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 AM

Talking

Thanks. I'd found that option and turned them down, I just wasn't sure if that was all you could do, or if I had somehow missed the big "Turn these freaking beeps off" button.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by MidoriXD
Thanks. I'd found that option and turned them down, I just wasn't sure if that was all you could do, or if I had somehow missed the big "Turn these freaking beeps off" button.
If you find that one, let me know!

Quick Reply: Hello from a thrilled new xD owner!!! (RS 2.0)