Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Modding while making payments

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Modding while making payments

Just wondering: how many of you haven't paid off the XD yet and are doing light to extreme modding?

i'm still doing payments and in the first 7 months of ownership have dropped dime for wheels, tint, dash trim kit, springs. now it's time to protect this investment!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im still paying and my list is a bit longer than yours ;P. i intend to keep mine for awhile though. i always laugh when the local dealer sends me a sale regarding trade-in bonuses. I couldnt give them my car at this rate lol.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have way too much money into mine and im still paying on it too
Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm doubling up my payment this year to get paid off, I have over 7k in mods. I bought the car to mod it though.

Sent from my rooted Droid
Old 11-06-2011, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobaltbravo
I'm doubling up my payment this year to get paid off, I have over 7k in mods. I bought the car to mod it though.

Why wouldn't you just put that mod money into your payments? Unless you have a very good finance rate, you save so much money on interest. I've been making double and triple payments on my BMW every month so I'll own it in 2 years instead of 5, and that money I save on interest will mean more more money for mods when it is paid off.

I've made small changes like tint, a spoiler, and a because of a sale that came up, boost gauge and intake.

To those who do serious mods while still financing a car, be smart and make extra payments, then use the savings for parts. patience is a virtue.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the car with the intent to mod it. I'm only making an effort to pay it down because my job is now possibly being eliminated next year.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
Why wouldn't you just put that mod money into your payments? Unless you have a very good finance rate, you save so much money on interest. I've been making double and triple payments on my BMW every month so I'll own it in 2 years instead of 5, and that money I save on interest will mean more more money for mods when it is paid off.

I've made small changes like tint, a spoiler, and a because of a sale that came up, boost gauge and intake.

To those who do serious mods while still financing a car, be smart and make extra payments, then use the savings for parts. patience is a virtue.
im paying extra to pay it off too. guess i just didnt clarify
Old 11-06-2011, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, but I mean, 7k in mods while still paying it off? that car would probably be paid for by now. I just got crazy about it when i started paying with finance calculators on my phone one way and realized how much money i'd save doing this. lol.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that's great financial discipline. so true, so true. i'm at 3.46% for the next 65 mos. and can't wait to pay it off, before then.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3.46%? damn thats good. i bought mines in the wrong time. sept of 08 to be exact with 6.6% interest rate. Im down to about 5k-ish .. I just try to put more into my payment plan .. and w.e is left, I put it on the side till you save enough to buy your mod item... now im just debating if I should just knock it all down over the winter and move onto something else or save it for mods.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Modding is a hobby/addiction. Most people who buy cars with the intent to mod them aren't patient enough to pay it off before beginning the mod process. Plus alot of people can't afford to double and triple payments each month so theres nothing wrong with buying a few parts here and there if the mod bug strikes.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got my 11 xD i think of this always first before modding something even its little like tint. am always JEALOUS!! everytime i see a xD with 18 or 19" wheels.

but everytime i see the amount am going to pay for wheels..

estimate 600-900? oh hell no i said to my self and i rather pay advance than getting a wheels( with a cry )

draxcaliber good advice really really nice..

so far my mods are

LED eye liner headlight.
interior LED dom all lights.
tint.

thats about it not even HID for 70$ aint not gonna buy it.

btw thanks for this post it really help to realize that.

MODS = CAN WAIT CAN BE LATE
PAYMENTS = CAN'T WAIT CAN'T BE LATE
Old 11-07-2011, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

only issue with waiting is by the time you pay it off (unless youre paying insane amounts) then youll be forking over for repairs before you can dip in for mods ;P
Old 11-07-2011, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ThisorThatxD
only issue with waiting is by the time you pay it off (unless youre paying insane amounts) then youll be forking over for repairs before you can dip in for mods ;P
Not an issue for me. I work on cars for a living. I fix everything myself at my shop .

All my extra dollhairs right now goes into my 'i need to buy a house' fund. I love our rental house, but its time to actually own something so then I have a house to mod too .
Old 11-07-2011, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why wouldn't you just put that mod money into your payments? Unless you have a very good finance rate, you save so much money on interest.
Sound advice here.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Cutting and grinding and still making payments
Old 11-09-2011, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member

oooh me! I've done my first mod in less than a week! hahahahah. Le3
Old 11-18-2011, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my wheels were about $450 total and i stuck with the stock tires. Didn't want to wait and take the chance on them getting discontinued. for the price and low weight and looks it was a no brainer. my next choice wheel would have upped the cost to $1300 or so, which includes new tires also. So i figure i saved myself at least $800. but do women understand these things? of course not. it's all non sense to them. boys and their toys FTW.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Easy there champ, my wife can name off all the mods on her tc. Hell, she remembers my mods better than I do sometimes. She helped me do at least a third of them.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The million dollar question is... if your paying off your debt before modding, then would you still want to mod your xd when you can upgrade or get something different? lol

not saying clearing out your debt is a bad thing, but imo I would consider getting something else after im done paying it off lol

edit: nvr mind. I would keep it. gotta focus more in my education and other crap lol

Last edited by xD_kidd91; 11-18-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Modding while making payments