Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Help a lady out??

Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 PM

Unhappy Help a lady out??

OOPS!! Totally realized I posted in xD not Xb....gah...

Ok so, I know nothing about cars. I have a 2006 scion xb, close to 90k miles on it.
Today it decided it won't start on me! Horray right? Friends I've asked all say most likely battery. My battery is only two years old though! Is it common for them to be replaced as soon as two years?
Two years ago when my battery died it wouldn't start and it made a clicking noise similar to the blinker I guess, and it was pretty loud..new battery fixed it.

This time its a little different. I actually found this youtube video (posted below) which is exactly what its doing. My overhead lights turn on, radio does not. And the unlock/lock button doesn't work so I have to go around and push all the locks down myself, and then insert the key in the drivers door to unlock.

This is what its doing

Lights turn on, and then when I flip it over, they dim and get all wacky like that? more of a hum to me than a click like last time? Please someone help!! even if its the battery..what the heck do it do to fix it! ahahah.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

bring your battery to either auto zone or oreilys, they will test the battery for free. if your lights go dim and it hums, it sounds more like your alternator might be going out. try getting a jump for your car, if it turns over but dies shortly after, alternator is dead. it it still wont turn over during a jump, you starter might be shot. but are under $200 for the part after a core deposit, and local shops or good friends can do it in an afternoon.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Test your starter , dawizz711s car did this to him when we were in the mountains and it was his starter... Usually if its your alternator you get more of a warning before it goes out. First though test your battery but my guess is if your stereo is turning on its not the battery. Then have the starter tested, you can remove it and take it to any auto parts store and they should test it for free as well
Old 09-16-2013, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ever figure out your problem?